onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

January transfer window

Walka003

1 hour ago, osprey said:

Think we’ll be lucky to hold onto Taylor

I agree, that’s the problem when a loan player plays well for a L2 team. He’s proving good for us but is Jake capable of playing in L1 or getting regular games.? Phil is in a very difficult position, I’d like to think he’ll advise Jake to finish the season with us, but Forest will be pushing for him to play higher, so they can make a decision regarding his future at their club. If we do keep him brilliant, if not I’d like to thank him for what he has brought to the team this season and has made us believe in ourselves again

Advert

19 hours ago, JRC said:

That would give us Worrall, Montano, Browne, Amoo plus 2 more wingers. Are we also going to sign a better 4th striker than Archer?

If Kennedy goes we need a 4th centrehalf. Leftback would be useful. Taylor or a replacement and that's about it. There's a lot of player power in January and you end up paying over the odds.

Trickett-Smith needs to stay because he's got himself into the squad and they need to decide if he can cut it at some point. Archer likewise. Neither is young and both have played a fair amount of non league football, so little to gain from being out on loan, where we'll end up cutting a large part of the wage anyway. If the decision is they aren't good enough then try to move them on.

I would let Kennedy go and pencil in Crookes as CH cover.

Bring in a LB to compete with Monty. This would then leave us with 3 wingers, so get a winger in. 

Let Lloyd / Evans / Tricket-Smith leave on loan. Then bring in a RB to compete with Gibbo and a  midfielder with a bit of quality. 

If we have the opportunity to bring in a Striker (possibly on loan in the Craig Davies mould from seasons ago) that is better than we have, then I’d do that as well, and let one of them go out on loan. 

So potentially 4/5 players, which might be too many given it’s January.

Tbh the above is more a look towards the summer. I’d be happy with 2 incoming players to improve the first team. 

17 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Phil Sproson will have to show his true colours. If he is an agent first and foremost I expect Taylor will go to the club which makes him the most money. If he cares about the Vale and Taylor he will persuade him to stay at Vale. 

Don't think we will be seeing Taylor in the second half of the season.  Bound to go to a higher div club and make more money for Sproson.  Then Taylor will sit on the bench a lot instead of getting game time no doubt.

19 hours ago, JRC said:

If Kennedy goes we need a 4th centrehalf.

I would hope it's a one in, one out policy.  I think John Askey has already said as much. So either Kennedy comes back and fights for a place or he stays on loan/is sold permanently and someone else comes in.

What left-backs are potential / realistic signings. We're all saying "left-back" but anyone got any actual names of players who would come and do a job?

What’s Chris sulley doing these days ?

Tbh Rob I think Askey will have his work cut out getting quality through the door in January as prices will be a lot higher than in the summer

Who was the last proper left back we had was it Dickinson ??????

22 minutes ago, vale victory said:

What’s Chris sulley doing these days ?

Tbh Rob I think Askey will have his work cut out getting quality through the door in January as prices will be a lot higher than in the summer

Who was the last proper left back we had was it Dickinson ??????

I think the good thing is that unlike Brown and Aspin (who both clogged up their teams with a million loanees by mid-August) we have space to get a left-back on loan. I wonder if that is the route that Askey will take?

For me, it's early days and I've only seen about 30 minutes of him playing, but I really like the look of young Ryan Campbell-Gordon as an attacking left-back but he's maybe a season or so away from the first-team so I wouldn't be too unhappy with a temporary signing there. 

Getting a loan in is easier for Vale as well I would imagine. There's isn't the commitment of agreeing a long-term deal (player having to move house etc), the risk in potentially getting the wrong player and then being stuck with them etc. Plus I presume some higher placed clubs will be keen to give players first-team football if they are not in the first-team. 

On 10/12/2019 at 15:36, robf said:

What left-backs are potential / realistic signings. We're all saying "left-back" but anyone got any actual names of players who would come and do a job?

Accadamies have been hoovering up left footed players and good ones are few and far between at our level. Watching leftbacks at other teams we've played most are flawed to some degree. The ideal player can start an attack, distribute the ball, beat a player, have pace, whip crosses in, excellent tackler and be good in the air. If you can tick all those boxes .... you won't be playing in league 2.

6 hours ago, JRC said:

Accadamies have been hoovering up left footed players and good ones are few and far between at our level. Watching leftbacks at other teams we've played most are flawed to some degree. The ideal player can start an attack, distribute the ball, beat a player, have pace, whip crosses in, excellent tackler and be good in the air. If you can tick all those boxes .... you won't be playing in league 2.

Monty ticks most of those boxes.

Not all the time of course, but worth persevering with and developing consistency?

He's already on the payroll so no extra cost.

6 hours ago, JRC said:

I think we may have to go down the loan route anyhow and if that's the case we'd be looking at academy players wouldn't we?

I agree that it is a long-term issue though - the whole concept of top-level teams having the cash to simply hoover up all available young talent is clearly a real worry on many levels.

7 hours ago, SFBT said:

Monty ticks most of those boxes.

Not all the time of course, but worth persevering with and developing consistency?

He's already on the payroll so no extra cost.

There are worse leftbacks in this league. Probably very few better and available in the window.

7 hours ago, robf said:

I think we may have to go down the loan route anyhow and if that's the case we'd be looking at academy players wouldn't we?

I agree that it is a long-term issue though - the whole concept of top-level teams having the cash to simply hoover up all available young talent is clearly a real worry on many levels.

The issue with Accadamy players in division 2 is a lot fall flat on their faces. The ones who've done well somewhere go to a higher league. Many of the ones who look good in the under 23s struggle when asked to step up to men's football.

Archived