onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Pope suspension

Doha

16 hours ago, whotobeakiller said:

Some are enjoying tax payer paid pensions...'Im alright Jack springs to mind'. Suggest admission prices too much and 'The club isn't a charity'/ Just so happens she paid for her cheap season ticket months ago.

As did 4,000 others.  And I wouldn't mind betting you spent more on ale in the last 12 months than I spent on my season ticket (about a fiver a week) - certainly you sound a bit the worse for wear when you post on here.  I don't know what I've done to upset you but if you let me know .... I'll carry on doing it!

Advert

1 hour ago, TJHValiant said:

Let’s be honest here, Tom Pope would have to accept what is being offered as a footballer for a reduced wage in the lower leagues if there was a wage cap to ensure say £10 gate tickets.-

He wouldn’t earn his reduced wage which let’s say tickets are £10, could still comfortably be £1k per week, doing anything else. 

I earn a very good salary but £20 plus for watching football is crippling for even me when you add on other expenses 

Wage caps?.... that's dangerous territory.

Would you accept a wage cap 50% of what you get now?

If you are on a very good salary and £20 is crippling I would suggest you are over extended in other areas or it's not as good as you think.

I will offer the advice I have followed..... if you can't afford it don't buy it.

Until football makes the list of human rights it's a privilege you pay the going rate for..... it's a business, it has to make a profit to survive, pricing can be adjusted when money flow is established.

I earn a very good salary but £20 plus for watching football is crippling for even me when you add on other expenses 

Question - If you have a VERY GOOD salary how come you pay £20 plus ?   A season ticket works out better than what you are paying, With the election coming up I wouldn't go on about how Good your salary is as you will have the Corbynites wanting to tax you more, Also saying that you have a good Salary on here is tantamount to saying you are a little norman Smurftwat.   ie You are salaried staff rather than an hourly paid chap, and its a Good salary so you are better off than the average !. People only come on here and say they are poorer than church mice and have to go to food kitchens for their 17 kids, and to feed their beer and fags habit🤣

Let’s be honest here, Tom Pope would have to accept what is being offered as a footballer for a reduced wage in the lower leagues if there was a wage cap to ensure say £10 gate tickets.-

He wouldn’t earn his reduced wage which let’s say tickets are £10, could still comfortably be £1k per week, doing anything else. 

When you have wage/admission  caps the level would be agreed by the league members, probably similar to what they are today.. Football is no longer a cheap entertainment, lots of people used to go to football every week either to Stoke or Vale, there were not so many alternatives in those days either. But the Vale are also competing in a League where some clubs are in better paid areas. As I said before 7th division clubs charge £10.

37 minutes ago, geosname said:

Wage caps?.... that's dangerous territory.

Would you accept a wage cap 50% of what you get now?

If you are on a very good salary and £20 is crippling I would suggest you are over extended in other areas or it's not as good as you think.

I will offer the advice I have followed..... if you can't afford it don't buy it.

Until football makes the list of human rights it's a privilege you pay the going rate for..... it's a business, it has to make a profit to survive, pricing can be adjusted when money flow is established.

I do get a wage cap. The public sector pay freeze was a form of salary cap.

I can afford it, but when you factor in away games, transport etc it isn’t the everyday community activity it should be. 

People are right about amateur divisions charging £10, absolutely outrageous given they often earn a living elsewhere and are literally pub players..

Years ago I always went to the Vale one week and often Stoke the next. Whoever was at home. From memory it was about 2 bob but my memory isn't good enough to remember very clearly. However, it was cheap and it was doable for a working class lad. That has now all changed and it's become quite expensive. That said, of course, if you go to the theatre, pop concert, tennis match, whatever, it is even dearer so it hasn't got out of all proportion even if it is a bit dear for a poor area like ours.

20 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

I can afford it, but when you factor in away games, transport etc it isn’t the everyday community activity it should be. 

People are right about amateur divisions charging £10, absolutely outrageous given they often earn a living elsewhere and are literally pub players..

I would expect 7th Division to be semi-pro, there is also the ground and all the overheads to consider.There are 13 levels in football so a bit above pub players  Also for some their only way to watch live football,  if they cannot afford Leicester  occasional games, £30 for corner areas, £40 ends, £50 sides, with no certainty of tickets. .

1 hour ago, TheSage said:

Years ago I always went to the Vale one week and often Stoke the next. Whoever was at home. From memory it was about 2 bob but my memory isn't good enough to remember very clearly. However, it was cheap and it was doable for a working class lad. That has now all changed and it's become quite expensive. That said, of course, if you go to the theatre, pop concert, tennis match, whatever, it is even dearer so it hasn't got out of all proportion even if it is a bit dear for a poor area like ours.

Absolutely. However pop concerts are a bit more niche. Paying £100 for Bon Jovi, I would never do, but millions will.  Tennis has few events and the ranking system means you are definitely seeing the worlds top players. They bring in millions from Sponsorship and bands like Muse spend millions on sets and stage shows. 

Premier League football brings in billions from TV and countless other endorsement revenues. In fact many clubs could let in fans for free and still make money.

4th DIV clubs rely on fans. Our highest earners would not get the wages they do without our support at £20 odd. 

Earning those sums solely off the backs of fans isn’t sustainable or fair. In many cases 90 mins of watching football equals nearly three hours of work on minimum wage. 

2 hours ago, TJHValiant said:

You are not saying freeze wages...... you are advocating reducing them by 50%..... would you accept it?

