onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Is Manny a shoe-in?

Old fort

8 hours ago, Aussie Rules said:

This is one of those situations where I wish a player all the very best as a footballer, but when it comes to the harsh reality of lower league club finances it makes sense to tailor contracts subject to a player's availability.

It works both ways,. If a player is as good or better than the rest of the squad - and is 1st on the team sheet week, week out - we know full well agents will shop front for better contract deals across the 'Leagues.

It's a tough call.    

We can only hope that his operation has  been successful, otherwise another Andoh  but without such a long recovery time with his more serious injury. There have been others in the past with promising futures too.

Advert

Due back in training this week according to Askey few days back. Now he's actually had the surgery, I'd give him one last chance, but then if he's injured again any time soon, think we're gonna have to drop him. Can't be carrying players whatever their wage if they aren't in contention long term (for any reason, skill, injury etc).

Prior to Worrall getting his place/form back Manny was easily our best midfielder, these days though it'd just be a bonus to have him & I'm not too worried if he doesn't make it back in the side permanently. His position is one of the least concerning in the team right now.

32 minutes ago, Tomo said:

Due back in training this week according to Askey few days back. Now he's actually had the surgery, I'd give him one last chance, but then if he's injured again any time soon, think we're gonna have to drop him. Can't be carrying players whatever their wage if they aren't in contention long term (for any reason, skill, injury etc).

Prior to Worrall getting his place/form back Manny was easily our best midfielder, these days though it'd just be a bonus to have him & I'm not too worried if he doesn't make it back in the side permanently. His position is one of the least concerning in the team right now.

Ironic given how some on here were clamouring for both Adam Yates and Kjell Knopps to be given new deals, despite their serious injuries, to be 'fair' to the players involved. It appears that, at that time, the Club were expected to act as some kind of benevolent fund for crocked players. What's changed?

6 minutes ago, philmpv said:

Ironic given how some on here were clamouring for both Adam Yates and Kjell Knopps to be given new deals, despite their serious injuries, to be 'fair' to the players involved. It appears that, at that time, the Club were expected to act as some kind of benevolent fund for crocked players. What's changed?

I think the difference is with Yates and Knopps, both got serious injuries playing for port vale, but were one off injuries.

Manny is injured, comes back for a couple of games, then is injured again, over and over again.

1 hour ago, Conrad said:

I think the difference is with Yates and Knopps, both got serious injuries playing for port vale, but were one off injuries.

Manny is injured, comes back for a couple of games, then is injured again, over and over again.

We've had many players like that over the years, it's not that unusual. Michael Walsh, Lee Matthews et al spring to mind. It's part and parcel of any football club. The fact is that he is under contract for another season, at least, so the only options for the Club are to either let him see out his contract, or pay it up. Either way, the Club will be expending the same money, unless Manny agrees to a lower settlement (would you do that in these circumstances), or retires. He is a quality player, as we've all seen, so if he can get fit and stay fit he will be a real asset again. The long and short of it is that the Club on paper has nothing to gain from paying up his contract early. 

5 minutes ago, philmpv said:

We've had many players like that over the years, it's not that unusual. Michael Walsh, Lee Matthews et al spring to mind. It's part and parcel of any football club. The fact is that he is under contract for another season, at least, so the only options for the Club are to either let him see out his contract, or pay it up. Either way, the Club will be expending the same money, unless Manny agrees to a lower settlement (would you do that in these circumstances), or retires. He is a quality player, as we've all seen, so if he can get fit and stay fit he will be a real asset again. The long and short of it is that the Club on paper has nothing to gain from paying up his contract early. 

Agree, if it’s going to cost the same to pay him off as to keep him until his contract runs down, we might as well keep him and hopefully get a few games out of him in between injuries.

Only time will tell, he has had injury spells in the past, Vale took him on after completing a full season with Aldershot. Whether his previous spells were hamstring related I do know, nor whether he will recover full fitness and confidence. But worth a few months perseverance on the basis of his skills, even if he has to be treated as a squad player instead of a shoe-in. Employment and insurance aspects I expect the club to deal fairly if a recovery is not made.

• 3 weeks later...

For me, if fit, manny would replace Joyce. He can and has played that role, and would offer much more movement skill and fluidity to the role. With him bringing the ball out and dictating play, and burgess and taylor running and pressing ahead of him, I think that would offer us so much more. Joyce is a decent player at this level, but all of the other 3 mentioned have the ability and time to play higher.

54 minutes ago, philmpv said:

For me, if fit, manny would replace Joyce. He can and has played that role, and would offer much more movement skill and fluidity to the role. With him bringing the ball out and dictating play, and burgess and taylor running and pressing ahead of him, I think that would offer us so much more. Joyce is a decent player at this level, but all of the other 3 mentioned have the ability and time to play higher.

Joyce is already playing the role very effectively, now is not the time to find out if others can learn to do the same job. Maybe towards the end of the season. We don't want Manny trying too much rough stuff when he is coming back from injury for example.

2 hours ago, philmpv said:

I think Joyce’s contribution gets overlooked a bit. He doesn’t have a sexy role and therefore doesn’t stand out. 

Manny’s best attribute is that he can break the lines with the ball at his feet. He moves us forward.

The Joyce role primarily needs to worry about positioning and defending.

For me Manny is better suited to playing in front of Joyce. He can then drive us forward without fear of being pickpocketed and there being space behind.

He also does have the defensive ability so helps the midfield three transition from defence, by sitting by Joyce, to attack by pushing up.

Joyce, Manny Taylor for me

But don’t discount Burgess who is really settling into league football. Its great fun to look back at posts when he signed and the usual posters losing their sh*t over how bad he would be and how Askey didn’t have a clue what he was doing *cough* Ernie! 

Conlon is also improving with game time (looks like match fitness really is a thing. Who would have thought)

One thing for certain... Askey in one season has transitioned us from a very weak side to playoff contenders. Give him time and don’t expect too much and it will be interesting to see what he can build!

2 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

I think Joyce’s contribution gets overlooked a bit. He doesn’t have a sexy role and therefore doesn’t stand out. 

Manny’s best attribute is that he can break the lines with the ball at his feet. He moves us forward.

The Joyce role primarily needs to worry about positioning and defending.

For me Manny is better suited to playing in front of Joyce. He can then drive us forward without fear of being pickpocketed and there being space behind.

He also does have the defensive ability so helps the midfield three transition from defence, by sitting by Joyce, to attack by pushing up.

Joyce, Manny Taylor for me

But don’t discount Burgess who is really settling into league football. Its great fun to look back at posts when he signed and the usual posters losing their sh*t over how bad he would be and how Askey didn’t have a clue what he was doing *cough* Ernie! 

Conlon is also improving with game time (looks like match fitness really is a thing. Who would have thought)

One thing for certain... Askey in one season has transitioned us from a very weak side to playoff contenders. Give him time and don’t expect too much and it will be interesting to see what he can build!

Keeping everyone motivated during a period of transition is also a task, Clarke and Taylor hopefully will make significant contributions to a PO push, but may or may not be with us next season. Our own players need to develop alongside them without a drop in progress, permitting funds to be concentrated on strikers.

Archived