onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Is Manny a shoe-in?

Old fort

4 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Joyce is already playing the role very effectively, now is not the time to find out if others can learn to do the same job. Maybe towards the end of the season. We don't want Manny trying too much rough stuff when he is coming back from injury for example.

Oyeleke doesn't get injured with rough stuff it's making his forward runs that has generally aggravated his hamstring.  He's the best all round midfielder we have and could play in any of the 3 positions. Not too sure which way I would play it but I think Manny's distribution is better than Joyce and I'd certainly be tempted to go with Taylor, Oyeleke and either Conlon (played well recently) or Burgess. 

Advert

I think there have been large periods highlighted in the last 2 games where we’ve been outmuscled in midfield that’s seen us under sustained pressure. Manny would certainly add more strength into that area. Joyce has been excellent this season, keeps it simple and keeps us ticking over, he’s one of those players who goes largely unnoticed and is underrated. He shouldn’t be making way for manny. 

4 hours ago, PV1973 said:

I think there have been large periods highlighted in the last 2 games where we’ve been outmuscled in midfield that’s seen us under sustained pressure. Manny would certainly add more strength into that area. Joyce has been excellent this season, keeps it simple and keeps us ticking over, he’s one of those players who goes largely unnoticed and is underrated. He shouldn’t be making way for manny. 

I’d agree with this.  I’d still go with the current 3 and let Manny have some 20 minute cameos from the bench for 3 or 4 games.  No need to rush him back if results are OK.

He’ll make a bigger difference away from home.

Sadly, as much as I like Burgess, he’d be the one to make way when Taylor is back.

Manny has got the potential to be a key player for us.  But, without any slant on him whatsoever, that's what it is for me still.  Potential.

He simply hasnt played enough for us for me to think "yeah, he starts if fit regardless."  

I'd see him being gradually reintroduced to the side.  Fair enough then if he proves himself indispensable. 

Scott Burgess has to go down as one of our best finds in recent years.  I have to admit, I expected absolutely nothing apart from a squad player.  I've been really impressed with him.

Worrall Manny Joyce Taylor Amoo

That is a very good midfield for this level, and harsh on Burgess as he is capable but this is the strength and depth, if we can keep that five next season (Taylor will be hard) with Conlon and Burgess as back up options then I think the midfield would look very good indeed to build around.

2 hours ago, philmpv said:

Whatever happens, we know that, provided Burgess stays beyond this season, we have a direct replacement for Jake Taylor. 

Burgess, on what we’ve seen so far, doesn’t appear to quite have Taylor’s eye for goal.  That’s not to say Burgess can’t finish, just that, as things stand, Taylor is better in this department.  Otherwise they’re very similar in both stature and ability.  Plus of course young enough to develop further.

Im a big fan of Burgess but would probably have to sacrifice him for a fully fit and in form Manny, in a 3 of Joyce, Manny, Taylor.

Archived