onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Tom Pope suspension

Doha

I’m not surprised and it’s something that you’re immature  ppl do, can’t be age specific as some supposedly adults by age behave worse the children, who know no difference. He’ll be punished now but it’s out there forever, for ppl to refer to in the future. Extremely unprofessional and is both extremely unhelpful and  unnecessary, which affects everyone who is apart of the Vale family. 

Advert

8 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Does anyone know what it was he tweeted? 

There's so much I honestly can't put my finger on it.

To start with, his language is appalling. Now, he's a grown man and we all swear, but a fair number of Pope's tweets have some very poor language in it. As a club captain, you'd hope he'd articulate himself better, considering his profile picture has him in a Vale shirt and IMO reflects badly on the club to have the club captain use bad language when we're trying to engage younger fans and doing things 'the right way'.

Secondly, he engages with fan criticism, Stoke, Vale and neutral, far too frequently and in the wrong manner. He's perfectly entitled to respond to what is sometimes vastly unfair criticism and stick BUT he doesn't do it in the correct way. He just calls them an obscenity, makes a personal dig about their looks, and winds them up with further provocative comments. I love players giving some back to fans but in a more mature way.

Thirdly, he tweets some very strong viewpoints about his personal beliefs, which is completely fine, but often articulates it in quite an abrasive manner. Does he really need to let everyone know he doesn't like transgender people? 99.9% of other footballers manage to keep their personal beliefs to themselves. I'm not saying censor footballers, but at least hope they're considerate enough to realise aggressively espousing controversial views on sensitive topics is going to rile people up, and once again doesn't reflect well on the club.

Overall, he's been warned and warned and warned, but has acted very, very childishly; his old account was even banned by Twitter/FA to end this sort of nonsense. Since then, he's made a new account, got into the same trouble by the authorities (to the extent where he had to go to a hearing with the FA, and been warned by Vale), took a self-imposed exile from social media, and then come back and been even worse than before. Its like a dog you can't train.

Its quite frankly embarrassing that a club legend and captain has been banned from Twitter because he can't help himself, akin to being grounded by your parents for not getting off the Xbox. He'll always be a Vale legend but Christ he doesn't do himself any favours.

Serve the ban, pay the fine, delete social media (you can't help yourself) and move on, Tom. Sick of it at this point.

Leon Legge is an excellent example of social media done right; nice little messages, pleasant interactions with fans, some stuff to promote his epileptic charity work. A bloke who understands social media's role in building a relationship with fans.

As said; Pope is a Vale legend, and will always be welcome, but his conduct isn't befitting of a captain. Just because he's local and a good striker should not make him automatic choice for captain, whereas players like Legge and Joyce are probably more suitable for the role in terms of character and conduct.

He probably had a reasonable chance for playing time tomorrow with Bennett's lean spell; considering Askey's hard line on behaviour and discipline, it'll be interesting to see how this is dealt with moving forward.

1 hour ago, philmpv said:

Absolute idiot. He's old enough and ugly enough to know better. I've never understood the apparent need to share your every waking thought on social media. Deserves everything he gets. Thank God he's not the mainstay of our team anymore

Oh the irony...........

1 hour ago, robf said:

I agree 100%. He's done a huge amount on the pitch over the years but it's not surprising he's got this ban considering some of his tweets. Now this stupid behaviour that potentially damages the team's chances against Scunthorpe. 

Considering so many posts of yours actually make common ground sense Rob I have to say that has to be one of the most inaccurate posts you have made football wise albeit your own forum. With Bennett, Archer, Amoo Burgess and Cullen in the ranks I dare say this actually does some favour

Bit of a double standard on here, isn't there?

On one hand, everyone is going off about how much they love his banter, his this and that on twitter. But now that the EFL has punished him, everyone is up on their high horse.

If it really is for him tweeting about trans people, I absolutely stand by him on his tweet and his views!

1 minute ago, davehartshill said:

If Pope is anti-LGBT then he risks alienating a portion of our (potential) fan base and just makes himself look a bit of a simplistic bigot. 

If thats why he's been banned and fined then he deserves it. 

His tweets where absolutely nothing of the sort! I think his and my views, are much aligned actually. 

Gay and lesbian, absolutely 100% natural and nothing wrong with that, AT ALL! Transgender... Meh, it's becoming sort of out of hand isn't it? If you really truly ARE transgender, then by all means get the change! But all these people, identifying as aliens etc. (yes, that truly is an actual acknowledged thing!), THAT was what his tweet was about! And I 100% back him up on that fact!

The world is going PC mad, in trying to include everything and everyone into absolutely everything! And if you don't accept that, you are called the incarnation of Satan or worse! Things are not black and white (except the mighty Vale 😋). There are nuances to every major issue roaming the world like wildfire at the moment: the climate debate, this inclusion debate and the list goes on and on and on.

So just because his opinion was not PC enough for the EFL, his freedom of speech gets fined? 🤦‍♂️ Well, welcome to 2019, lets hope for a better 2020!

Just now, Danish Valiant said:

His tweets where absolutely nothing of the sort! I think his and my views, are much aligned actually. Both on this issue, as well as religion.

Gay and lesbian, absolutely 100% natural and nothing wrong with that, AT ALL! Transgender... Meh, it's becoming sort of out of hand isn't it? If you really truly ARE transgender, then by all means get the change! But all these people, identifying as aliens etc. (yes, that truly is an actual acknowledged thing!), THAT was what his tweet was about! And I 100% back him up on that fact!

The world is going PC mad, in trying to include everything and everyone into absolutely everything! And if you don't accept that, you are called the incarnation of Satan or worse! Things are not black and white (except the mighty Vale 😋). There are nuances to every major issue roaming the world like wildfire at the moment: the climate debate, this inclusion debate and the list goes on and on and on.

So just because his opinion was not PC enough for the EFL, his freedom of speech gets fined? 🤦‍♂️ Well, welcome to 2019, lets hope for a better 2020!

29 minutes ago, Danish Valiant said:

Bit of a double standard on here, isn't there?

On one hand, everyone is going off about how much they love his banter, his this and that on twitter. But now that the EFL has punished him, everyone is up on their high horse.

If it really is for him tweeting about trans people, I absolutely stand by him on his tweet and his views!

Everyone wasn't going on about how they love his banter, just a small group of fans.Its also just a small group of fans that are criticising him now.

Archived