onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FAC2 Cheltenham T v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

1 hour ago, Rampant Zebra said:

I think Reuben Reid getting injured and going off helped

It did. It enabled us to push up more in the 2nd half, meaning Pope was less isolated and didn’t need to do as much running. His finishing was top drawer and in terms of simply being able to kick a ball well, few do it better.

His fitness was greatly exposed in the first half, no pace and utterly ineffective. 

2nd half. Different class.

18 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

It did. It enabled us to push up more in the 2nd half, meaning Pope was less isolated and didn’t need to do as much running. His finishing was top drawer and in terms of simply being able to kick a ball well, few do it better.

His fitness was greatly exposed in the first half, no pace and utterly ineffective. 

2nd half. Different class.

Contrast the service he got from out wide in the first half with that in the second. That explains his ineffectiveness, not anything Popey was doing wrong. 

Couldn't make todays game and I wasn't overly bothered after the showing at Scunthorpe last time out. 

The first half sounded very dull and depressing. I feared the worst after the goal within the first couple of minutes. I was expecting Cheltenham to grow after the goal and go and find another, luckily for us this didn't happen.

Second half sounded completely different. I wasn't surprised when Pope drew us level, but I was very surprised when he went and scored two more in the space of eight minutes. We sounded a lot more organised and competitive in the second half, John must have got into the lads at half time. Credit to the boys in the second half!

I was praying that Tom would start this game, as I feel as though Bennett needed taking out of the firing line for a game or two. He seems to be low on confidence at the minute and it was starting to show in his performances of late. So at 2:00pm, I was very happy to see Tom back in the starting XI. In my opinion, Tom is the best forward we have at the club. I agree, he doesn't offer the mobility that others can, but Tom has never offered that. He is an old fashioned forward, who knows the game inside and out. He should be starting week in and week out. It's simple, if you provide good service for him, he will most likely score. 

Into the third round now then. For me, any of the big premier league teams away from home or Stoke. Anything else and I will be disappointed!!!!!!!!!!

Well done to the boys and a great way to respond to the loss last week. UTV! 

The trouble with getting a big side away is that the size of the crowd is always disappointing as the home fans don't want to watch L2 opposition. 

If we get one of the big clubs in R3 then at VP please. They'll put out their kids and we'll show them the way home.

7 hours ago, philmpv said:

The opening 15 mins have demonstrated perfectly for me why pope shouldn't be starting and certainly not the captain. Gibbons plays one bad ball and pope is screaming at him. Gibbons then looks bereft of any confidence and promptly makes 2 mistakes in a row

Can’t help but think that’s an exaggeration to suit the Pope bollocking young players instead of encouraging agenda. Pope did have a moan when Gibbo didn’t hit him with a diagonal ball. But personally I thought in that first half we had no options in front of the full backs, both of them got forward to receive the ball and neither of them had any runners to hit in the channels or their wingers got too close to be even be considered a decent option. Also none of the centre midfielders broke the lines to get behind and stretch their back line either.  So taking Gibbo as the example he ended up trying to force a ball a few times because of no options and it didn’t come off. So I wouldn’t say that was because he suddenly became  bereft of confidence because Popey moaned, but more him having no options going forward. The amount of times we got into some good space with both full backs and they looked up to see stationary players and no movement in that first half was unreal.

I think I said in my post at half time that the movement needed to improve dramatically and it did because in that second half our wingers actually became interested and showed what they can do when they get the chance. That in turn forced them back a bit more, because first half our lack of movement behind meant they didn’t have to worry about players making runs behind.

One other thing of note is the type of goals Pope scored today and the contrast with what we’ve had up front in the last couple of weeks. Those first 2 headers are brave, throwing himself at the ball and into centre halves are something that Bennett just does not do at all. So for me that second half showed that the key to playing with Pope up top is that the 2 players either side MUST provide the movement to get the ball in. But in addition I think Conlon and Taylor have to provide a different option with a run forward to go past Pope and into the areas behind their defence. We did not do that enough, especially in that first half and we were predictable.

Left back is a problem defensively and I thought it was interesting to watch what they did to cope with our full backs. With Monty they had clearly worked on playing balls inbetween him and Smith to get behind us and they did it with ease at times. Scunthorpe did that last week too, whereas our right hand side isn’t as susceptible to that. Meanwhile with Gibbo they made sure one of their forwards was always trying to cut out his space to try and stop him getting the ball. I don’t think that worked as he saw more of the ball than Monty, but we made very little of it because I think Amoo for long long periods offers him nothing. Amoo on his day could be one of the best wingers in this league if was interested every week. 

Overlal I didn’t think they were that good at all, and in the end we were comfortable. But we need to sort out the left hand side and we need to get some better movement when we get into that final third from the front 3 and the other 2 midfielders in front of Joyce. 

40 minutes ago, Heatwave said:

The trouble with getting a big side away is that the size of the crowd is always disappointing as the home fans don't want to watch L2 opposition. 

If we get one of the big clubs in R3 then at VP please. They'll put out their kids and we'll show them the way home.

Man Utd played Exeter at home in 2005 and nearly 68,000 watched it. If, and it's a big if, we get them away , I'm sure it would be at least 50,000. Of course, Liverpool at VP would be fine too.

Burton away then.

Excellent result to wake up to. I dread scrolling down the BBC Sport results page. This was an amazing feeling this morning. Well done to Askey, Pope and the boys.

Next Round, Chelsea, Stoke, Spurs or Newcastle at home. Or Man Utd or Spurs away.

Man Utd away, 50,000 x 20 quid should equal 400k for Vale from 1million gate receipts.

Couldn't go today because of London Northwestern train strikes. But magnificent result. Very well done. Stelling was wittering on about Pope having a bad season and only scoring three goals and then he got 3 in 8 mins. Bit harsh as he has been sub a lot of the time. The club needs the money of a big away team that might also be vulnerable to a smash and grab. Say Man Utd away. Not Liverpool, Leicester, Man City, Chelsea, Spurs or Wolves away, which would likely end bad to very bad. 

Archived