onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

EFLT R2 Port Vale v Mansfield Town

Fosse69

Advert

2 hours ago, whotobeakiller said:

Now you are being silly. Pope misses more than he scores over a general period. But I am on the other hand happy he scored (For the team) I'm not going on record to say I like the Pope personality (berating fans on twitter, drinking inbetween games etc) because I don't. I have an expectation of how a pro footballer should behave (You probably deem that irrelevant..I don't)

For those who say he is a legend. He is a legend in his own right, but don't make comparisons to players like Naylor and Ainsworth...Pope will never reach that level and you know it

He's a legend because for anyone under 30 he's probably the best Vale player they've seen. Morsy and Hugill became better players after they left. Pugh, Tongue, Kay Eagles and probably a few others were better players in their day just because they played at a much higher level; though were past their prime when we signed them.

Every striker misses more than they score. I have a friend who is mates with Ian Rush. When I lived in South Wales we went out for quite a few meals. Rush was the best finisher I've see and he said he scored a goal every 3.5 chances he got. I suspect you were correct in your post about Pope's next hat trick as scoring 3 is partly ability, partly one of those games everything goes in. Given his age it's probable he won't have another one of those games. I think he's scored 4 hat tricks in a 14 year career. As long as he can carry on averaging one goal every 3 to 4 games he will remain an important part of the club, even if he doesn't play every game.

Pope plays a lone striker up front on his own and teams worked out that if they mark him with two players it prevents him scoring.

We really need to move on to give him more support by playing two up front and getting the ball forward quicker.

A lot of teams in Div 2 would love a player like Pope up front so there would be plenty of takers if he left.

Cant understand why he hasn’t played more games from the start and Bennett coming on later in the game.

Archived