onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

Walka003

12 hours ago, Nofinikea said:

But playing football is his job, its what he earns his living from.  You went to school, college, university perhaps but you will move on.  You will work and possibly get a better offer and move on...  why is it any different for a footballer.  

The flip side to his 200 games is that he has more than repaid the coaching he has received.  

Bottom line is, he is paid to do a job and if somebody wants to pay him more, he would be stupid not to take it given the limited time he has to earn as a pro footballer.  Just like when Popey went to Bury, you cant blame them for one second.

Another example is Ryan Lloyd.  A lad who grew up in the Vale academy.  Wheres the fan loyalty towards him? 

This is a bit one sided really.

I get your point; just always think when a player is brought through a club's academy, and is local, often both parties benefit from the move they deserve.

Smith will do what's best for Smith, which is fine. Just a shame we won't gain from it.

Advert

Smith has played around 200 games for us and has been a near ever-present since he broke into the team. It's not like we've stood by him through serious injuries or controversial times.

I really hope he stays but if he does leave for a higher level club then that can only be a lesson to not let our best young players enter the last year of their contract.

I really like Smith, and would love him to stay, but I find the talk of him going to the Championship a little bizarre.

He's great at what he does - fighting, blocking shots, being aggressive etc but to play in the Championship I'd expect a CB to be more cultured on the ball and with better distribution? Also I think his lack of height and pace may count against him.

I'd say his ceiling would be a bottom half to mid table L1 club?

12 hours ago, Valearmy19 said:

Just seen this on Twitter, think he’s a very talented player I remember him being at Stoke as a young lad. 

Also been at Millwall, Sheff Wed, Blackburn and Norwich etc so he’s played for some good teams (apart from stoke) 😉 

Would well be worth a punt however I’d be interested to know what wages we offer out. Id imagine he would want £5k a week minimum 

He's a top player but given him being without a club for a while, maybe an offer of £2,000 a week and being back in the shop window is better than another year out of the game?

Unless Salford chuck some money at him like they're about to do with £4m striker Will Grigg.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

I get your point; just always think when a player is brought through a club's academy, and is local, often both parties benefit from the move they deserve.

Smith will do what's best for Smith, which is fine. Just a shame we won't gain from it.

We all know that when the time comes there would no loyalty shown from the club to him if a manager wanted him out. To think they’d sign a new deal just to get the club a fee is just a fanciful idea. Football much is more ruthless than that in every aspect. It makes no difference to the players below 24 if they signed or not as the club still get a fee, but it could jeopardise a move for a player over 24.

Also look at the stick he was getting early last season from the people on here wanting him out of the side or those ringing praise and grumble about him. Things are quickly to change in football, players and managers know it, but fans want it all roads and in their favour. 

If the club believed that the younger players like smith, Gibbons, lloyd, Burgess are the future backbone of the club to build on then they should have been offering these players extensions long before now and at the right price IMO. Reality is that if Vale wanted to buy a new centre half with Smiths experience from another club then they would be paying top dollar for him wages wise, and therefore the club should do the same when offering them new deals. Because if he goes I think we’d pay more for a replacement unless we stumble across a cheap gem. That’s an easy way to prevent their heads being turned initially, but once players catch wind of clubs maybe higher up, or clubs with a bigger budget then it’s no surprise to me that they’d hold out to see what’s on offer. I don’t blame them and I really believe that if we were lucky enough to be in that situation making a living as a pro footballer then we’d do the same too. 

I think this happens every year and can't see us offering new contracts until the window is closed now. I don't want Smith to leave but by not offering him one right now it allows clubs to make a cheeky bid, and if it's a ridiculously good offer we could take it. If he signed a new contract right now then we wouldn't get any offers. I won't be panicking until mid-end of Feb

32 minutes ago, Nofinikea said:

It's not Smith's lookout though.  It's the clubs fault for allowing his contract to run down.  He is the sort of player we should have been offering 5 years to a couple of years ago.  It's up to the club to protect themselves not the player.

If we end up with nothing it's the clubs fault.

I doubt any young footballer who has aspirations of playing higher in the league would have signed a 5 year deal with us a few years ago.

On 18/01/2020 at 10:31, Wrex said:

No. Transfermarket.com has one but it says Pope's contract ends this summer so that isn't very reliable. From checking each individual player's Wikipedia's I get this:

2020: Jordan Archer, Kieran Kennedy, Jonny Maddison, Shaun Brisley, Daniel Trickett-Smith, Ryan Lloyd, Scott Burgess, David Amoo, Callum Evans, Nathan Smith, Scott Brown, James Gibbons, Luke Joyce, Leon Legge, Cristian Montano, Will Atkinson, Mark Cullen
2021: Alex Hurst, Ryan Campbell-Gordon, Richie Bennett, Adam Crookes, Manny Oyeleke, Tom Pope
Unspecified: Rhys Browne, David Worrall, Tom Conlon
Loan: Jake Taylor

So unless players have signed deals on the quiet or they have secret extension clauses like Aspin used to put in them then that's what we're looking at.

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/port-vale-players-contract-details-3757417

The Sentinel have reported it now. As a few pointed out I missed Brown's contract extension to 2021. Trickett-Smith is also here until 2021.  Browne and Worrall's contracts run until this summer. They say it is believed that Conlon's deal also runs out this summer.

56 minutes ago, Wrex said:

https://www.stokesentinel.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/port-vale-players-contract-details-3757417

The Sentinel have reported it now. As a few pointed out I missed Brown's contract extension to 2021. Trickett-Smith is also here until 2021.  Browne and Worrall's contracts run until this summer. They say it is believed that Conlon's deal also runs out this summer.

How on earth did Trickett Smith bag a deal to 2021?

Was that a 2.5 year deal when he was signed?

Good old Norm

We have a good team. Keep the best ones and we will be fine. I’d let Cullen go and controversally, Legge as he won’t last many more seasons. 

Other than that I’d like to think we are saving for a summer war chest. 

The window on paper makes last seasons disaster look like a golden age of spending and Norman like the candyman. 

However each player in that window was an awful freebie loan of players who barely started. 

Hope Vale are not looking for 10+ players in the summer, does nothing for consistency and team work on the pitch and squad moral. I'd like to see most of the players who've played regularly in the first team and match day squad this season signed up, they form the basis of a very good Lge 2 squad.

Archived