onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

Walka003

43 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

If Vale don’t offer players like Smith what the going rate is and there is interest from other clubs, then it wouldn’t take an agent to tell them to not sign. It’s a no brainer of a decision isn’t it. Why would he sign right now?

I'd be shocked if he does. If he was my son I'd tell him not to. He's potentially got 6 - 8 years to set himself up for life. 2 seasons on 8 - 10k a week would pretty much do that. That chance may only turn up once in his career, he'll be 26 or 27 next time he's out of contract and pushing the age envelope for a big Championship team to take a punt. Desperately hope he stays but don't see it being resolved favourably until he sees if someone a lot bigger comes in for him. He can always sign a deal in June if nobody takes a punt. We can't compete with 8k a week, it's pushing 1/3 of our budget.

Advert

29 minutes ago, JRC said:

I'd be shocked if he does. If he was my son I'd tell him not to. He's potentially got 6 - 8 years to set himself up for life. 2 seasons on 8 - 10k a week would pretty much do that. That chance may only turn up once in his career, he'll be 26 or 27 next time he's out of contract and pushing the age envelope for a big Championship team to take a punt. Desperately hope he stays but don't see it being resolved favourably until he sees if someone a lot bigger comes in for him. He can always sign a deal in June if nobody takes a punt. We can't compete with 8k a week, it's pushing 1/3 of our budget.

Maybe I pine for an age in football where local lads which owe their career to owe academy and football club would sign a one year extension with a commonly agreed release clause (lets say £100k) which we have to accept if a team offers a bid.

It would be severly disappointing if Smith/his representative choose to run his deal down and leave us with nothing. Would completely tarnish his reputation amongst the fanbase, but I guess that's only an issue if he cares.

12 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Maybe I pine for an age in football where local lads which owe their career to owe academy and football club would sign a one year extension with a commonly agreed release clause (lets say £100k) which we have to accept if a team offers a bid.

It would be severly disappointing if Smith/his representative choose to run his deal down and leave us with nothing. Would completely tarnish his reputation amongst the fanbase, but I guess that's only an issue if he cares.

If Smith had a serious leg injury and hadn't played in 15 months we'd have been looking to get rid; fans, players and directors. Loyalty in football is really smoke and mirrors. Ask the 2 youth players just released; it's one of the most ruthless industries there is.

34 minutes ago, Joe B said:

They are usually added at the request of the player and agent because by the same token a player although he may be happy to sign would also want to be able to leave relatively easily if someone comes in for him.  A big fee could put off potential buyers.

As @JRC Mentions above there is no loyalty in football from any party, players have to look after themselves. Listen to players and managers talk in interviews and the transient nature of the game is the norm and accepted, but fans have a different view because we aren’t in the industry. 

I suspect our budget next year will be a little higher than this year.  The owners won't have to ring fence cash for the sort of stuff they had to do this close season to ensure compliance with league regulations re the ground and so on.  I hope they sort out the likes of Smith sooner rather than later or we will lose him for nothing - that would be a disaster in my opinion.
If its only a "little" higher given the money we've made this year then I'd be seriously disappointed.

It's not every year we will have these kinds of funds at our disposal, we need to give it a go next year b

4 hours ago, JRC said:

If Smith had a serious leg injury and hadn't played in 15 months we'd have been looking to get rid; fans, players and directors. Loyalty in football is really smoke and mirrors. Ask the 2 youth players just released; it's one of the most ruthless industries there is.

I don't get your point.

Smith hasn't had a serious leg injury. He's played nearly 200 games for the club and has been able to play professional football partly due to the coaching we gave him as a lad.

I get most players are mercenaries but I always hope players produced by us would be decent enough to ensure we get a bit of cash from bringing him through. I would be very disappointed if this situation is manipulated so that some very decent offers from the club are rejected to enable Smith to leave for free in the summer.

Maybe those morals don't exist any more; I just assumed Smith would be one of the players who'd want the best for the club who got him to this point, being local. Would tarnish my view of him personally.

A lad called Ben Marshall was released by Norwich in the summer; 28, can play as a winger and right back, came through at United, Crewe, and Stoke. Played 100+ games at Championship level and has nearly 400 appearances, nearly all above League 2.

He appears to be playing for a non-league side to keep fit and wants a team in his area; he's from Salford.

No idea if there's injury problems but maybe would be worth a look.

20 minutes ago, Joe B said:

A lad called Ben Marshall was released by Norwich in the summer; 28, can play as a winger and right back, came through at United, Crewe, and Stoke. Played 100+ games at Championship level and has nearly 400 appearances, nearly all above League 2.

He appears to be playing for a non-league side to keep fit and wants a team in his area; he's from Salford.

No idea if there's injury problems but maybe would be worth a look.

Just seen this on Twitter, think he’s a very talented player I remember him being at Stoke as a young lad. 

Also been at Millwall, Sheff Wed, Blackburn and Norwich etc so he’s played for some good teams (apart from stoke) 😉 

Would well be worth a punt however I’d be interested to know what wages we offer out. Id imagine he would want £5k a week minimum 

6 hours ago, Joe B said:

Smith can't pay his bills with loyalty,Smith can't set himself up for the future with loyalty,if he's offered more money and a say a 3 year contract with all the add ons , plus a lump sum, signing on fee, appearance bonus's etc.that go with modern transfer deal he will go, of course he will,unless the Vale want to match the other clubs offer he's on his bike,it's common sense,very frustrating for us but thats the nature of the beast and modern football.

2 hours ago, Walka003 said:

If its only a "little" higher given the money we've made this year then I'd be seriously disappointed.

It's not every year we will have these kinds of funds at our disposal, we need to give it a go next year b

If we sign players on, say a two year contract, the extra money we have made out of the cup run will have to be spread over that time, not splashed all in one go.  That's why I said a little higher.

It's not just Smithy it's Gibbo as well.

Surely the best for all involved is that we offer them improved terms (within what we can afford), for 2/3 years. With a buy out clause that is not high enough to put "better" teams off. Maybe 10-20k. That way they feel rewarded for their efforts. Have security for the immediate future at Vale. But if a bigger team offering more come in, they can still move on. We make a bit of cash, which we wouldn't make if they just run their contracts down. Even if not market value.

I'm sure Carol and Kevin are smart enough to know this.

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

If we sign players on, say a two year contract, the extra money we have made out of the cup run will have to be spread over that time, not splashed all in one go.  That's why I said a little higher.

Ahh I see where you are coming from 😀

3 hours ago, toyahw said:

Surely the best for all involved is that we offer them improved terms (within what we can afford), for 2/3 years. With a buy out clause that is not high enough to put "better" teams off. Maybe 10-20k. That way they feel rewarded for their efforts. Have security for the immediate future at Vale. But if a bigger team offering more come in, they can still move on. We make a bit of cash, which we wouldn't make if they just run their contracts down. Even if not market value.

Gibbo is different we will get compensation if he doesn't sign. Gibbo and Smith already have security as they will both have offers if they were available on a free. The players without security are the likes of Lloyd who probably aren't going to be offered contracts by us and in all likelihood by anyone else.

7 hours ago, toyahw said:

With both these players i hope they aren’t treated like someone in the real world who’s come though as a graduate, trainee or an apprentice where they usually are the lowest paid workers and are seen as an easy option to not pay what the going rate is (whatever that rate may be in league 2).

As already mentioned if someone comes in for Gibbo then they would have to pay compensation because of his age and I’m sure,  (not quite 100% though), that compensation would also take into account any new contract offer we may have made him as well, again because of his age. 

Archived