It's a catch 22.... the crowds won't increase until the team improve..... the team won't improve without money from gate receipts..... with the improvement comes increased sponsorship and increased money flow from other activities which could bring down the cost of gate prices.

Will the new owners do that?..... I suspect they will if it's viable...... bearing in mind they have just invested £5,000,000 of their own money to save the club do you seriously expect them to risk bankruptcy? 

If we offered players £100 a match and free food on match days how low do you think we would sink? 

Pope gobbing off won't endear sponsors, won't enhance the reputation of the club and won't improve the teams reputation or his future work prospects ...... it might make him popular down the pub and his future may be in that particular industry.

3 hours ago, geosname said:

You are not saying freeze wages...... you are advocating reducing them by 50%..... would you accept it?

It's a catch 22.... the crowds won't increase until the team improve..... the team won't improve without money from gate receipts..... with the improvement comes increased sponsorship and increased money flow from other activities which could bring down the cost of gate prices.

Will the new owners do that?..... I suspect they will if it's viable...... bearing in mind they have just invested £5,000,000 of their own money to save the club do you seriously expect them to risk bankruptcy? 

If we offered players £100 a match and free food on match days how low do you think we would sink? 

Pope gobbing off won't endear sponsors, won't enhance the reputation of the club and won't improve the teams reputation or his future work prospects ...... it might make him popular down the pub and his future may be in that particular industry.

We wouldn’t sink if there was a consensus on ticket prices. If every club agreed a price, wages would fall to a natural level. 

I actually believe it would attract more fans at some clubs. I would go to more, certainly. 

Vale should not do this alone as you’re right, we would be at a distinct competitive disadvantage but if every club had to do it...

41 minutes ago, TJHValiant said:

We wouldn’t sink if there was a consensus on ticket prices. If every club agreed a price, wages would fall to a natural level. 

I actually believe it would attract more fans at some clubs. I would go to more, certainly. 

Vale should not do this alone as you’re right, we would be at a distinct competitive disadvantage but if every club had to do it...

I agree more people would attend, the problem is gate receipt monies would probably decrease.

Football is a business not a care in the community project. If you can't afford it don't go. A business with any sense will adjust to survive if possible, if it can't it falls or gets sold.

The only way I could see wage caps being viable is if it applied to the whole not just one part.... ie all professional leagues..... can you see that happening?.... I suppose it's possible if you nationalised it..

But then what do you say to players who are past their prime?.... 30? 35? On the scrap heap?.... you spent15 years running around a field, you can't do much else, retrain and start at the bottom again, not much in your pension pot, good job we didn't pay you enough to get a mortgage, you should have picked a job with prospects.

Any player with talent would be signed up by a higher league for an extra tenner and you are left with the barely capable, attendances would spiral downwards dragging gate receipts with them and the club disappears .

35 minutes ago, geosname said:

I agree more people would attend, the problem is gate receipt monies would probably decrease.

Football is a business not a care in the community project. If you can't afford it don't go. A business with any sense will adjust to survive if possible, if it can't it falls or gets sold.

The only way I could see wage caps being viable is if it applied to the whole not just one part.... ie all professional leagues..... can you see that happening?.... I suppose it's possible if you nationalised it..

But then what do you say to players who are past their prime?.... 30? 35? On the scrap heap?.... you spent15 years running around a field, you can't do much else, retrain and start at the bottom again, not much in your pension pot, good job we didn't pay you enough to get a mortgage, you should have picked a job with prospects.

Any player with talent would be signed up by a higher league for an extra tenner and you are left with the barely capable, attendances would spiral downwards dragging gate receipts with them and the club disappears .

Rugby Union operate a salary cap, Saracens fiddled it to become Champions for 2 years.

17 hours ago, geosname said:

It's a pity you didn't take advantage of the tax payer funded education available.

Let's imagine the business is breaking even at £20 per ticket and the average gate is 4,000, reduce the price to £10 and you need 8,000 per game, £5 needs 16,000..... is that possible? After 10 years of failed management and performance?

Let's extend the theory..... Tesco should reduce the cost of its products by 50% because people can't afford them and use food banks instead..... tell stoke Audi they should reduce the price of a new car because you can't afford it and they would sell twice as many if they did.

From what I understand..... monies made by the club go back into the club.... almost a none profit organisation.... sounds good to me..... a damn site better than throwing money at it and going bankrupt..... I hope the cost of the purchase is being extracted..... but wait...... perhaps they should have asked for a 50% discount because they couldn't afford the asking price?

Pricing is a balancing act..... to expensive and people won't buy...... crap product and people won't buy

Take advantage of taxpayer funded education and end up in ££££'s of pounds worth of debt...yeah right ok...sounds a stupid idea to me, particularly when many of our 'Clever graduates' end up working in Mcdonalds and devoid of any common sense reasoning

You have to entice people to games and you don't do that by charging top dollar for what is a poor standard of football. You work a fair proportion average in relation to the higher tiers and work out a sensible structure.

One example is £32 for a Stoke match...two divisions above and only ten pounds less...how do you compete with that?

I don't need a lesson in economics or a degree in Maths to work out that people will pay an extra tenner to see a decent standard and opposition not to forget atmosphere...it's common sense. And I certainly don't need a lecture from you. BTW I have an education and i'm not in debt for having it.

And you don't need a taxpayer funded loan to work that out.

Archived