TylerB

Jake Taylor

1 hour ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

What’s the point of getting a massive cup payday if we aren’t going to take advantage of it. Lincoln pretty much rebuilt the club on theirs.

Imo blowing half of the cup payday on a lad with 16 professional appearances is not the most prudent move.

I'm be delighted to have Taylor but if a bidding war emerges we have other areas to focus on. Anything above 100k and a sell on, in my view, would be excessive.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Imo blowing half of the cup payday on a lad with 16 professional appearances is not the most prudent move.

I'm be delighted to have Taylor but if a bidding war emerges we have other areas to focus on. Anything above 100k and a sell on, in my view, would be excessive.

Agree with all of that, personally I would be surprised if we paid much more than 50k. As you say, I wouldn’t want us to blow a big chunk of the cup money.

• Like 1

IMHO Jake Taylor is the best young player with the most potential I've seen down the Vale in a long, long time. Rudgie, JA and the Shanahans will know what the club can sensibly pay, if it gets him fantastic if not Vale did their best.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Joe B said:

It seems to me NFFC et al have eyes on our F.A. Cup windfall.

Jake may be all that is written about him but, as you say JB, chucking big money on a 16 game CV 'is not prudent'.

How good is he?

Here we are, mid winter, with 8 games scheduled 29/12/2019 - 25/01/2020:

• H Swindon
  • H Macc. Town
  • A Man. City
  • A Salford
  • A Stevenage
  • A Morcambe
  • H Leyton Orient
  • A Swindon

Will Jake be available for all 8 fixtures? If so, will he come through injury free? Plus any other 'speculative' questions.

I have no idea what the going rate is for the Jake Taylor's of football, but I am reasonably assured Carol and Co. will do what's best for all things Port Vale.

5 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

IMHO Jake Taylor is the best young player with the most potential I've seen down the Vale in a long, long time. Rudgie, JA and the Shanahans will know what the club can sensibly pay, if it gets him fantastic if not Vale did their best.

I think he's a good player but wouldn't go that far. Alex Jones had a superb loan spell with us, as did Billy Knott, and neither have hit any great heights since (I know Knott has had a few issues which explain this).

For example, I saw far more potential in Sam Morsy, Jordan Hugill, Remie Streete, and Jak Alnwick.

Taylor is the same age as James Gibbons. I think he's a very tidy, energetic midfielder who has done well to get a few goals, but I'm wary of hyperbole. He's out of contract in 6 months so anything approaching 6 figures and a sell on is excessive, in my view.

Would still be great to have him.

Thankfully we have Askey as manager who understands the value of money and that the club needs to be sustainable. 

There is no way I can see JA, Carol and Kevin paying over the odds... which in my mind is £50k plus sell on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Joe B said:

I think he's a good player but wouldn't go that far. Alex Jones had a superb loan spell with us, as did Billy Knott, and neither have hit any great heights since (I know Knott has had a few issues which explain this).

For example, I saw far more potential in Sam Morsy, Jordan Hugill, Remie Streete, and Jak Alnwick.

Taylor is the same age as James Gibbons. I think he's a very tidy, energetic midfielder who has done well to get a few goals, but I'm wary of hyperbole. He's out of contract in 6 months so anything approaching 6 figures and a sell on is excessive, in my view.

Would still be great to have him.

All a matter of opinion Joe, for me it's a toss up between Taylor and Alex Jones but Alex sadly hasn't done much since he left the Vale for various reasons. The other 4 were all very good players for the Vale.

IC is spot on.

Taylor is still raw and still inexperienced. A small fee and a sell on clause would suit all parties and more importantly be good for Taylor's career. Fingers crossed.

• Like 1

The trick is to secure these players while no one has ever heard of them, rather than putting them in the shop window while being on loan.

Imagine if we could find another crop of under 21 players like McPhee, Goodlad, Brooker, Pilkington, Cummins, MBW etc.

Our scouting has been atrocious since that era.

He’s done really well in some games and scored some important goals, yet equally he’s disappeared in some games too, which given his age and experience is going to be understandable as he will be up and down in his consistency. Obviously theres a lot of potential in him, but we can’t break the bank for him, but we could be able to persuade Forest to sell him with a sell on clause built in for them in the future.  But my personal opinion is that his agent will be working to get him a move to a higher league and we will be the fallback option if that doesn’t work out. Just like what happened with Crookes. He holds all the cards at the moment.

Edited by PV1973

13 hours ago, valeparklife said:

The trick is to secure these players while no one has ever heard of them, rather than putting them in the shop window while being on loan.

Imagine if we could find another crop of under 21 players like McPhee, Goodlad, Brooker, Pilkington, Cummins, MBW etc.

Our scouting has been atrocious since that era.

I think one of the biggest priorities of our fantastic new owners is to develop the recruitment side of the club, which has been neglected for years.

A proper, professional head scout, with a good network across the country and the UK at large; engagement with data, which all successful clubs now utilise to find hidden gems (listened to a great podcast with Colchester's coach over the summer which he detailed how important stastical analysis is in finding new players); strong links with good academies in the Midland/North West to hoover up the released players.

Our club has a lot going for it at the present, but I'd love to see us be forward-thinking in recruitment; last time we had a 'proper scout', in George Foster, we signed Hugill, which made the club/Norman £1.9m, and Andoh, who would have gone for big money had he not be so unfortunate with injuries.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Joe B said:

I think one of the biggest priorities of our fantastic new owners is to develop the recruitment side of the club, which has been neglected for years.

A proper, professional head scout, with a good network across the country and the UK at large; engagement with data, which all successful clubs now utilise to find hidden gems (listened to a great podcast with Colchester's coach over the summer which he detailed how important stastical analysis is in finding new players); strong links with good academies in the Midland/North West to hoover up the released players.

Our club has a lot going for it at the present, but I'd love to see us be forward-thinking in recruitment; last time we had a 'proper scout', in George Foster, we signed Hugill, which made the club/Norman £1.9m, and Andoh, who would have gone for big money had he not be so unfortunate with injuries.

And not forgetting our own academy too. 

Edited by PV1973

5 minutes ago, bobvale said:

i would put getting young fans above young players. when i look across vale park i see old gray heads and very few youngsters.

Sorry about my hair i will put my vale woolie hat over my ears on for you today i don't want to upset fellow vale fans.

s

i am sorry my friend. i am an older person, but i do think we need more young fans at vale park as i fear that many were getting tempted to go to see stoke (not any more though"!)

3 hours ago, Joe B said:

Agree entirely. I wonder if we have any scouts at the club presently?

Out of interest, do you have the link to the podcast? (I like stuff like that!)