onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Walsall

Fosse69

I think you’ve missed the point there.
Trust me, I agree with your point. We are two/three missing players plus a real left back away from days like today and we need to rectify it in January. But on our day when ou first 11s out we are alot more than OK.

Advert

12 hours ago, Phil1965 said:

I wouldn’t go overboard with the criticism, this is League 2, anyone can beat anyone else. Crewe can be brilliant one week, dire the next. We don’t follow lower division teams for the glory, we follow them because it is in the blood!

Spot on enjoy the wins /draws, the loses hurt us all, owners/player's and us fans, at least we go to games with hope in our hearts, together we will succeed 

13 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

We didn’t play great today by any stretch of the imagination, we’ve played worse this season and got a draw. I wasn’t impressed with Walsall, they had a plan and stuck to it. If you took  the goal out of the game what did either GK have to do. Therefore I think a 0-0 would have been a fair result. I don’t normally mention the officials as they’re so poor, but today’s were the worst I’ve seen. Walsall players must live the turf at VP judging by the number of times they threw themselves onto the ground. TP was wrestled to the ground on a number of occasions and either got no decision or got penalised.
I think everyone knew we wouldn’t go all the way through the season without losing at home, so that weight has now been lifted. It’s only one game, so let’s lift ourselves and get ready for the next game.

Yes agree, it our shots on target needs improvement we seem to run out of ideas on how to brake down the defensive wall as games progress and any confidence seems to ebb away, as the saying goes, we go again next week, S. Vale away 

That was a tough defeat to take yesterday, I think because of how we struggled to get anything going and because of the performance of the opposition. I don’t know whether it was down to how they played tactically but we really struggled to get it out wide for crosses. Amoo was arguably the most successful of the 2 wingers in this, either winning a corner or a throw or pulling it back for Gibbo. On the left I don’t think Monty started a get a ball in to the box until the second half. Also I noticed it at Scunthorpe and also cheltenham in the first half, but when their full backs Or centre halves had the ball and hit a long diagonal or a channel ball they had wingers willing to chase and challenge and put pressure on our defence. Ours don’t. Yesterday was case in point Monty hardly showed for evans and I know Evans is out of position but he just kept coming inside on his left foot. On the other side we usually have Joyce linking it up with Gibbo and Amoo, we had none of that and it was frustrating when our only options for a full back is to either go backwards or hit a long diagonal ball hoping something drops. That kind of ball rarely comes off and if the forward doesn’t win it or it’s a bit long or a bit short we lose it and the crowd get frustrated. So I looked at that as a lack of options and movement again from our forward and midfielders and when that happens our only option seems to be lump it. Contrast that with the 2 previous away games where their forwards seemed more able to pressure with when they played like that. 

Poor goal to give away, we get the ball up to Popey who gives it away really cheaply, (possibly fouled), they’ve got a man over on the left who doesn’t even have to beat his full back to whip a cross in and the lads totally unmarked at the back post. Disappointing. From then we huffed and puffed without really doing much of note. I thought some players looked like they wanted to be there and at least tried to put a shift in, some didnt, but that spark we needed just wasn’t evident yesterday. It just shows that IMO a you can’t have just half the team trying, everyone has to turn up. I can forgive any defeat if players look like they’re trying. But in addition maybe scratch beneath the surface and our replacements aren’t as good as who was missing yesterday?

I said at half time that Walsall were there for the taking, I still believe we should have got something, they didn’t look that good but were organised and spoilt the game at every opportunity. Which is so frustrating because referees fall for it every time, it shouldn’t be a free kick every time a player falls over. It’s a contact sport and it seemed yesterday that everything went for them rather than us. But some of their antics were just disgraceful and I don’t understand why refs fall for it. I also wasn’t convinced by the red card, it looked a clash of heads to me but once that happened we were effectively done.

Personally I think the ref has an awful lot to do with the over all effect on the game. Yesterday the bloke was utter garbage. He fell for the cheating of Walsall's tactic of breaking up the play by constantly 'playing dead' by pretending that they had a head injury which instantly brought the game to a full stop but miraculously they carried on unscathed after their scam had worked. Obviously the game should stop for a head injury but to stop the scamming sidelining the 'injured party' for 5 minutes would stamp out this unacceptable type of cheating and to allow a genuine injury to be assessed.

