onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Pope suspension

Doha

1 hour ago, davehartshill said:

If Pope is anti-LGBT then he risks alienating a portion of our (potential) fan base and just makes himself look a bit of a simplistic bigot. 

No it doesn't. It just makes him appear to one of those who doesn't support the LGBT cause. He doesn't have to, this isn't N Korea, yet.

Advert

13 minutes ago, jimbo57 said:

No it doesn't. It just makes him appear to one of those who doesn't support the LGBT cause. He doesn't have to, this isn't N Korea, yet.

Eh? 

If he’s made comments against a certain group then he’s a bigot.

He can have whatever opinion he likes, that’s fine, I just don’t think he should project it onto social media when you’re supposed to be the club captain of a community based football club. 

When he was getting stick, I put  the poll here up, is Pope a legend? 97% yes. His response, "<ovf censored> off, don't care what you think". And this was supporting the bloke. There is banter and there is being an obnoxious a-hole. Pope has crossed the line. And I'm his #2 fan (after Old Sage).

17 minutes ago, toyahw said:

When he was getting stick, I put  the poll here up, is Pope a legend? 97% yes. His response, "<ovf censored> off, don't care what you think". And this was supporting the bloke. There is banter and there is being an obnoxious a-hole. Pope has crossed the line. And I'm his #2 fan (after Old Sage).

That's understandable...Old Sage is his dad and your'e his uncle

4 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Legge I would go for as club captain, the club has to come first. Social media is a boon, but also a disaster if not properly used.

Certainly Legge for me. Tom's antics may impress them in The Sneyd Arms but anyone who sees what he writes can immediately recognise that it is not what a professional Football Club captain should be writing. I'm sure there are loads who will still support him in anything he does but the sensible ones would ask the Question - "Is that the sort of thing you think Norman Smurfwaite would do or is it something Robbie Earle might do ?"     If you act like a child be prepared to be treated like one. 

2 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Does anyone actually know which of his tweets have caused the problem or is this all supposition?  I don't look at Twitter much so I have no idea.

I can’t  be certain but I think it may be to do with male and female bits in relation to transgender people.

6 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

I think it’s an opinion he should have kept to himself.It is difficult to see how the club will now deal with it.I’ve just asked my wife what would happen if she used that type of language at her place of work.Her reply “Sack”.

Tom, I believe uses different accounts for different things and I dont believe in this instance he was using a PVFC account but rather a personal one. That is my belief, as I am still unsure which daft mailing they have picked him up on. The key point here is that, whether he likes it or not ( I Know he does really) he is regarded as Mr Port Vale and as such , words attributed to him will reflect on the Vale in either a positive or negative way. What he has done would certainly lead to a response from any Human Resources at any reputable Company. In this instance the Sack would be inappropriate as I dont beileve he has been "charged" before though he has had warnings. In most reputable companies inappropriate activity leads to a verbal warning(s), followed by a written warning at the next occurrence. After the next occurance he would normally be brought before a disciplinary panel where he could account for his actions and appropriate action taken.  The external activity - ie the Ban , has been imposed by the EFL disciplinary board and I would now expect the club to impose its own sanction(s) according to the internal disciplinary code of conduct . Sack is the ultimate sanction but that may be one or two occurrences down the line depending on whether the warnings he has been given were, a) friendly, b) Formal, or c) written.     There is more water to flow under this bridge.    I'm sure Old Sage may have something to say and am very surprised he has not made a case for the defence already.

Apparently he was getting stick off some Crwho fans before the Crwho game and called their club a load of paedophiles (which they are but have buried their heads in the sand hoping it will go away)

They even enjoyed the visit of Dario to the Crwho Vale game and were backslapping him and shaking hands with him.(hope they washed their hands later)

Askey then threatened to drop him before the game but changed his mind because he knew the fans would be on his back.

Everything blown out of proportion about him abusing lgbt people.

Why don’t the Football League do something about tackling Crwho ,s failure to investigate kiddie fiddling by their ex employees instead of criticising Popey.

Absolute hypocrites.

We all know that football does not operate like the real world, so trying to equate it is pointless.

I have no clue what he said, I don’t follow him on twitter, as far as I’m concerned it’s dealt with now, but it seems some are offended and want him hung without knowing what he said either..... which is about right in this day and age. Judging from what people are saying It seems as though the dressing room “anything goes” humour spills over into toms social media posts. You can’t get away with that now. 

58 minutes ago, pensioner said:

Tom, I believe uses different accounts for different things and I dont believe in this instance he was using a PVFC account but rather a personal one. That is my belief, as I am still unsure which daft mailing they have picked him up on. The key point here is that, whether he likes it or not ( I Know he does really) he is regarded as Mr Port Vale and as such , words attributed to him will reflect on the Vale in either a positive or negative way. What he has done would certainly lead to a response from any Human Resources at any reputable Company. In this instance the Sack would be inappropriate as I dont beileve he has been "charged" before though he has had warnings. In most reputable companies inappropriate activity leads to a verbal warning(s), followed by a written warning at the next occurrence. After the next occurance he would normally be brought before a disciplinary panel where he could account for his actions and appropriate action taken.  The external activity - ie the Ban , has been imposed by the EFL disciplinary board and I would now expect the club to impose its own sanction(s) according to the internal disciplinary code of conduct . Sack is the ultimate sanction but that may be one or two occurrences down the line depending on whether the warnings he has been given were, a) friendly, b) Formal, or c) written.     There is more water to flow under this bridge.    I'm sure Old Sage may have something to say and am very surprised he has not made a case for the defence already.

I understand the disciplinary procedures but I suppose what the club classes as Gross Misconduct,pensioner?

Archived