onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Jake Taylor

TylerB

11 minutes ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

What’s the point of getting a massive cup payday if we aren’t going to take advantage of it. Lincoln pretty much rebuilt the club on theirs.

That massive cup pay day will have several calls on it, not all on the playing budget. 

Advert

£50,000 would be a 'massive' fee for many League 2 clubs (prob including us) and would be the absolute max i think we should offer/pay for an inexperienced, young lad who Forest don't want to keep. Perhaps they have another youngster in their u-21 team that they would like us to improve for them? If not, then 'other Championship teams are available' as they say - let's have a look around.

If the price gets silly I'm happy to let someone else fork out 6 figures for him. Hes' out of contract in 6 months ffs

He's a good player and has an eye for a goal but once we're going north of 100k plus a sell on its getting into the ludicrous realm on what may have been a run of good form

1 hour ago, fuzzyvalefan said:

What’s the point of getting a massive cup payday if we aren’t going to take advantage of it. Lincoln pretty much rebuilt the club on theirs.

Imo blowing half of the cup payday on a lad with 16 professional appearances is not the most prudent move.

I'm be delighted to have Taylor but if a bidding war emerges we have other areas to focus on. Anything above 100k and a sell on, in my view, would be excessive.

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

Imo blowing half of the cup payday on a lad with 16 professional appearances is not the most prudent move.

I'm be delighted to have Taylor but if a bidding war emerges we have other areas to focus on. Anything above 100k and a sell on, in my view, would be excessive.

Agree with all of that, personally I would be surprised if we paid much more than 50k. As you say, I wouldn’t want us to blow a big chunk of the cup money.

7 hours ago, Joe B said:

It seems to me NFFC et al have eyes on our F.A. Cup windfall.

Jake may be all that is written about him but, as you say JB, chucking big money on a 16 game CV 'is not prudent'.

How good is he?

Here we are, mid winter, with 8 games scheduled 29/12/2019 - 25/01/2020:

• H Swindon
  • H Macc. Town
  • A Man. City
  • A Salford
  • A Stevenage
  • A Morcambe
  • H Leyton Orient
  • A Swindon

Will Jake be available for all 8 fixtures? If so, will he come through injury free? Plus any other 'speculative' questions.

I have no idea what the going rate is for the Jake Taylor's of football, but I am reasonably assured Carol and Co. will do what's best for all things Port Vale.

5 hours ago, Paul6754 said:

IMHO Jake Taylor is the best young player with the most potential I've seen down the Vale in a long, long time. Rudgie, JA and the Shanahans will know what the club can sensibly pay, if it gets him fantastic if not Vale did their best.

I think he's a good player but wouldn't go that far. Alex Jones had a superb loan spell with us, as did Billy Knott, and neither have hit any great heights since (I know Knott has had a few issues which explain this).

For example, I saw far more potential in Sam Morsy, Jordan Hugill, Remie Streete, and Jak Alnwick.

Taylor is the same age as James Gibbons. I think he's a very tidy, energetic midfielder who has done well to get a few goals, but I'm wary of hyperbole. He's out of contract in 6 months so anything approaching 6 figures and a sell on is excessive, in my view.

Would still be great to have him.

7 hours ago, Joe B said:

I think he's a good player but wouldn't go that far. Alex Jones had a superb loan spell with us, as did Billy Knott, and neither have hit any great heights since (I know Knott has had a few issues which explain this).

For example, I saw far more potential in Sam Morsy, Jordan Hugill, Remie Streete, and Jak Alnwick.

Taylor is the same age as James Gibbons. I think he's a very tidy, energetic midfielder who has done well to get a few goals, but I'm wary of hyperbole. He's out of contract in 6 months so anything approaching 6 figures and a sell on is excessive, in my view.

Would still be great to have him.

All a matter of opinion Joe, for me it's a toss up between Taylor and Alex Jones but Alex sadly hasn't done much since he left the Vale for various reasons. The other 4 were all very good players for the Vale.

The trick is to secure these players while no one has ever heard of them, rather than putting them in the shop window while being on loan.

Imagine if we could find another crop of under 21 players like McPhee, Goodlad, Brooker, Pilkington, Cummins, MBW etc.

Our scouting has been atrocious since that era.

Archived