onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

The profile of PVFC

Playa Amodores

It’s now 7 months since we got K&C or C&K however you want to put it as new owners. I’m sure you’ll all agree that with one or two teething problems, (Grimsby and Macclesfield), the season so far is beyond my expectations.

I don’t want to become inebriated by how things are going as we’re currently in a purple patch, with finances, league position and the cup competitions. I’m older enough to know that when you think everything is brilliant and will only get better, the game has an ability to bring you back down to earth.

I personally felt that during the summer players were reluctant to come to us, which is probably evidenced by the fact that the first team is virtually the same as last year. We didn’t have an abundance of financial support and gambling companies didn’t have us down as a team that would be anywhere near the play offs. In all fairness neither did I and was hoping to finish a comfortable 14th. I think we’re 10 pts away from relegation safety, which is fantastic, as we haven’t even played our first league game in December.

So to sum up, I think our profile has gone through the roof and if we need to we will be able attract players in the transfer window. This will mean that JA will have a completely different transfer window, with agents harassing him to take their clients.

I see Chelsea have had their transfer embargo halved so can sign players in Jan 20. I suppose the answer to my question will be answered if they make bids for Worrall or Brown.

Advert

I wouldn't change too much to be honest in January, beyond keeping hold of Taylor. Bear in mind we have Oyeleke to come back in, who many would say is our best player. People talk about the need for another left back, but we haven't had a consistently good one since Tankard. Montano/Crookes are serviceable there until the summer in my view. 

1 minute ago, cheshirevaliant said:

I wouldn't change too much to be honest in January, beyond keeping hold of Taylor. Bear in mind we have Oyeleke to come back in, who many would say is our best player. People talk about the need for another left back, but we haven't had a consistently good one since Tankard. Montano/Crookes are serviceable there until the summer in my view. 

Manny could be key but only if his op has solved his problem. I wouldn't want him to come back but only for a couple of games and then break down again.

It's not just the profile of the club that's changed since C&K took over, the intagables have also improved, the feel of the club is a distinct improvement on previous owners, there is entertainment and hope, the willingness to move sideways off the field and forward on it.

The club has regained it's soul.

Long may it continue.

I thought I'd put this here as it wasn't worth starting a new thread for and I think it fits.

My great niece lives on the Derbyshire/Nottinghamshire boundary. Now her dad is a Vale fan - he got the bug from me - and even though they live a distance away he'd taken her to VP a few times and she'd liked it. Anyway, she was invited to a thing at her school where Rammy - the Derby County mascot - visited and the kids could have their pictures taken with him. When it came to our lass's turn she just said 'sorry I'm a Vale fan' and walked off.

I couldn't be prouder. If Carol and Kevin want to start a revolution there's at least one of the latest generation ready to join.

7 hours ago, cheshirevaliant said:

I think i'd be in the market for a left-back, although generally Montano has done well there. Him taking the left-back spot and us having an upturn in form are not a surprise. I understand he is out of position sometimes and he makes the odd mistake, but he still looks better than most full-backs at this level.

Striker is also the other position I'd be targeting. We're decent there, but you can always get better. We need regular goals and there must be someone out there who must feel they would be a good fit here.

Taylor staying is also a must. I get the feeling he'd like to, if he can sort it out with Forest. I'm sure he'd go to a L1 team, wait a few weeks for a place and then work his way in. But perhaps he'd be better staying here where he's already guaranteed a first team spot at a team doing well.

I never expected us to make this much progress, so quickly. When a football club is being so severely misrun it doesn't take much to make things appear on the up, but they have genuinely made a huge amount of progress in 6 months. 

V2001 did this club a lot of damage, over a significant period of time.

Smurthwaite came staggering in and really messed things up to an incredible degree. Reminder, the players nutritional plan was, genuinely, left over pies.

The depths that pathetic little worm sank to are nothing short of pitiful. It'll all come out one day. 

So the point is C&K bought a business that had spent the last 19 odd years being institutionally damaged from within. That had been systemically gutted since 2013. Revenue hived off. Departments eviscerated. No Physio staff last season as I recall. Players on disgusting left over cheap pies. Player recruitment bypassing the manager and coming straight down from the owner who admitted to Micky Adams when trying to give him a new contract on substantially reduced terms (<ovf censored> puddled), "Help me, I don't know how to run a football club."

First season in, barely 18 weeks into it, and we're totting up cup run money for play off ambitions in the January transfer window, businesses and investors have flocked back to VP. Boxes sold out, partnerships reestablished, relationships repaired. Kevin went out of his way to contact and pay off a trade debt to a club creditor he had no requirement to, it was owed by the oldco, by Scumthwaite. Still paid it. Local stakeholders and businesses back onside. Autonet and Donno in partnership, money and extras coming in that never would have under Scumthwaite because of his toxicity. Great relationship with the Police and local media who the previous tyrannical bully burnt bridges with (Matthew Ellis) and autocratically banned from VP (Mike Baggaley.) RW is doing a gig at VP in June. Our reputation in football has been lifted out of the gutter. Micky Adams said football is a village. Everyone knows everyone. Scumthwaite was the village idiot. People wouldn't deal with him. Even Ridsdale wouldn't. The Chief football writer at The Times, Henry Winter, openly mugs him off as the buffoon he is. Players will come in knowing they'll be looked after. 2 hours after Jake Taylor had his rims nicked when he parked his car in Manchester, Carol had personally gotten him back on the road in a club supplied courtesy car. Carol clearly has a great relationship with JA and the squad, evident on social media every week. Imagine Normong walking into the dressing room after a win. Carol gets enthusiastically hugged. They'd laugh him out. This positive atmosphere at the club doesn't go unnoticed to those in the game.

The secret to how they've done so much so quickly is the fact that Carol is genuinely just dead sound. Her charity stuff has been ongoing for years. They didn't pay a tad over £4m just for Vale. That ransom fee was essentially an investment in Burslem too. Since the decline of the manufacturing industry Burslem has slowly died, worse off than the other 5 towns off the top of my head, there's some stats somewhere on PVO. High street dying, shops closing. Local employment, financial, health, education, etc stats are, compared to the national average, horrendous. The local area has suffered and all the while the football club has been more or less continually waterboarded by arseholes like Bratt and Scumthwaite for the last two decades. No more. The resurgence of Vale over the next 5-10 years as the damage is undone will statistically see an upturn in prosperity in Burslem and Tunstall. It's all linked. I'm not saying I'm expecting us comfortably back and holding our own in the Championship within the next 10 years, I'm saying the club and Burslem will get healthier and healthier year on year as the Normong cancer cells are eradicated, the trade picks up again and the ramifications will gradually be felt in the local area over time.

I've met them. I know what they're about, how genuine they are. I'm confident they'll be the best owners we've ever had. No coincidence that a significant reason why is they are the complete opposite of Norman Smurthwaite in every way.

37% of kids in Burslem are categorised as family income below the breadline, second in SoT to only Bentilee at 44%. Imagine that scrooge walrus faced bástard using the kitchens at Vale to provide free meals for those kids in the school holidays like Carol does. He'd laugh at the thought. 

Archived