Fosse69

EFLT R2 Port Vale v Mansfield Town

Brimming with confidence and momentum on our return to the fortress,  scope for a change or two as well as giving Worrall some match fitness. Mansfield`s only chance of Wembley, whereas we may be distracted by a tasty 3rd round tie. There is also a game against the Saddlers on Saturday to keep in mind, so one game at a time.  2-0 and £20k for the win.

Worrall can play it’s now been clarified with the FA.

Worrall and Joyce May as well play as both have a rest at the weekend.

Do we play Pope again or make a change there to keep him fresh for Walsall?

Hard to say how we will take this one in terms of how many changes Askey is willing to make.

Brisley maybe for Legge, Cullen or Bennett for Pope and Worrall for Browne.

You'd imagine Burgess, Atkinson, Worrall, Cullen, Bennett, Joyce and Brisley will definitely start. The other 3 spots will depend on how much Askey wants to win. Is Crookes back in training?

Edited by JRC
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, JRC said:

You'd imagine Burgess, Atkinson, Worrall, Cullen, Bennett, Joyce and Brisley will definitely start. The other 3 spots will depend on how much Askey wants to win. Is Crookes back in training?

Now is not the time to get cocky with what, at the moment, is an in-depth squad. Injuries can soon pile up in what is a hectic few weeks of fixtures.

Rest Burgess, Cullen and Joyce, Brisley, Atkinson and Bennett need match play and I expect Bennett, if he does play, will put himself firmly back in the frame for selection.

9 minutes ago, whotobeakiller said:

Now is not the time to get cocky with what, at the moment, is an in-depth squad. Injuries can soon pile up in what is a hectic few weeks of fixtures.

Rest Burgess, Cullen and Joyce, Brisley, Atkinson and Bennett need match play and I expect Bennett, if he does play, will put himself firmly back in the frame for selection.

Joyce won't play for a fortnight, Burgess didn't start Saturday and Cullen has started one game in two months. We've got to play someone!

I know this competition has its critics (and rightly so) but it has been a tidy little earner for us and could prove to be relatively lucrative if we keep progressing.

Good chance to play those who are obviously good enough for this level (Atkinson, Brisley, Cullen) and to maybe rest those who've played every week, especially the older lads (Joyce and Legge, specifically).

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, whotobeakiller said:

Give Bennett a run out, cos he ain't going to replace Popey on Saturday 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, tommytunstall said:

Give Bennett a run out, cos he ain't going to replace Popey on Saturday 

Two strikers on fire are better than 1.

I wonder how long we will wait for the next Pope hattrick?

12 minutes ago, whotobeakiller said:

Without wanting to upset any players, how long till anyone scores a Hattrick, I presume you can tell me when anyone alse other than Pope has scored one for the Vale?

Some truly idiotic comments on here just to try and wind people up. Unless Cullen can only play 1 game a month then I’d be starting him tomorrow as he doesn’t need a rest. Rest Popey ready for Saturday too. How many players actually score regular hat tricks in professional football anyway? 

Id be resting Legge and maybe even Gibbo too. I’d also start Worrall over Amoo as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, whotobeakiller said:

Oh dear ,no post from you about Saturdays great result, Popeys hatrick must have really peed you off........confirmed by your sarcastic comments. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, aspin for england said:

Oh dear ,no post from you about Saturdays great result, Popeys hatrick must have really peed you off........confirmed by your sarcastic comments. 

Why would it pee me off? If he had consistently scored over a reasonable amount of games (As  wasn't the case) and the team had not been limited to Pope ball then I wouldn't be one of the so called 'Pope haters'

• Like 1

There is no way in this world that Popey will start two games in four days, especially when one of them is in the Effing Trophy.

15 hours ago, whotobeakiller said:

I bet it won't be as long as we would wait for a trio from Bennett!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, whotobeakiller said:

Why would it pee me off? If he had consistently scored over a reasonable amount of games (As  wasn't the case) and the team had not been limited to Pope ball then I wouldn't be one of the so called 'Pope haters'

Your comments really make you look very silly. Good heavens Popey has just become the joint top post war striker and in less games than Foyley who was also a fantastic servant to Port Vale. You will no doubt argue that Martin did it mainly in a higher league but I counter that by saying he was playing for a lot of that time with better players and several super wingers. How many would OUR TOM HAVE GOT WITH THE LIKES OF GUPPY McCARTHY AND AINWORTH PINGING THEM OVER ON TO HIS NAPPER.? I RECKON HE WOULD HAVE PROBABLY TAKEN WILF KIRKHAM'S RECORD.

Edited by old sage
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, ginginator said:

Without wanting to upset any players, how long till anyone scores a Hattrick, I presume you can tell me when anyone alse other than Pope has scored one for the Vale?

Marc Richards, Guy Madjo  and Louis Dodds spring to mind...

Edited by Rampant Zebra

Definitely a game for squad rotation and resting key players or anyone who is carrying a knock. All money is welcome but the Man City game takes the financial heat off this competition. We have a decent squad so lets use it with no recriminations.