onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Pope suspension

Doha

3 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

We all know that football does not operate like the real world, so trying to equate it is pointless.

I have no clue what he said, I don’t follow twitter, as far as I’m concerned it’s dealt with how, but it seems some are offended and want him hung without knowing what he said either..... which is about right in this day and age.

You can google Tom Pope twitter.

Advert

33 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

We all know that football does not operate like the real world, so trying to equate it is pointless.

I have no clue what he said, I don’t follow him on twitter, as far as I’m concerned it’s dealt with now, but it seems some are offended and want him hung without knowing what he said either..... which is about right in this day and age. Judging from what people are saying It seems as though the dressing room “anything goes” humour spills over into toms social media posts. You can’t get away with that now. 

You're right, football doesn't operate like the real world.

Considering the adulation and social role these men play, especially to the younger folk our owners have explicitly said they want to attract, they should be held to HIGHER moral standards than us.

If I called customers of my employers 'b*******' or *c*****s, if I made insentive jokes about child sex abuse scandals, if I made some very prominent and abrasive comments on controversial and sensitive issues, I'd be sacked.

Pope has a larger responsibility than me, has been warned at least twice, and has now been fined and suspended.

He's gotten off lightly.

1 hour ago, pensioner said:

Tom, I believe uses different accounts for different things and I dont believe in this instance he was using a PVFC account but rather a personal one. That is my belief, as I am still unsure which daft mailing they have picked him up on. The key point here is that, whether he likes it or not ( I Know he does really) he is regarded as Mr Port Vale and as such , words attributed to him will reflect on the Vale in either a positive or negative way. What he has done would certainly lead to a response from any Human Resources at any reputable Company. In this instance the Sack would be inappropriate as I dont beileve he has been "charged" before though he has had warnings. In most reputable companies inappropriate activity leads to a verbal warning(s), followed by a written warning at the next occurrence. After the next occurance he would normally be brought before a disciplinary panel where he could account for his actions and appropriate action taken.  The external activity - ie the Ban , has been imposed by the EFL disciplinary board and I would now expect the club to impose its own sanction(s) according to the internal disciplinary code of conduct . Sack is the ultimate sanction but that may be one or two occurrences down the line depending on whether the warnings he has been given were, a) friendly, b) Formal, or c) written.     There is more water to flow under this bridge.    I'm sure Old Sage may have something to say and am very surprised he has not made a case for the defence already.

Football is not like any other business, as we all know. Barry Bennell was kept on as some clubs chose to ignore his activities, Dario likewise and many others. And as for even suggesting he might get the sack for giving his opinion, that is completely crazy and sounds similar to what the Government in Iran is doing now. For goodness sake this is England, it was an opinion , no one was hurt or injured, get over it.

With free speech comes responsibility. You can’t shout “Fire!” In a crowded theatre and expect no consequences. Tom has apparently been warned in the past about his use of social media. He seems to have ignored the warning. He can’t really complain at the consequences if he has stepped over the line again. 

28 minutes ago, jimbo57 said:

Football is not like any other business, as we all know. Barry Bennell was kept on as some clubs chose to ignore his activities, Dario likewise and many others. And as for even suggesting he might get the sack for giving his opinion, that is completely crazy and sounds similar to what the Government in Iran is doing now. For goodness sake this is England, it was an opinion , no one was hurt or injured, get over it.

I'm genuinely losing the will here.

HE HASN'T BEEN SUSPENDED FOR EXPRESSING AN OPINION.

HE'S BEEN SUSPENDED FOR REPEATEDLY SWEARING, ACTING UNPROFESSIONALLY WITH HIS ENGAGEMENT WITH FANS, AND NOT ACTING IN A WAY BEFITTING ANY PRO FOOTBALLER, LET ALONE A CAPTAIN.

THIS ISN'T BECAUS THE FA DISAGREE WITH HIS TRANSGENDER STANDPOINT, MORE THE WAY HE DECIDED TO EXPRESS HIS OPINION (AND ALL HIS OPINIONS FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS, LADEN WITH OBSCENETIES/PERSONAL ABUSE).

How many more times do we need to go through this people? In any other profession, Pope would have been sacked by now for the exact same twitter activity. He's been warned, and ignored it. Stop making this about free spech and wake up and realise the captain of our football club repeatedly brings our club's name into disrepute and damages the good community work our owners are doing by using distasteful language on Twitter.

Seeing his gramatically woeful tweets, laden with spelling mistakes and obscenities, as he engages in dreadful 'banter' with some 14 year old Stoke fan (a reminder Pope is in his mid 30s with a family) is cringe-worthy and embarassing.

You lot are harder work than the kids I teach every day, I swear.

