onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

Walka003

1 hour ago, Playa Amodores said:

Just a terrace rumour on Saturday that Forest want a six figure sum for Jake Taylor, does anyone think we should continue our pursuit of Jake, or is it a step too far. I don’t want C&K spending all the FA cup money on one player. I am a big fan of Jake and would like him to stay but not at the detriment of our budget for players. If we do push the boat out, I can’t see that there should be a sell on clause as well.

As anyone heard anything to the contrary or have heard the same

He's a great player and could become a Championship one but I think its too much  to pay for him. With Conlon back from injury and suspension ,he can provide us the energy in midfield and Manny hopefully returning to fitness within the next month or so.We need a player who is prepared to control the game with a bit of creativity, plus a striker.

I would expect L1 clubs try and sign him on loan and Forest look to keep him for another couple of years to see if he can make the step up.

Advert

A low six figure see is realistic (rumour was that’s what we’d offered on some sites).

Look at it this way if we invest that and then he develops as per the potential he has we can flog him for a lot more than that. This is where we have to weigh up the pros and cons of that gamble on the investment it would be.

26 minutes ago, MBE said:

He's a great player and could become a Championship one but I think its too much  to pay for him. With Conlon back from injury and suspension ,he can provide us the energy in midfield and Manny hopefully returning to fitness within the next month or so.We need a player who is prepared to control the game with a bit of creativity, plus a striker.

I would expect L1 clubs try and sign him on loan and Forest look to keep him for another couple of years to see if he can make the step up.

IMO Conlon hasn’t got nowhere near the energy of Jake Taylor and won’t score goals either like Taylor does. He’s happy here he’s scoring goals and playing a big part in our league position. We need to try and sign him for me. Young goal scoring midfielders don’t come about a lot and we seem to have managed to stumble on one here. 

In this case I'd rather all the available money  be spent on jake, on one quality player who we know can do the business for Vale at this level, Vale know his character, he's young and has tremendous potential rather than signing 2 or 3 OK players. Quality over quantity any time and in this case known over unknown, Vale can only try their best to sign him, how often does an opportunity like this come along.

Jake Taylor is the type and quality of player who will power us to promotion and put bums on seats, do all we can within reason to sign him. He's the closest I've seen at VP for a long time to a Jonny Green, Ray Walker or a Robbie Earle.

And whist we're at it get Scott Burgess signed up to a longer contract.

32 minutes ago, Paul6754 said:

In this case I'd rather all the available money  be spent on jake, on one quality player who we know can do the business for Vale at this level, Vale know his character, he's young and has tremendous potential rather than signing 2 or 3 OK players. Quality over quantity any time and in this case known over unknown, Vale can only try their best to sign him, how often does an opportunity like this come along.

Jake Taylor is the type and quality of player who will power us to promotion and put bums on seats, do all we can within reason to sign him. He's the closest I've seen at VP for a long time to a Jonny Green, Ray Walker or a Robbie Earle.

And whist we're at it get Scott Burgess signed up to a longer contract.

Jonny Green.....now that is a blast from the past! One of my all time favourites....absolute class. How much would he have been worth in today's market?

1 hour ago, valefan16 said:

Look at it this way if we invest that and then he develops as per the potential he has we can flog him for a lot more than that. This is where we have to weigh up the pros and cons of that gamble on the investment it would be.

That, surely, is the Rudgie model, and something people have been saying we need to get back to? So if the chance to sign Taylor is there, and we can afford it, we should do it - at least we know his quality, already?

I'd love Taylor to sign but it's not just the transfer fee. At the moment we only contribute to his wages so if he signs there are also additional wage costs to find. The owners and the manage are the only ones in a position to make the call really.

If the rumours are true we are in for a midfielder and defender does that mean Atkinson and Kennedy will be leaving?

Someone’s got to make a decision about our chances of going up. No point signing anyone who’s not capable of League 1 if the view is we’ve got a chance. Also means we’ll have to pay more in wages in Div 1 so is it worth the risk to break the current pay regime?

17 minutes ago, JohnJames said:

Someone’s got to make a decision about our chances of going up. No point signing anyone who’s not capable of League 1 if the view is we’ve got a chance. Also means we’ll have to pay more in wages in Div 1 so is it worth the risk to break the current pay regime?

I think the summer window will be all about holding onto our better players and bringing in 2 or 3 good enough for the next league. Currently we're pretty solid top of mid table. Promotion won't make a giant difference to our budget unless gates improve.

45 minutes ago, JohnJames said:

Increased TV money helps, I am sure Carol has it in mind.

On 03/01/2020 at 19:11, sandyford_valiant said:

IMO Conlon hasn’t got nowhere near the energy of Jake Taylor and won’t score goals either like Taylor does. He’s happy here he’s scoring goals and playing a big part in our league position. We need to try and sign him for me. Young goal scoring midfielders don’t come about a lot and we seem to have managed to stumble on one here. 

I thought Conlon looked good when he came on today but Taylor looked a little out of his depth.

Archived