onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

Walka003

Advert

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

it tells you everything about the player in my opinion that the likes of Andrade, Towell, Rooney etc are prepared to sign for the cash cow that is The class of 92. 

I don't think i want that sort of mercenary at Port Vale whether they are great or not.

I’m not ashamed to say that if I was a league 2 footballer it would be very difficult to turn down the kind of ridiculous cash they are chucking around. At that rate and the players they’re signing you’d also expect them to be making a push for promotion if not this season then next. Ambition + money talks and players know there is little loyalty in football from anyone, including their parent club.

Also if we had the resources here then I don’t believe fans wouldn’t be getting excited about the club going for it. Look how fans were getting excited on here when we were signing a bunch of nobody loan players from the likes of Sheffield Wednesday and Bournemouth a couple of seasons ago, so I can see them being the same if we started to get players of Andrades supposed quality in. 

3 hours ago, darren1810 said:

The question is though mate. going for what exactly ? To finish 13th ?

January as we know more than anybody is a weird time for signings, panic sets in or desperation. I'm not sure why they are deciding to splash the cash now on Elliott and Andrade as they are going nowhere this season and aren't in danger of the drop either.

It tells you everything about the player in my opinion that the likes of Andrade, Towell, Rooney etc are prepared to sign for the cash cow that is The class of 92. 

I don't think i want that sort of mercenary at Port Vale whether they are great or not.

98% of lower league footballers are mercenaries, and rightly so. They don't earn loads and have short career lengths.

I'd have Andrade here in a heartbeat; bar Smith, Pope, and Gibbo, every all player here would most likely leave if they were offered more money.

Just had a quick look at the Lincoln forum to see what their fans are saying about the Andrade transfer.  The fee is rumoured to be £200,000 and that's before you look at the wage costs.  I thought this post summed it all up though:

He says that Salford matched his ambition. What, to play for a manufactured club with no fans in the bottom half of League Two?

And does that imply that a progressive League One club with 10,000 sell-outs did not match his ambition?

What is his ambition, then?

26 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

The obsession with it is baffling! 

433 is a large part of why we're so tough to beat. Every time we've gone 442 (late on vs Grimbsy, Mansfield at home) we've looked dog. Most decent teams avoid simply because the middle is so open.

It doesn't suit our strikers but imo keep 433 and change the forward, rather than keep the forward and change the system. It clearly suits the likes of Joyce, Taylor, Burgess, Worrall, and Amoo.

Just had a quick look at the Lincoln forum to see what their fans are saying about the Andrade transfer.  The fee is rumoured to be £200,000 and that's before you look at the wage costs.  I thought this post summed it all up though:
He says that Salford matched his ambition. What, to play for a manufactured club with no fans in the bottom half of League Two?

And does that imply that a progressive League One club with 10,000 sell-outs did not match his ambition?

It's a joke Jean and so are the club. I can't do with them.

Just now, Joe B said:

433 is a large part of why we're so tough to beat. Every time we've gone 442 (late on vs Grimbsy, Mansfield at home) we've looked dog. Most decent teams avoid simply because the middle is so open.

It doesn't suit our strikers but imo keep 433 and change the forward, rather than keep the forward and change the system. It clearly suits the likes of Joyce, Taylor, Burgess, Worrall, and Amoo.

Exactly this, still can't see why people think 4-4-2 is a formation which can bring season long success in this day and age. Leaves you far too open in the middle of the park. No top level side uses it anymore for that reason.

I have no real love for Salford, but I struggle to marry up the continual bashing of absent/corrupt owners in the lower leagues, with a concurrent bashing of Manchester-based, self-made millionaires investing a lot of money into a Manchester-based non-league football team. What are we asking for? "You can be rich and interested in your club, that's good, but you can't spend too much money"?. We can't have it both ways. The Class of 92 are exactly the owners we want to have in the lower leagues; local, with money, and interested in bettering their club. We can't then start moralising about what they spend their money on (in this case, a new ground and a good player).

Give me the Class of 92 over Norman, Steve Dale, Alan Hardy, Bassini et al any day. Yes its all a bit artificial but they're put real money in the lower leagues, and take a real, active interest into what they're doing. We'd be elated to sign Andrade. Big spenders are part and parcel of football going back to Jack Walker in the 1990s.

I'd much prefer Neville and his chums to invest in the lower leagues than buy shares in United. Salford got lucky, but literally every team in England would be well pleased to have local millionaires send them surging up the table. If every owner was like them, English football would be in a far better state.

3 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

It's a financial ambition,they are young lads who realise that they work in an environment where the money can stop pretty quickly due to injury,so if a long term contract is offered somewhere else,with more salary, a signing on fee, relocation costs, travelling expenses etc. the players agent will tell him to move and more often than not he will go,he wont bother if he's playing in front of one man and his dog.

The Salford situation is almost unique in our division.  They can sign players on big wages and not cause dressing room unrest because virtually every other member of their squad will be on a similar, certainly higher than average, wage.  Ok, there are the other big spenders like Mansfield, Swindon, Bradford etc but non of these have owners with such wealth.

Salford have the finances to add recognised players during every window, hence the constant churning of the squad.

I’m unsure how/when financial fair play comes into play in all this but you can bet that Salford, like our neighbours down the road, will be working to find a way around the rules, or get them overturned.

Archived