onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: FAC2 Cheltenham T v Port Vale

Fosse69

13 minutes ago, Walka003 said:
1 hour ago, Paul6754 said:
For any ex-pats who can't access the BBC video highlights. Get in.

Anyone else think that's an extremely harsh penalty to give? He was falling over how is he supposed to stop that happening!

At the game I thought Monty had grabbed the bloke's leg as he fell but we were at the other end of the ground so couldn't be sure.

Advert

Thought they created a good atmosphere banging their drum and chanting for the entire first half. Fair play to them. Very satisfying to silence them though.

Their “boys” to our right seemed a new addition from last season. And they were literally boys, they looked like school kids trying to give it the big un. Funny to see them getting chucked out as well. 

I had a guy behind me who did nothing but slag off Pope, saying we’re always a man down when he plays and how sh*t he is. Suffice to say he was dancing around in that second half. 

6 minutes ago, connor hackett said:

Thought they created a good atmosphere banging their drum and chanting for the entire first half. Fair play to them. Very satisfying to silence them though.

Yes I thought that maybe it was an area set aside by the club to get some kind of atmosphere going. Not sure that extended to scrapping with the stewards though. 

1 hour ago, Walka003 said:
3 hours ago, Paul6754 said:
For any ex-pats who can't access the BBC video highlights. Get in.

Anyone else think that's an extremely harsh penalty to give? He was falling over how is he supposed to stop that happening!

Hard to judge from the camera angle whether Monty made contact with him or not in the box.

Regarding the penalty, you simply cannot impede a player who goes past you in the penalty area. You have to let him go. Any kind of contact is a penalty. I don't think the ref had any choice. It may have been accidental or the ref might have thought he could have made a better effort to get out of the way. He wasn't booked was he? So the official must have thought it was a bit clumsy/unfortunate rather than a deliberate cynical foul. But whatever the circumstances it's a penalty all day long. But who now cares? We won a tricky game and that should boost confidence all round. And without arguably two of our best lads - Oyeleke and Worrall. A really good win for me. And a magical hat trick for Pope, of course.

These are games I'm 100% sure we would have lost in the last two seasons. But there is a bit more quality and a bit more spirit in the team now.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

Just imagine how upset some of our contributors to this forum must be this weekend. Last week, their little trigger happy fingers were working overtime after their long awaited defeat came along. Now I'm not saying that we're worldbeaters by any stretch of the imagination and I'll continue to realistically manage my expectations along  the similar lines that they were at the beginning of the season,  hardly daring to believe that we could possibly achieve greater heights. 

We're an evolving and improving outfit, but some folk can't seem to grasp the difference between what the club has gone through this past few years,  which critically threatened our very existence only a matter of months ago and what is happening right now. 

It's almost like the moaners think every defeat spells the end for us and react with a depressing predictability. The fact is that we're not going to win every game and shock, horror,  we may even lose some, but yesterday's performance totally sums us up. - A  very poor first half display,  followed by a match winning second half that leaves us scratching our heads and wondering  how can we capable of such  contrasting performances in one match,  let alone from week to week? 

Let's hope that we get a well deserved draw in the third round,  because after the fantastic week that the Vale have just had, it would just top it all of. Were now starting to say Port Vale instead of cheese when we have a photo taken. Always great to follow the Vale, but right now it feels like the stars are beginning to line up for us again. Love the Vale. 

I like percussion instruments in general but the arhythmic, moronic banging of one at a football match should be punished in the same manner as an encroachment onto the field of play.

The only thing worse than bringing a drum into a football stadium is not bringing a drum into a football stadium - and banging on the corrugated iron all game instead. Who did we play on Good Friday last season, was it Stevenage?

1 hour ago, cheshirevaliant said:

I'd love for Taylor to stay at the Vale but I think he can and will do better than us in January. Fingers crossed Oyeleke can give us half a season without breaking down...

The grass isn't always greener as others before have found out

1 hour ago, cheshirevaliant said:

I'd love for Taylor to stay at the Vale but I think he can and will do better than us in January. Fingers crossed Oyeleke can give us half a season without breaking down...

You might be right.

As with others though, it's a fine judgement.

Consolidate progress with another half season at Vale or take a step up, knowing that it might not work out.

Given most of these young lads experiences, consolidation is too often the path not taken, with corresponding regret.

It is a path that can easily get lost in the rush to the top and is vastly underused in our hurried world.

Imo, and from a totally objective stance 🙂, he should stay.

Archived