onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

J Askey Again

Iron Curtain

Advert

Not sure who it was, but three or four weeks ago,  someone put on here one of the usual negative posts that we were only two points better off than last year, with the likes of Bradford and Crewe to come, indicating that after these games, it will show that we have not progressed under JA and that we were on course to finish in our customary 20th place. Can't help  but think that these  types disapproved of JA's appointment,  predicted his imminent demise and it turns their stomach being proved wrong by his current success.  Keep on rockin, JA. UTV. 

I find myself in a weird position on this. Aspin's recruitment was good. He kept us up. Arthur is doing a good job. Respect to both for me. Aspo was working under he who shall not be named. But all good at the moment.
 And Askey is doing a good job. And we have at last a club we can enjoy again.
On Saturday of the 14 players used, 6 were Askey signings and only 3 Aspins (Brown, Joyce and Legge). It could be argued we have a new signing in Worrall too. Askey is clearly a far better man manager than Aspin and tactically superior. There will come a time when it goes pear shaped and let's hope he doesn't panic into wholesale changes like Aspin.

He is doing a very good job and my main worry is we all get a little too excited and our we over heat our expectations

34 minutes ago, Howjy04 said:

8/10.More to come.

I think that’s a cracking answer Howj... as Macc fans say, give Askey time not money.

There will be some ups and downs but as long as the long term trend of the club is that if improvement JA needs to be given all the support he deserves!  

12 hours ago, Old fort said:

Not sure who it was, but three or four weeks ago,  someone put on here one of the usual negative posts that we were only two points better off than last year, with the likes of Bradford and Crewe to come, indicating that after these games, it will show that we have not progressed under JA and that we were on course to finish in our customary 20th place. Can't help  but think that these  types disapproved of JA's appointment,  predicted his imminent demise and it turns their stomach being proved wrong by his current success.  Keep on rockin, JA. UTV. 

We now have 28 points after 18 games compared to 25 points after 20 games last season, 23rd November (As far back as the BBC site goes!) Steady improvement I think. 🙂

6 minutes ago, Rampant Zebra said:

We now have 28 points after 18 games compared to 25 points after 20 games last season, 23rd November (As far back as the BBC site goes!) Steady improvement I think. 🙂

Use this if you ever need, you can find the state of any league table at any previous date:

https://www.11v11.com/league-tables/

Last season P18/W6/D4/L8/-5GD, Points 22/16th.

This season P18/W7/D7/L4/+1GD, Points 28/8th.

3 hours ago, Rampant Zebra said:

Thanks! So six points and six goals better off than this time last season. 

Shame really, as we've also dropped a whopping 16 points from winning positions already:

2 against Colchester (late on 1st half)
2 against Northampton (late on 1st half)
2 against Salford (late on 2nd half)
2 against Orient (late on 2nd half)
2 against Stevenage
3 against Grimsby
3 against Macc

Yes I am pretty bored before anyone asks. I guess there's no point really thinking about it now, but cut out 2 or 3 mistakes late on & we're top of the league. Not a bad job by JA at all given you'd expect at least some wobbles after the last few years.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

Shame really, as we've also dropped a whopping 16 points from winning positions already:

2 against Colchester (late on 1st half)
2 against Northampton (late on 1st half)
2 against Salford (late on 2nd half)
2 against Orient (late on 2nd half)
2 against Stevenage
3 against Grimsby
3 against Macc

Yes I am pretty bored before anyone asks. I guess there's no point really thinking about it now, but cut out 2 or 3 mistakes late on & we're top of the league. Not a bad job by JA at all given you'd expect at least some wobbles after the last few years.

I go on last gasp ones myself.

Lost 4 points at Salford and Orient.

Gained 3 against Mansfield and Bradford. 

Though we have 2 late winners against Cambridge and Carlisle. I think every team has similar tales of what ifs. 

34 minutes ago, darren1810 said:

I go on last gasp ones myself.

Lost 4 points at Salford and Orient.

Gained 3 against Mansfield and Bradford. 

Though we have 2 late winners against Cambridge and Carlisle. I think every team has similar tales of what ifs. 

Yeah there is that, but it just shows the fine margins of what could have been though, even at this stage.

At least we have the entertainment value if not the points in every game, having only failed to score 3 times in 23 games so far. We failed to score in 22 fixtures last season, somehow I don't think we're going to reach that this time around.

10 hours ago, Inny said:

On Saturday of the 14 players used, 6 were Askey signings and only 3 Aspins (Brown, Joyce and Legge). It could be argued we have a new signing in Worrall too. Askey is clearly a far better man manager than Aspin and tactically superior. There will come a time when it goes pear shaped and let's hope he doesn't panic into wholesale changes like Aspin.

He is doing a very good job and my main worry is we all get a little too excited and our we over heat our expectations

Yes, this superior squad building torch that people believe Aspin holds over Askey is strange. Overall the first team is reasonably similar (Although we must remember that Aspo didn't like using Worrall or Gibbo unless he had to - Worrall in particular had been completely frozen out which looks foolish). In the first eleven last year, we had some quality and nothing behind it really that was in favour. Askey complemented what we had with Amoo and Bennett in the summer to start. The others he signed have mainly been good when called upon. Burgess and Taylor stepping in has been excellent.

Askey came with a reputation of slow, but steady progress in difficult conditions at Macclesfield, often overachieving what was expected or reasonably possible. So far he's doing that and I'm very pleased. He's got a system he likes using and will get stronger as he gets more time with the current players and gets to add more quality. Next season I believe we will be even stronger, but nothing wrong with a 'build the buzz' season this time around.

It is not Askey vs Aspo for me. Aspo came in under difficult circumstances. Kept us up. Askey is doing a good job. Aspo did a good job under the circs. Askey is doing a good job too. All credit to Askey. But I can't be doing with slagging off Aspo. He kept us up. It was time to go for sure. Which he did in a dignified way. So thanks Neil.

I agree. Their is evolution, which can be tracked through the two managers tenures.

Prior to that it was carnage, so no surprise it's taking time.

Askey is wisely building on the strengths he inherited and putting his own stamp on things.

Obviously new ownership has given everything a boost, although some new owners would have had a clear out and started from scratch. I suspect some on here would have preferred that.

I've always argued for stability and steady progress and will continue to do so.

I'm very pleased with the progress, especially in the depth of the squad.

I was thinking about our squad last night and it has to be said that our manager has done a tremendous job so far to assemble the squad of players he has with the budget available to him. Without injuries and suspensions our first 11 is fantastic for this level, and we also have the strongest subs bench we've had for a very long time.

Being a League Two side with lower league players we will lose the odd game we probably should be winning and players won't always perform how you would hope this week, while the big man himself, Askey, won't always get it right with his starting 11, tactics and substitutions. But so far nobody can deny that he hasn't done a superb job, not only with his recruitment in the main but also for the team spirit we clearly have now that we never had under the likes of Aspin and Ribeiro before him. 

Brown

Gibbons

Smith

Legge

Montano

Joyce

Oyeleke

Taylor

Worrall

Amoo

Cullen 

Subs: