onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Pope suspension

Doha

Going on Social Media and spouting cack is one thing. Doing it when you are actively representing your employer would get you sacked in a lot of companies.

As for Trans people it’s not as simple or as woke as you think Mr Danish. It can involve a lot of mental anguish for the people concerned. 

Advert

33 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

His tweets where absolutely nothing of the sort! I think his and my views, are much aligned actually. 

Gay and lesbian, absolutely 100% natural and nothing wrong with that, AT ALL! Transgender... Meh, it's becoming sort of out of hand isn't it? If you really truly ARE transgender, then by all means get the change! But all these people, identifying as aliens etc. (yes, that truly is an actual acknowledged thing!), THAT was what his tweet was about! And I 100% back him up on that fact!

The world is going PC mad, in trying to include everything and everyone into absolutely everything! And if you don't accept that, you are called the incarnation of Satan or worse! Things are not black and white (except the mighty Vale 😋). There are nuances to every major issue roaming the world like wildfire at the moment: the climate debate, this inclusion debate and the list goes on and on and on.

So just because his opinion was not PC enough for the EFL, his freedom of speech gets fined? 🤦‍♂️ Well, welcome to 2019, lets hope for a better 2020!

What a horrendous miss of the mark.

Pope hasn't been suspended because of his views on transgender people, and that isn't the debate here. You've seemingly lept at the chance to have another kick at people who undergo some very serious issues and undergo monumental suicide rates. Whether we agree or disagree with their choice/perspective, is it really necessary for you or Pope to take every opportunity to let people know how much you disagree? I genuinely don't care or want to know Pope's opinion.

I digress.

He's been banned because he regularly antagonises and uses explicit, personal language towards fans of a football club. I'd get sacked for saying the words out loud, under my breath, once at my job, let alone permanently posting them on a public forum knowing I have a substantial following. I'd damage the company I work for, as Pope is doing for his employers.

In my job, I'm basically not allowed an active Twitter account. If I acted like Pope did on one occasion (as opposed to the 100 times he's done it), I'd be sacked within 5 minutes with a full investigation pending.

Pope is highly, highly priviliged, and has a massive role in shaping people's perceptions of our club; he's the most recognisable player, a legend, and captain. He's been banned because he hasn't heeded repeated warning to act more professional by both the club and the FA. Its pure idiocy.

Don't use Pope's inability to restrain himself as an excuse to bash transgenderism or 'muh free speech'. He's been daft and rightly (and in my term, long overdue) been punished.

34 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

His tweets where absolutely nothing of the sort! I think his and my views, are much aligned actually. 

Gay and lesbian, absolutely 100% natural and nothing wrong with that, AT ALL! Transgender... Meh, it's becoming sort of out of hand isn't it? If you really truly ARE transgender, then by all means get the change! But all these people, identifying as aliens etc. (yes, that truly is an actual acknowledged thing!), THAT was what his tweet was about! And I 100% back him up on that fact!

The world is going PC mad, in trying to include everything and everyone into absolutely everything! And if you don't accept that, you are called the incarnation of Satan or worse! Things are not black and white (except the mighty Vale 😋). There are nuances to every major issue roaming the world like wildfire at the moment: the climate debate, this inclusion debate and the list goes on and on and on.

So just because his opinion was not PC enough for the EFL, his freedom of speech gets fined? 🤦‍♂️ Well, welcome to 2019, lets hope for a better 2020!

Using someone identifying as an alien to argue against trans people is like using the guy who married his car/horse/wherever, on Jerry springer to argue against marriage. 

Imagine our lovely Carol, going for a meeting with a potential sponsor. Lucrative stuff. Warchest for Askey in the Summer.

They're really impressed with the strides the club's made in the last few months and want to be a part of it. They like the ethical running and community engagement.

"Hang on Carol; isn't this your employee? The leader and most visible player on your team? Is he the one using social media to call fans b******* and c***** on a semi-regular basis? Is he the one attacking, unprovoked, LGBT people who may be a market for our product? Sorry, no can do."

This is basics people. Pope was warned. There's no defence.

24 minutes ago, whotobeakiller said:

I'm not a great Pope fan but if he put forward views on Trans people and dissaproved then he is entitled to do so....if we don't have free speech what do we have

Depends what you mean by free speech, some items are illegal,  representing a football club restricts what you can say, as it would representing lots of businesses.

36 minutes ago, whotobeakiller said:

I'm not a great Pope fan but if he put forward views on Trans people and dissaproved then he is entitled to do so....if we don't have free speech what do we have

Last time; I doubt he's been banned because of his transgender comments. His language/personal comments are cringe-inducing.

He had an official hearing at the FA earlier this year for the content of his tweets. This isn't a free speech issue. His behaviour on social media is not correct and he has been warned, and now punished.

8 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

Well, to quote Ricky Gervais: "You have every right to be offended! But just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right!".

And I guess the law is different in the UK, than here in Denmark then.

This isn't a free speech/offense issue.

If you or I tweeted in the manner Pope does, we would be asked to cease by our employers.

If we continued, we would be suspended, fined, and reprimanded.

That's all that's happened here. This isn't political.

It doesn’t appear that we know exactly what he has tweeted, if he is innocent then I’d expect an appeal.I’m very disappointed having allegedly been warned about his conduct previously, on social media. Now there is a one match ban, which affects the club.I’m not bothered what it’s cost him financially but do wonder if it’s contrary to any laws. If so will Staffs Police be launching an investigation.

Tom is a grown man going on twitter to air his archaic views on transgender people and tweeting about kids being abused at Crewe.

He knows the rules of the FA, I'd hazard a guess that he is well versed in this particular one how many times he's been pulled up. He's made his bed now he has to lie in it I guess.

Thank god we have two other strikers who have been finding the net, we'd have been screwed last year.

1 hour ago, whotobeakiller said:

There are plenty of jobs where you aren’t entitled to speak your mind publicly. 

Archived