onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

Walka003

Advert

52 minutes ago, philmpv said:

I thought the Macc' no9 looked a half-decent player. He's the first guy I've seen this season who has actually challenged Legge effectively and consistently in the air! 

Yes I was impressed by him too! 

Askey has always been a fan of Guthrie at Stevenage. I can’t imagine he would be on much. It would be interesting to see if we made a bid if they went down.

That said, for all I know he could be on good money and I wouldn’t want us to break the bank.

For me a good January would be getting Gibbo, Wozza and Smudge tied down.

A great one would then add Taylor (at the right price)

And I do think a recognised left back would be useful!

1 hour ago, philmpv said:

Whomever we sign, if they're not 'known' or 'proven League 2 quality players', I fully expect the usual suspects to cry, moan and shout about the 'lack of ambition' and 'terrible recruitment', as per usual. By far our best performing players over the past 2-3 years have been:

1. Gibbons

2. Smith

3. Streete

4. Alex Jones

5. Jake Taylor

6. Scott Burgess

All of the above had little to no league experience

7. Legge

8. Worrall

9. Brown

10. Pope

11. Eagles (albeit for a very limited period)

12. Joyce

League experience is no guarantee of success, and nor is no league experience a guarantee of failure. I'd be happy, this window, with a loan signing at LB of a promising youngster (or, even, Campbell Gordon to be given a chance, if only from the bench initially) or an experienced guy who doesn't cost the earth, Jake Taylor to sign permanently, and a striker to offer more than those we have currently (though strikers in January are notoriously difficult to find). I don't think we need a backup RB, as Atkinson can cover more than adequately there. 

Has Atkinson signed for the reminder of the season yet? 

38 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Yes I was impressed by him too! 

Askey has always been a fan of Guthrie at Stevenage. I can’t imagine he would be on much. It would be interesting to see if we made a bid if they went down.

That said, for all I know he could be on good money and I wouldn’t want us to break the bank.

For me a good January would be getting Gibbo, Wozza and Smudge tied down.

A great one would then add Taylor (at the right price)

And I do think a recognised left back would be useful!

He tore us a new one last season. One game doesn't make a player, by any means, but if he's OOC at the end of the season, and would be interested in joining us, I'd certainly try to make it happen, within reason. 

One player who has impressed me the most playing for the opposition this season is About Eisa at Scunthorpe. I would love to see us make bid for him as I think he is the right age (23) and looked to me to be much better than Amoo and Browne.

16 minutes ago, rayzer said:

One player who has impressed me the most playing for the opposition this season is About Eisa at Scunthorpe. I would love to see us make bid for him as I think he is the right age (23) and looked to me to be much better than Amoo and Browne.

Who was that tiny black winger who played for Grimsby against us a season or so back. He looked absolute quality and I expected him to be in the Championship by the end of January that season! Be interested to see where he's ended up, if he's not still at Grimsby, but for the life of me I can't remember his name!

6 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Who was that tiny black winger who played for Grimsby against us a season or so back. He looked absolute quality and I expected him to be in the Championship by the end of January that season! Be interested to see where he's ended up, if he's not still at Grimsby, but for the life of me I can't remember his name!

Siriki Dembélé 

Tore us to bits. Now plays for Peterborough. 

6 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Siriki Dembélé 

Tore us to bits. Now plays for Peterborough. 

Cheers for that! He seems to be getting playing time for Peterborough, albeit from the bench, which is a pity, as would love to see him in a Vale shirt, if only on loan!

34 minutes ago, rayzer said:

Brother of the ex Cheltenham striker. 

I have to agree and even though it's only based on one game he is one of the most dangerous and impressive players I've seen this season. They battered us 2-1 that day . I'd imagine Scunny could pay him more than we can dream of . 

I’m hoping for another midfielder anyway even if we keep Taylor or not, if Taylor/Burgess get injured then for me we don’t have that attacking energy threat, think Jake was off it yesterday however with a hectic schedule and just coming back from a slight injury I wasn’t greatly shocked. 

Would like to give Scott Burgess a massive shoutout as well, think he’s been one of our unsung heroes, when you’ve got Taylor playing as well as he is then he will steal the limelight, thought Burgess was immense yesterday! 

Archived