onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

Walka003

42 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

The Macc manager has just resigned, stating lack of resources. A quick fooking throws up he may be off the Leyton Orient.

I don’t think he will be the last to leave this window.

They are in financial turmoil.

Surely with Askey/Garlick's links we can slip them a bit of cash for a few of their better players? Archibald, Ironside, Welch-Hayes, Gnahoua, Osadebe, Kelleher are all of the right age and would add something to our squad.

Hate to be profiting from a club's demise but they're going to go bust if they don't get cash injections sharpish, which, barring a takeover, isn't going to happen unless they sell of some players before they're out of contract.

Advert

9 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

Brother of the ex Cheltenham striker. 

I have to agree and even though it's only based on one game he is one of the most dangerous and impressive players I've seen this season. They battered us 2-1 that day . I'd imagine Scunny could pay him more than we can dream of . 

Van Veen, Gillead, and Eisa were all superb that day. Would take any of them, but agree we'd struggle to afford/prise them away.

I did have a gander at the National League top scorers, but when you see Scott Quigley on 15, Gime Toure (a truly abysmal trialist we had last summer) on 11, Tyrone Barnett and Dior Angus on 8, maybe its time we left that league alone for goal scorers.

We were stung by Miller, Angus never seemed good enough, and were chasing Jason Oswell from Stockport, who is now doing nothing at Wrexham.

There will be some reasonable footballers if you have the right scouting network (Hugill was playing in tier 8), but whilst I used to be all for non-league signings, I'd probably stray away from forwards.

4 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I did have a gander at the National League top scorers, but when you see Scott Quigley on 15, Gime Toure (a truly abysmal trialist we had last summer) on 11, Tyrone Barnett and Dior Angus on 8, maybe its time we left that league alone for goal scorers.

We were stung by Miller, Angus never seemed good enough, and were chasing Jason Oswell from Stockport, who is now doing nothing at Wrexham.

There will be some reasonable footballers if you have the right scouting network (Hugill was playing in tier 8), but whilst I used to be all for non-league signings, I'd probably stray away from forwards.

TBF, Angus was never given a chance. Not saying he would have been good enough, but we will never know. 

Siriki Dembélé 
Tore us to bits. Now plays for Peterborough. 
Just a couple of players needed to be a promotion side, but more than anything else is consistency. Seen some terrific performances , followed by just alright performances. Also need to see games out after winning positions . We WOULD have been up there if we had done this . Even with our present squad of players

Gambles are gambles, some pay out some don`t. Askey has knowledge of NL, picking up players from there or the FL who we can develop is good business on our attendances. Cup income helps but does not happen every season. Interesting times for a change.

23 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I agree. Decent strikers need league experience. If we unearth a non league gem it will be down to purely luck. 

Contrary to opinion, Angus had plenty of chances. He was poor. Miller looked good at times and I liked him on the ball, but he was simply a prat. 

If I was the manager I would devote everything to a new left back. Believe me, that will make a massive difference. If we get the right one, we will make the playoffs. 

I thought the Macc' no9 looked a half-decent player. He's the first guy I've seen this season who has actually challenged Legge effectively and consistently in the air! 

Completely agree think he’s be a very good addition, he gave them a very hard time... and also looks in the mould of a Tom Pope.

5 minutes ago, fraggle said:

Completely agree think he’s be a very good addition, he gave them a very hard time... and also looks in the mould of a Tom Pope.

Given what's going on at Macc', and the fact that he appears to be OOC at the end of the season, I suppose if Askey rates him at all he'll be on the list to either monitor or make a move this month. Seemed to be the type of player who would suit Askey's system down to the ground

54 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Given what's going on at Macc', and the fact that he appears to be OOC at the end of the season, I suppose if Askey rates him at all he'll be on the list to either monitor or make a move this month. Seemed to be the type of player who would suit Askey's system down to the ground

There’s not much loyalty in football but, given Sir John’s connection with Macc, I wonder if he’d rather not profit from their current situation?  This is pure hypothesis of course.

