Old fort

Is Manny a shoe-in?

I wonder how far away he is from being considered for the squad. He had his surgery in mid October so nearly 3 months ago now - Spurs seem confident of getting Kane fit in 3 months after hamstring surgery so he must be close to training again.

When he comes back, give him a couple of games (was going to say minutes - but give him the benefit of the doubt) before another injury happens to him.

Even a half fit Manny is better than some of the fringe players we have.

Just hope we see him soon, as he has or has showed when he played, he had the skills to play at a higher level.

Do you remember last season when we were saying we hadn’t won a League game without Manny?  Well this season we haven’t won one with him!!

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

If Taylor doesn't return then if ( big if ) he is fit the midfield is

Joyce Manny Burgess

Give him a licence to get forward more as Taylor does 

If Taylor stays then no he isn't a shoe in he has to earn a place on merit not on reputation

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Obviously it goes without saying that I really hope when Manny does return, he stays fit for the remainder of the season,  not least because of the influence that he imposes on the game, but I can't see how we can carry him for another season, contract or no contract, if there are any further injuries. 

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Andy Proctor said:

Unless he is prepared to sign a pay as you play deal in the summer then I'd release him as hes missing too many games for us. 

This is one of those situations where I wish a player all the very best as a footballer, but when it comes to the harsh reality of lower league club finances it makes sense to tailor contracts subject to a player's availability.

It works both ways,. If a player is as good or better than the rest of the squad - and is 1st on the team sheet week, week out - we know full well agents will shop front for better contract deals across the 'Leagues.

It's a tough call.    

8 hours ago, Aussie Rules said:

This is one of those situations where I wish a player all the very best as a footballer, but when it comes to the harsh reality of lower league club finances it makes sense to tailor contracts subject to a player's availability.

It works both ways,. If a player is as good or better than the rest of the squad - and is 1st on the team sheet week, week out - we know full well agents will shop front for better contract deals across the 'Leagues.

It's a tough call.    

We can only hope that his operation has  been successful, otherwise another Andoh  but without such a long recovery time with his more serious injury. There have been others in the past with promising futures too.

Clearly injury prone. I don’t know his wages? If he is one of the higher earners then I agree we cannot keep some guy to be injured half a season. If it is average or below average wages, then that’s a harder call as he is so good. 

Due back in training this week according to Askey few days back. Now he's actually had the surgery, I'd give him one last chance, but then if he's injured again any time soon, think we're gonna have to drop him. Can't be carrying players whatever their wage if they aren't in contention long term (for any reason, skill, injury etc).

Prior to Worrall getting his place/form back Manny was easily our best midfielder, these days though it'd just be a bonus to have him & I'm not too worried if he doesn't make it back in the side permanently. His position is one of the least concerning in the team right now.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Due back in training this week according to Askey few days back. Now he's actually had the surgery, I'd give him one last chance, but then if he's injured again any time soon, think we're gonna have to drop him. Can't be carrying players whatever their wage if they aren't in contention long term (for any reason, skill, injury etc).

Prior to Worrall getting his place/form back Manny was easily our best midfielder, these days though it'd just be a bonus to have him & I'm not too worried if he doesn't make it back in the side permanently. His position is one of the least concerning in the team right now.

Ironic given how some on here were clamouring for both Adam Yates and Kjell Knopps to be given new deals, despite their serious injuries, to be 'fair' to the players involved. It appears that, at that time, the Club were expected to act as some kind of benevolent fund for crocked players. What's changed?

6 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Ironic given how some on here were clamouring for both Adam Yates and Kjell Knopps to be given new deals, despite their serious injuries, to be 'fair' to the players involved. It appears that, at that time, the Club were expected to act as some kind of benevolent fund for crocked players. What's changed?

I think the difference is with Yates and Knopps, both got serious injuries playing for port vale, but were one off injuries.

Manny is injured, comes back for a couple of games, then is injured again, over and over again.

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

I think the difference is with Yates and Knopps, both got serious injuries playing for port vale, but were one off injuries.

Manny is injured, comes back for a couple of games, then is injured again, over and over again.

We've had many players like that over the years, it's not that unusual. Michael Walsh, Lee Matthews et al spring to mind. It's part and parcel of any football club. The fact is that he is under contract for another season, at least, so the only options for the Club are to either let him see out his contract, or pay it up. Either way, the Club will be expending the same money, unless Manny agrees to a lower settlement (would you do that in these circumstances), or retires. He is a quality player, as we've all seen, so if he can get fit and stay fit he will be a real asset again. The long and short of it is that the Club on paper has nothing to gain from paying up his contract early. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, philmpv said:

We've had many players like that over the years, it's not that unusual. Michael Walsh, Lee Matthews et al spring to mind. It's part and parcel of any football club. The fact is that he is under contract for another season, at least, so the only options for the Club are to either let him see out his contract, or pay it up. Either way, the Club will be expending the same money, unless Manny agrees to a lower settlement (would you do that in these circumstances), or retires. He is a quality player, as we've all seen, so if he can get fit and stay fit he will be a real asset again. The long and short of it is that the Club on paper has nothing to gain from paying up his contract early. 

Agree, if it’s going to cost the same to pay him off as to keep him until his contract runs down, we might as well keep him and hopefully get a few games out of him in between injuries.

• Like 1

Only time will tell, he has had injury spells in the past, Vale took him on after completing a full season with Aldershot. Whether his previous spells were hamstring related I do know, nor whether he will recover full fitness and confidence. But worth a few months perseverance on the basis of his skills, even if he has to be treated as a squad player instead of a shoe-in. Employment and insurance aspects I expect the club to deal fairly if a recovery is not made.

• Like 1