onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

Walka003

Salford have more cash than a few third world countries.  They are paying Adam Rooney £6,000 a week and he's scored less than Pope this season.  The club is owned by a billionnaire and 6 multi millionnaires.  Salford in their current form is not sustainable because there is not enough local support.  Just over 300 home fans for our game there last week and a home average well below 3,000 tells us that.  Players go to Salford for the money, they come to Vale because we are really nice!

Advert

19 hours ago, I HAVE A DREAM said:

A sensible post spoilt in my opinion by the little dig at Askey at the end

Sorry but it’s a case of look what you might have won.

How many games have we lost at the death by not bringing on a sub at the last few minutes.(Mansfield).

But I must admit it makes a change to pinch a game with a last minute penalty.(Stevenage).

Actually if we had managed to win all the games we have scored first we would be top of the league.

Again on Saturday it shows that if the wingers and midfield don’t get up to support Pope we struggle to break down poor teams who sit back and hope for a break away to score.

Being so predictable with one up front costs us points when we can’t score or allows their wing backs to come forward and overload our midfield.

At least if we tried two up front with Pope and Cullen we would give their defenders more to think about.

1 hour ago, robf said:

Cullen and Amoo were experienced players which we added in the summer.

For me, it's all about striking a balance. Not every "proven" player will work out nor will every chancer.

However, I think we've got an experienced spine - Brown, Legge, Joyce, Pope - which helps the less experienced players and I'd be a bit concerned that adding more experience could overload the balance a bit like it did under Michael Brown when we fielded an immobile midfield of pensionable aged players. 

Personally, I don't really care if our next signing is a well-known face or a complete unknown, it's about how he performs in a Vale shirt which is the important bit.

I’m not saying Salford per se. I know how they’re funded, and so be it.

But for absolute ages, we’ve been crying out for a proven striker. But especially in that area, we always seem to sign chancers, while other clubs we can compare ourselves to, more than Salford, sign proven strikers who bags a bunch for them. People say we have a wage structure, but a Danish PM once said: “you have a standpoint, until you take a new one”.
And if we really want a striker, not guaranteed but with better odds of hitting 15-20+ than what we have signed for many many years, we have to change our standpoint a bit.

4 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

But for absolute ages, we’ve been crying out for a proven striker. But especially in that area, we always seem to sign chancers, while other clubs we can compare ourselves to, more than Salford, sign proven strikers who bags a bunch for them. People say we have a wage structure, but a Danish PM once said: “you have a standpoint, until you take a new one”.
And if we really want a striker, not guaranteed but with better odds of hitting 15-20+ than what we have signed for many many years, we have to change our standpoint a bit.

I agree with your sentiment.

I'm also pretty sure this will come.

We're already progressing better than expected.

So much to do.

It will take time and patience.

If we are re-established as a respectable mid table league one club in 5 years time, then I would consider that to be a job well done.

We've already taken some decent strides in that direction.

The difference is that Salford are trying to rush up the leagues as quickly as possible and have the funds to do so. Whether that’s sustainable is another thing. But we do not have those funds which is why we have to try and build it slowly and steadily. So to me there’s no point comparing us to them. 

39 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

There are only 3 players in this league in with a realistic chance of 20 goals this season. 

It's the easiest thing to criticise people for not spending money on things we want. It's a completely different thing when it's your own money. The Shanahan's aren't that wealthy. I'm sure they'd welcome a 200,000 a year donation to fund a really top striker. We have a wage structure because we don't have the Coates family as owners but people who can't afford to put 10 million a year into the club.

1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

Salford are really going for it, Andrade, Linked with Pearce, Michael O'Connor and now Will Grigg is linked apparently. 

The question is though mate. going for what exactly ? To finish 13th ?

January as we know more than anybody is a weird time for signings, panic sets in or desperation. I'm not sure why they are deciding to splash the cash now on Elliott and Andrade as they are going nowhere this season and aren't in danger of the drop either.

It tells you everything about the player in my opinion that the likes of Andrade, Towell, Rooney etc are prepared to sign for the cash cow that is The class of 92. 

I don't think i want that sort of mercenary at Port Vale whether they are great or not.

45 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

I can see your angle but I'm not sure I agree with the striker comments. Pope's been a consistent scorer for years and this season arguably Cullen and Bennett would both reach double figures if they were in the starting eleven more.

Bearing in mind we tend to play one central striker in the formation - our central striking position has netted 18 times already this season (if you tally up Pope, Cullen and Bennett). When you add in that we're adding goals from midfield and wide positions this season as well, I think we've got plenty of goals in this side. 

I would think rather than bringing a striker in, the question is more how you accomodate those three strikers - for instance, although Pope's recent goal tally is good, I do think having just him upfront lacks mobility and leaves us very one dimensional. However, I guess the counter-argument is - he has scored some vital goals as a solitary striker and having two central strikers will leave us more open in midfield and could see us concede more. 

So, for me, I think we have the depth upfront - it's how it is used which will determine how much of a goalthreat we are.

42 minutes ago, robf said:

I can see your angle but I'm not sure I agree with the striker comments. Pope's been a consistent scorer for years and this season arguably Cullen and Bennett would both reach double figures if they were in the starting eleven more.

Bearing in mind we tend to play one central striker in the formation - our central striking position has netted 18 times already this season (if you tally up Pope, Cullen and Bennett). When you add in that we're adding goals from midfield and wide positions this season as well, I think we've got plenty of goals in this side. 

I would think rather than bringing a striker in, the question is more how you accomodate those three strikers - for instance, although Pope's recent goal tally is good, I do think having just him upfront lacks mobility and leaves us very one dimensional. However, I guess the counter-argument is - he has scored some vital goals as a solitary striker and having two central strikers will leave us more open in midfield and could see us concede more. 

So, for me, I think we have the depth upfront - it's how it is used which will determine how much of a goalthreat we are.

There have been plenty of promoted teams with only one up front in recent years. Burton got to The Championship with there leading goalscorers all on 10. If you are going to do well in a 4 3 3 you need 3/4 of the wide and midfield players close to double figures. At the moment only Taylor is on course to achieve that. Burgess isn't too far off. Amoo and Worrall really need to be scoring more.

Sorry but it’s a case of look what you might have won.
How many games have we lost at the death by not bringing on a sub at the last few minutes.(Mansfield).
But I must admit it makes a change to pinch a game with a last minute penalty.(Stevenage).
Actually if we had managed to win all the games we have scored first we would be top of the league.
Again on Saturday it shows that if the wingers and midfield don’t get up to support Pope we struggle to break down poor teams who sit back and hope for a break away to score.
Being so predictable with one up front costs us points when we can’t score or allows their wing backs to come forward and overload our midfield.
At least if we tried two up front with Pope and Cullen we would give their defenders more to think about.

We tried two up front at Macclesfield away and it was a disaster. The 3 in midfield is required to stop us getting overrun.

16 minutes ago, STUNG said:

didn't forest green do what salford are doing a few year ago? bottom of the league at the turn of the year etc and came back strongly.

If you have money to burn bringing 5/6 players in can make a big difference, it can also fail by upsetting the team spirit. It may not upset players at Salford since they are there for the money and expect a high turnover and high pay compensates. Building slowly on a tight budget is a different process and dependent on a tight knit team spirit. Not that anyone complains when their team can push the boat out.

Archived