Don’t get the fascination with a new left back.  In the majority of games Monty has played well defensively as well as creating chances / goals.  He is ‘unorthodox’ at times, but has the potential to get better also.  

I do appreciate he makes mistakes on occasions - just as Gibbo does on the other side.  

To say he’s not a proper full back is just a very lazy assessment.  Simon Mills was a converted midfielder, and Leon was also formerly a midfielder, as was Dean Glover.  Swanny was a centre forward who had more success as a centre back.  Anthony Gardner was a striker in the Youth set up.  

Numerous players successfully convert to different roles in their careers, and Monty is well on the way to achieving this.

Happy for John to strengthen as he sees fit, just do not see Left back to be the necessity others do

6 hours ago, philmpv said:

I thought the Macc' no9 looked a half-decent player. He's the first guy I've seen this season who has actually challenged Legge effectively and consistently in the air! 

Joe Ironside,a 26 year old striker who has played in non-league for most of his career but seems to like playing against us?

1 hour ago, Bald Eagle said:

Don’t get the fascination with a new left back.  In the majority of games Monty has played well defensively as well as creating chances / goals.  He is ‘unorthodox’ at times, but has the potential to get better also.  

I do appreciate he makes mistakes on occasions - just as Gibbo does on the other side.  

To say he’s not a proper full back is just a very lazy assessment.  Simon Mills was a converted midfielder, and Leon was also formerly a midfielder, as was Dean Glover.  Swanny was a centre forward who had more success as a centre back.  Anthony Gardner was a striker in the Youth set up.  

Numerous players successfully convert to different roles in their careers, and Monty is well on the way to achieving this.

Happy for John to strengthen as he sees fit, just do not see Left back to be the necessity others do

I understand your point but don’t think it’s a lazy assessment.

I fully agree that Monty has had some excellent performances playing left back, and if he adds consistency to that could be a very good player in that position. Until then however, most teams seem to target us down that side and I would say Crookes is still learning his trade on the left... meaning he was making some mistakes.

I would consider us to have good cover at right back in Atkinson, Centre half in Brisley but not at left back... hence why I think bringing one in would help out. 

13 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I understand your point but don’t think it’s a lazy assessment.

I fully agree that Monty has had some excellent performances playing left back, and if he adds consistency to that could be a very good player in that position. Until then however, most teams seem to target us down that side and I would say Crookes is still learning his trade on the left... meaning he was making some mistakes.

I would consider us to have good cover at right back in Atkinson, Centre half in Brisley but not at left back... hence why I think bringing one in would help out. 

Has played 12 games at full back since being switched there at Bradford (played poorly on wing vs. Walsall).  

Of those 12 games we have kept 6 clean sheets, and beaten high flying Bradford, Crwho, Swindon and Cheltenham (in the cup).  deservedly MoTM in last 2 games, and has created several goals.  Agree he has been targeted, but stats show he is standing up to the test.

All players make mistakes, but in reality I think only the opener at Mansfield has cost us.  I am confident he will continue to thrive in this role, only game time/experience will enable this.

if John feels the need for a back up left back then fine, as agree Crookes looks very raw (unless other squad members can step up to the plate) but would prefer him to direct the money to a goal scoring centre forward instead if someone like a Lee Hughes is available.

23 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

Has played 12 games at full back since being switched there at Bradford (played poorly on wing vs. Walsall).  

Of those 12 games we have kept 6 clean sheets, and beaten high flying Bradford, Crwho, Swindon and Cheltenham (in the cup).  deservedly MoTM in last 2 games, and has created several goals.  Agree he has been targeted, but stats show he is standing up to the test.

All players make mistakes, but in reality I think only the opener at Mansfield has cost us.  I am confident he will continue to thrive in this role, only game time/experience will enable this.

if John feels the need for a back up left back then fine, as agree Crookes looks very raw (unless other squad members can step up to the plate) but would prefer him to direct the money to a goal scoring centre forward instead if someone like a Lee Hughes is available.

I think we are agreeing... I like Monty at left back. I would just like cover, and for that cover to be a recognised left back.

Archived