TylerB

Jake Taylor

It's a tricky one but for me I would still take him on loan till the end of the season. Firstly, his goals in midfield may just sneak us into the play-off. Secondly it's only the "offer" of a contract from Forest so far. A lot can happen between now and the end of the season. The manager/owner at Forest could change for all we know and their priorities could change etc etc... 

• Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, robf said:

It's a tricky one but for me I would still take him on loan till the end of the season. Firstly, his goals in midfield may just sneak us into the play-off. Secondly it's only the "offer" of a contract from Forest so far. A lot can happen between now and the end of the season. The manager/owner at Forest could change for all we know and their priorities could change etc etc... 

Totally agree - if we get Jake till the end of the season its a bonus and wait and see what Forest do thereafter.

It’s a standard thing that forest do anyway, they have an option of another year on their u23s, so it kind of keeps them hanging on a thread if the club want to exercise that option.  Taylor and Crookes before him did the right thing and went out on loan, got games and experience and now Taylor knows he has the chance of a permanent offer here. 

All fair enough.

Forest have obviously put a silly price tag and the club, now being run sensibly, isn't going to pay it.

They'll take up his option and shop him around in the summer, or see if he's progressed enough to challenge for their first team.

Hopefully we get the extension. I wasn't massively keen on spending north of 6 figures on the lad, so this seems to suit all parties. If he goes elsewhere in the summer then we thank him for his services and remember no one was aware of this lad pre-season; there are other good players around. You just need good connections and decent scouts, as well as a manager that can improve players, which, hopefully, we have all 3 of.

Edited by Joe B
  • Like 2

Forest obviously know there’s interest from us and maybe even other clubs so they’ll be playing the game too. Hang on to him and hopefully up the price if he’s not in their future plans or if he is in their plans then give him another year and send him out to a higher level next season to get more experience. 

Edited by PV1973

Extended loan, if it happens, seems the sensible option.  Notts obviously see something in the lad, and, if he can keep playing the way he has during the first half of the season, they may well be correct in their judgement.

Always the likely outcome given his performances for Vale, just hope we can keep him on loan 'til the end of the season. At least we've tried our best and you never know if the current negotiations are truly over. I really rate Jake Taylor.

The Irish lad Sykes scored a good goal for Oxford last week in the FA Cup, another player we missed out on.

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

All fair enough.

Forest have obviously put a silly price tag and the club, now being run sensibly, isn't going to pay it.

The club, when not being run sensibly never paid anything either! 😂

• Like 1

I would keep Jake on loan until the end of the season. This will give us breathing space to see if Manny is fit enough to continue to play at this level. If not there will be greater choice of players to choose from in the close season. Notts Forest may change their minds then. We should not be offering silly money for the lad. 

Edited by Class personified
  • Like 2

44 minutes ago, Class personified said:

I would keep Jake on loan until the end of the season. This will give us breathing space to see if Manny is fit enough to continue to play at this level. If not there will be greater choice of players to choose from in the close season. Notts Forest may change their minds then. We should not be offering silly money for the lad. 

Good, balanced approach which keeps our options open.

Be great to get Jake but agree wouldn't want to go overboard on cost, he isn't our player so the loan scenario shouldn't change as we need him and if he stays until end of season it ticks all boxes... We are at the start of a revival so lots of building blocks to be put in whilst dealing with the constant change of the squad (either by choice or not) so Jakes signing wont make or break us but would be good to be put to bed so the powers can then focus on other needy areas...

Don't think we are strong enough for promotion which I feel might come to soon for this squad should it happen , so keep the money dry and do our best this season whilst starting to plan for next (how long is it since a manager of ours  could plan this far ahead) then try to kick on .

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Extended loan, if it happens, seems the sensible option.  Notts obviously see something in the lad, and, if he can keep playing the way he has during the first half of the season, they may well be correct in their judgement.

Notts Forest can smell the Man City money and hope we are silly enough to pay silly money for a player with 17 league games under his belt.

8 hours ago, Erniemossrules said:

Notts Forest can smell the Man City money and hope we are silly enough to pay silly money for a player with 17 league games under his belt.

17 league games and the guy was our joint top scorer until today.  All his goals coming from midfield open play if I remember correctly,  Not just the Man City money methinks.