I was also fed up with the way that he re-started the game by allowing the opposition to take what amounted to a free kick.

I am also heartily sick of the way that pushing and pulling Tom Pope seems to be totally ignored 99% of the time by the vast majority of referees. Don't get me wrong Tom is no angel but a foul is a foul and if the ref produced a card for serial fouling would result in a better all round game.

Yes we were tripe yesterday but the ref was a major factor in the game's deterioration into the ugly affair yesterday.

We played Swindon a few years ago, they beat us 0-1 I think it was at Vale park, and it was one of the most disgusting "performances" I've seen. They cheated all game, dived, feigned injury, conned the ref over and over. I walked away from that game thinking that if this is the way football is going, I am not sure I will be following it for much longer.

I had a similar feeling yesterday because of Walsall.

That being said, we were crap and I don't think the cheating or lack of a competent referee influenced the result. They took their one chance and we didn't.

13 hours ago, Class personified said:

Awful game, awful cynical opposition, awful referee. This game demonstrated how good Joyce is, that Amoo needs to be dropped for his own sake, Worrall’s energy was missed and that Evans is not the answer. 

I’ve calmed down now. Try not to post after the match in the heat of the moment. Fully agree, I’ve been critical of Joyce and still think he is to slow at times. But boy did we miss him yesterday, clear for everyone to see. Poor showing from vale yesterday but typical vale after such a positive week to kick us in the c@ck!

Reality check again for those getting carried away. We are ticking ove nicely but  are a few players short. 

****housing is part and parcel of the professional game. We should probably do more of it ourselves. None of us have to like it but the genie isn’t going back into the bottle any time soon.

Carlisle didn’t do much of it in the last home game (I wonder how much of it was down to them having a caretaker manager) and those may have been the margins that cost them the win in the end. 

Thought we were desperately poor yesterday. The Walsall defence had it's easiest game of the season. Only Smith and Legge to a point were on it. The squad is thin and lacks quality. Service to Pope was again non existent and crossing quality was dire.

Monty and Amoo were both way off, full backs neither defended or supported.

Midfield was slow and disorganised running around like headless chickens resulting probably in Conlons frustration?

Pope was taken out of the game, leaving no threat at all.

Bad day at the office, we move on but Askey surely knows the limitations he has at hand. We are not a million miles away in this average league, those 3 points would have been massive to us. The Xmas period will define our season.

Let's not be too down but we have and will need to be better than this showing sadly.

UTV

Conlon should have been hooked a good 20 minutes before his red card. He was dire, he didn’t look match fit and only ever wanted to go backwards. If we play one striker then one of the midfield three has to step up and play as a number 10. Conlon presumably got the squad number he wanted in the summer and needs to be more positive.

42 minutes ago, pete vale said:

Thought we were desperately poor yesterday. The Walsall defence had it's easiest game of the season. Only Smith and Legge to a point were on it. The squad is thin and lacks quality. Service to Pope was again non existent and crossing quality was dire.

Monty and Amoo were both way off, full backs neither defended or supported.

Midfield was slow and disorganised running around like headless chickens resulting probably in Conlons frustration?

Pope was taken out of the game, leaving no threat at all.

Bad day at the office, we move on but Askey surely knows the limitations he has at hand. We are not a million miles away in this average league, those 3 points would have been massive to us. The Xmas period will define our season.

Let's not be too down but we have and will need to be better than this showing sadly.

UTV

The squad isn't thin and lacking quality.

That's our 6th defeat all season, still only 3 points from the playoffs, we're in the third round of two cups, and any team losing their two best players would struggle. We've been edged out in a very tight game where they took their chance, and Taylor missed a golden opportunity with a free header from 6 yards in the first half.

We were poor but I'm not going to start casting aspersions on the squad's quality.

Down to earth with a bump. Should bring some fans to realise that we are short of challenging for the play offs at present.

After the hype of Robbie Williams and the Man City tie perhaps a few got carried away thinking we were going to calmly glide up the League?

On any day anyone can beat each other and frankly we did not deserve to win yesterday.

The only bright spark in the day was the continuing excellent form of Smudger at the back. If he were able to pass a ball forward he would be sought after by many other clubs in his current form.

We will settle for a decent place way above the past few seasons and hopefully bank a shed load of cash to assist in bringing the required players here to complete the squad for a concerted push next season. 

Archived