I love the player, but as a bloke Pope has let himself down. This isn't a free speech/transgender debate, but a professionalism debate. Pope hasn't been professional. As stated, I can't see many potential sponsors wanting to do work with Vale if Pope is going to be the forefront of the campaign, especially if the sponsorship is young-people based. It takes one parent googling 'Tom Pope Port Vale', pull up some distasteful jokes about paedophilia, and suddenly there's some big questions to answer.

1 hour ago, PV1973 said:

I have no clue what he said, I don’t follow him on twitter, as far as I’m concerned it’s dealt with now, but it seems some are offended and want him hung without knowing what he said either..... which is about right in this day and age. Judging from what people are saying It seems as though the dressing room “anything goes” humour spills over into toms social media posts. You can’t get away with that now. 

Without knowing what he said? He posted it all on social media!

5 hours ago, Joe B said:

HE'S BEEN SUSPENDED FOR REPEATEDLY SWEARING, ACTING UNPROFESSIONALLY WITH HIS ENGAGEMENT WITH FANS, AND NOT ACTING IN A WAY BEFITTING ANY PRO FOOTBALLER, LET ALONE A CAPTAIN.

THIS ISN'T BECAUS THE FA DISAGREE WITH HIS TRANSGENDER STANDPOINT, MORE THE WAY HE DECIDED TO EXPRESS HIS OPINION (AND ALL HIS OPINIONS FOR THE LAST FEW YEARS, LADEN WITH OBSCENETIES/PERSONAL ABUSE).

How many more times do we need to go through this people? In any other profession, Pope would have been sacked by now for the exact same twitter activity. He's been warned, and ignored it. Stop making this about free spech and wake up and realise the captain of our football club repeatedly brings our club's name into disrepute and damages the good community work our owners are doing by using distasteful language on Twitter.

Seeing his gramatically woeful tweets, laden with spelling mistakes and obscenities, as he engages in dreadful 'banter' with some 14 year old Stoke fan (a reminder Pope is in his mid 30s with a family) is cringe-worthy and embarassing.

I love the player, but as a bloke Pope has let himself down. This isn't a free speech/transgender debate, but a professionalism debate. Pope hasn't been professional. As stated, I can't see many potential sponsors wanting to do work with Vale if Pope is going to be the forefront of the campaign, especially if the sponsorship is young-people based. It takes one parent googling 'Tom Pope Port Vale', pull up some distasteful jokes about paedophilia, and suddenly there's some big questions to answer.

This just takes me back, to when I was watching the FA Cup on BT Sport midweek.

Every single time, a fan shouted a swear word, the commentator would, without a shadow of a doubt instantly say "I'm sorry if our microphones has picked up any profanities. We do apologize!". First time I though it was a joke, but as he continued every single time, I couldn't believe it! I was watching bloody FOOTBALL, not a church service!!! If someone watching football, goes into cardiac arrest because they hear the word s... or c... on tv, well maybe you should go watch Strictly Come Dancing instead and leave football all together!

23 hours ago, whotobeakiller said:

I'm not a great Pope fan but if he put forward views on Trans people and dissaproved then he is entitled to do so....if we don't have free speech what do we have

'House Rules' determine free speech. On OVF it's the T&Cs of membership. In my employment my signed contract clearly stated what I could and couldn't do - with the blunt message of 3 strikes and you're out.

11 hours ago, toyahw said:

When he was getting stick, I put  the poll here up, is Pope a legend? 97% yes. His response, "<ovf censored> off, don't care what you think". And this was supporting the bloke. There is banter and there is being an obnoxious a-hole. Pope has crossed the line. And I'm his #2 fan (after Old Sage).

I'm sure that Tom is very bothered about what people think about him but I guess he is a more than a little tired of the number of fans who have stopped patting him on the back and started to stick knives in it instead!

For me if the man never scores another goal for us or plays another game, I will always treasure the many great memories that he has given me and how he has saved us almost single handedly at times from several relegation scrapes.

Believe me everybody needs to be loved and Tom Pope is no different!

Well I hope he’s got a trade skill, because I think he’ll struggle to get a job in football with a league club. If he’s been warned previously but not many ppl knew about. It’s now in the public arena so will be all over the internet, able to be viewed globally, if ppl are interested to research TP.

11 hours ago, Joe B said:

How do you know 'HE'S BEEN SUSPENDED FOR REPEATEDLY SWEARING, ACTING UNPROFESSIONALLY WITH HIS ENGAGEMENT WITH FANS, AND NOT ACTING IN A WAY BEFITTING ANY PRO FOOTBALLER?' Do you work for the FA or are such a dedicated follower of his posts that you memorise every one of them?

Surely if you don't like what he says and risk being offended, then don't read his posts. I don't read  articles, newspapers or watch programmes on TV I don't enjoy, the choice is yours.

According to The Sentinel  he has been fined 'because of comments on Twitter.' No mention of what he said.

Archived