Old fort

Is Manny a shoe-in?

I'm not wanting to be controversial,  but who steps aside to accommodate Manny when he's fit?

Personally I can only assume that it can only be Conlon, as Jake Taylor, providing he stays beyond January, is performing beyond what we've seen in midfield for some time. Let's also not forget that Burgess hasn't been too shabby either and I believe that both Taylor and  Burgess have flourished under the influence of Joyce. 

As much as a fully fit Manny, for as long as he can stay fit, is massive boost, it's a brilliant situation when we have to think of which players out of the current midfield should make way for him, given how well the lads are currently performing. 

• Like 1

What a position to be in with a fit Manny and the other players in midfield having to fight to keep their places.

Just hope we can keep Jake Taylor in January as he has improved considerably since arriving on loan.

One position at least where they will not need new signings in January.

Manny will seem like a new signing if he can stay fit.

• Like 2

Got to be honest I'd forgotten about him.

We're now in a good position regards making sure he's actually fully fit rather than throwing him back in at the first sign he's better as we've got nobody else.

15 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

Got to be honest I'd forgotten about him.

We're now in a good position regards making sure he's actually fully fit rather than throwing him back in at the first sign he's better as we've got nobody else.

Has he not had an operation, which may or may not be a success?

55 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Has he not had an operation, which may or may not be a success?

He has  had a Hamstring op. Manny really has it all to do, he should be shoehorn, but and is a big but, if he can prove his fitness.

• Like 1

Competition for the midfield places is fierce at the moment so no, Manny isn't a shoe-in. Hope he fully recovers from injury and gets back to the player we know he can be at PVFC.

• Like 1

He needs to have recovered fully and then some to make the bench. He’s also a player that can take a couple of games to get match fit. Not a shoe in because of our current form. We’ve got Worrall to come back in who (if fit) is more of a shoe in. Worrall’s hip may benefit from the suspension.

• Like 2

Even more controversially ( not sure when his contract is up) should he get a new contract ? Certainly when fit was one of the first names on the team sheet and a player who made a difference. However is he fit often enough/just unlucky  and is a Jake Taylor type player a better value option. ?

I’d give him a new contract offer that reflects some of the uncertainties about his future. Great player when fit and the idea of this op was to try to permanently fix a problem. No point in doing the surgery if  we don’t give it a chance to work. 

1 hour ago, Danish Valiant said:

That will be an issue for about 4 matches. Then he’ll be injured again...

If the surgery does not work, hopefully it will.

No one person is entitled to an automatic starting place when returning from injury, when the team are playing so well. You do not change a winning formula. As a manager it sends out the wrong message to other players, who’ve performed really well. It may well please most supporters to see Manny back on the pitch, including myself. However if he comes straight into the team and results go against us, ppl will blame JA. If the teams form dips then yes, as soon as he’s fit, if JA thinks it’s the right decision.

A quick check on Manny’s wiki page shows several incidences of hamstring injuries at different clubs. At 26 this problem is not going to go away.

Let’s hope this surgery solves his on going problem. But by the time he’s back on the pitch playing is there going to be enough time and opportunity left in the season for him to prove his fitness ahead the start of the next campaign ?

Tough one. 

Edited by RailwayRowdy

23 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

Even more controversially ( not sure when his contract is up) should he get a new contract ? 

He signed a two-year deal in the summer so it's not any time soon.

• Like 1