Fosse69

EFLT R2 Port Vale v Mansfield Town

Good win, made 7 changes but that was mostly their strongest XI available I believe which was heavily financed.

They looked poor and we played some good stuff, poor error for their first goal and should of put the game to bed but to win on pens is pleasing (seem to always win pens in this cup) and another 20k and another progression in the cup.

Had we won it would of been 7 wins in 9 but nonetheless it’s good times to be a Vale fan.

Huge game Saturday now to keep the buzz going, if we can stay in the play off hunt until January then with the money from the City tie we might for once have a strong second half of the season and have half a chance.

25th game of the season, and we've only lost 5 of them - impressive. 13 wins and 7 draws. If we can roll that forward in to the second half of the season, we will be there or thereabouts. Thank you Carol, Kevin and John, and the squad - you have restored some pride quicker than I thought you could. We're going to need a bigger biscuit tin at this rate....

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

I think we have a great chance of keeping Taylor till the end of the season to be honest, I think he loves it here at Vale and he had said so himself he is coming out of his shell around the lads.

No doubt there will be interest from other teams but he’d have to start from scratch half way through the season and here he’s pretty much one of the first names on the team sheet so if he went to league 1 then he may not play half as much.

He may have scored a good goal tonight but he should have made it 3-1 but I think we’ll let him off for scoring his penalty!

UTV

• Like 1

Given the money coming in, shouldn't we be making Forest an offer for Taylor to buy him asap?  Can't remember the last time we paid a decent fee for a player, but he is one we should be looking to build the midfield of the future around.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lornelounger said:

Given the money coming in, shouldn't we be making Forest an offer for Taylor to buy him asap?  Can't remember the last time we paid a decent fee for a player, but he is one we should be looking to build the midfield of the future around.

I’ll be very shocked if they allow him to come on a permanent, he’ll be a premier league player or a championship player at the very least, he’s 21/22? He’s got a huge future here and I think he will see himself playing in a higher division than League 2 potentially league 1 

Not sure about Premier League, but if he is keen to play and we can make League 1, he might be keen. The lad was in Forest reserves? If he is going to be Premiership, he would be in their first team by now, wouldn't he? Doubtless there would be a sell on fee if there was a deal, but we need to start looking at Championship reserve players to improve the squad - Rudgie made a career of aiming high and making ambitious offers.

Edited by Lornelounger

Taylor’s made massive progress from when he first broke into the side, initially games were passing him by and he was struggling to get in to them. Don’t get me wrong he can still disappear in games for spells but now he’s making an impact in matches with goals, getting into good positions and making key contributions. TBH I would imagine that Sproson is trying to get him to play at a higher level, and I don’t see him taking a permanent offer here yet without knowing what’s out there first. He holds the cards right now with the amount of goals he’s getting I think. 

The game lacked energy and a spark tonight. It felt like a reserve game at times. Poor from Atkinson for their first goal, Lloyd didn’t have much of an impact (I agree no need to mock though when he goes off), Legge made a difference. Browne looked good in patches and Worrall is going to be a big miss in the league games. A wins a win no matter how you do it though. 

Edited by PV1973

Genuinely would start handing lifetime bans for people cheering a player getting substituted.

Frog march them out. Get 'em banned. I'll go into their job, and as their boss hands them a P45 for ballsing up the spreadsheet I'll "WAYYYYYY" through the window, having a right old chortle with my pals.

Proper winds me up. I've been angry at players being inadequate before but it literally achieves NOTHING, celebrating a lad who knows the fans don't like him getting hauled, with more gusto than either goal.

Get them on a register, proper wrong'uns.

Edited by Joe B

Agreed re Sproson wanting Taylor to play at a higher level - just hoping it could be with us! Not sure what his wages are in Forest reserves, and whether that could be a stumbling block, but it would be great to have him permanently from what I've seen. He's come on a lot. If JB is right and he is available in the summer, then at least let's keep him with us until then.

6 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Special mention to the utter freaks who cheered Lloyd getting subbed;

That was bizarre behaviour.  The other 90% of the crowd clapped him.

• Like 2

Just now, Jacko51 said:

That was bizarre behaviour.  The other 90% of the crowd clapped him.

He wasn't even our worst central midfielder tonight but some folk couldn't wait for the self satisfactory "told you he was sh***" nonsense.

I know I bang on and I don't particularly rate the lad as a footballer either, but he's working hard and doing a job in the cup games for what will be a pittance. Politely applaud him off for his effort, go home, and stop celebrating his struggles.

• Like 3

Some proper wingnuts down the Vale at times - just jumping on a non existent bandwagon tonight having a go at Lloyd, who had decent game. But that probably didn't fit their twisted agenda.  Pond life.

5 minutes ago, Lornelounger said:

Agreed re Sproson wanting Taylor to play at a higher level - just hoping it could be with us! Not sure what his wages are in Forest reserves, and whether that could be a stumbling block, but it would be great to have him permanently from what I've seen. He's come on a lot. If JB is right and he is available in the summer, then at least let's keep him with us until then.

Depends what the competition is like at Forest, interest elsewhere, sell on clause if we or Carol can coax him?  Quite a change to consider dreaming.

• Like 1

Taylor's contract, from all the sources I've read, is up at the end of this season.

If he carries on this form (well on course to smash double figures for goals), it'll be an almighty struggle getting him to stay.

Agreed, it won't be easy to keep him if he continues to score like he has done, but he seems to enjoy it here, and if he could help get us in to the play offs and then up, regular first team football in league 1 might appeal. And yes, it is great to be talking about this Fosse - not something we have been able to ponder for a while!

• Like 1