onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Walsall

Fosse69

Maintain momentum, build confidence, and let`s see where we can go. The Saddlers may be struggling at present but they are one of our bogie teams, they came back from 0-2 down to win 3-2 last night against Chelsea U21 so a bit of a boost. Whether to start Pope or not is bound to be an option dependent upon Walsall`s style, Worrall of course will be missed. Onwards and upwards 3-0 would be good, but quite happy with 1-0.

Advert

Just now, Fosse69 said:

Maintain momentum, build confidence, and let`s see where we can go. The Saddlers may be struggling at present but they are one of our bogie teams, they came back from 0-2 down to win 3-2 last night against Chelsea U21 so a bit of a boost. Whether to start Pope or not is bound to be an option dependent upon Walsall`s style, Worrall of course will be missed. Onwards and upwards 3-0 would be good, but quite happy with 1-0.

Walsall used to be a bogey team but our recent record (apart from the Page season) is actually pretty good! Even away we've won 4 times in the last 5 visits I believe! (after not winning for 50 odd years)

If we have any aspirations of promotion then based on form we need to be winning this but imagine they will be a side that will sit in and make it difficult so the first goal will be crucial. Losing Worrall is a blow but Browne seems to be coming good.

Go with Pope who should be buzzing!

11 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

The big question is going to be who plays in Joyce’s position? Personally I think it’ll be Conlon. 

So for me same team as started at Cheltenham except Burgess in for Joyce. 

Conlon for Joyce I expect. Assume Burgess would come in or maybe Atkinson in the Joyce position?

Walsall used to be our bogey team, i know the last game was that 5-0 surrender when they missed out to Burton on the last day but in general the bogey is laid to rest.

I'm certainly hopeful of a good win after dashing back from Llandudno where i'm watching Shed Seven on Friday night . Hopefully the drive will be worth it.

Told my Mrs we better get back early because of the cats , rather than walk around Llandudno on Saturday !! ( it worked anyway ) 

3 hours ago, Walka003 said:
3 hours ago, PV1973 said:
The big question is going to be who plays in Joyce’s position? Personally I think it’ll be Conlon. 

Might be Evans, I think that's his natural position.

After Tuesday Evans showed he is poor defending so Conlon and Burgess for me.

Even Brisley if he is fit.

Time to be adventurous and start with Pope and Cullen up front to give their defenders something to think about and not just stop us scoring by putting two players on Pope.

Browne is a cert for left wing and has taken his chance with Worrall being suspended.

8 hours ago, Walka003 said:
9 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Don’t want to jump on the bandwagon of slagging players off, but I don’t think Evans is good enough for our aspirations.

It’s an interesting situation we find ourselves in with the extra revenue. It seems like Askey thinks we can improve, so it’s a balancing act of how many players he brings in. The observation from last night is that we don’t have adequate fullback cover. I don’t think Atkinson is like for like for Gibo with how we play, and Evans looked very uncomfortable at LB. 

So I think there is scope to bring in a first choice LB and a back up RB.

Also, if there is money available and a top Championship striker becomes available on loan, that could change our season for the better, I think Askey will take it. Would maybe mean loaning out Archer/Cullen, but we all know a striker playIng below their natural level for 6 months could define our promotion push. 

Will be very interesting to see how Askey plays his cards. Lots to look forward to 😊

9 hours ago, Walka003 said:
9 hours ago, PV1973 said:

It's also Atkinson's natural position and he's been a quality player at this level.

I'm expecting him to play as he seems to be the natural replacement.

Shows how far we have come in such a short space of time when we can be without Oyeleke and Worrall and still expect to win games of football. No games are a walk in the park at this level and Walsall won't lie down with their collective asses up in the air waiting to be spanked. But I'm expecting the 3 points. 

Brown

Gibbons Legge Smith Monty

Conlon Atkinson Taylor

Amoo Pope Browne

It's pleasing that despite us missing what have been our best and second best players this year, we can still put out a good side, and be leaving out very competent players like Burgess, Cullen, and Evans (who I actually think is quite decent, and has done 'jobs' for us at full back despite clearly being a midfielder. Definitely a reasonable squad player).

A game in which we've typically slipped up in today; a struggling side at home. Form of the wingers will dictate proceedings. If they're up for it, our defence and midfield are steady enough for us to win.

Will go for a very decent 2-0 victory today, leaving us level with the playoffs as we go into the Christmas period.

If we then get 4 points from Crawley and Cheltenham, the atmosphere at the club over Christmas leading up to the City game is going to be monumental.

Archived