onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

J Askey Again

Iron Curtain

Advert

59 minutes ago, Diko1876 said:

All fur coat no boxer shorts...

How do you know Carol's underwear arrangements*? Took some balls to buy whatsit out and save the club.

Just hope Spuds haven't been tapping him up.

*If it is he who shall not be named, he would have tried...

5 hours ago, Diko1876 said:

As key is a great manager. Not so sure about the SHANAHANS..... bit sickly for me..... All fur coat no boxer shorts...

Congratulations - you've just made it to the Top of the "Ernie Sound Alike" chart.  You can now be awarded your Very Own Coat of Arms .  Its a Golden Anchor surmounted by a Capital W

20 hours ago, Guitar Ray said:

Many of the first 11 weren’t signed by Askey. It must be said that Aspo recruited good players, but Askey has added to these and, most importantly, released some alleged “less professional” players. He’s bought a unity to the squad and a style of play that Aspo could only dream of.

Not many of that 11 were signed by aspin either though. Aspins recruitment was not great. Only 4 are aspin signings with 3 Askey and 4 already here. You could even argue that it’s 5 for Askey as he plays Worral and gibbo where aspin didn’t. Then the bench is pretty much Askey. 

I like him! My kind of manager, for sure!
There’s nothing worse, than those loud, self-promoting managers, who sounds like they’ve been in the dressingroom the whole game, and just make stuff up for their interview. The Oldham manager and Kewell last season, springs to mind.
Askey just puts in the work, and lets the team performance speak for him. No fanfares or ott outbursts, just well thought through comments, that are always a fair assessment of the game. 
I like him, and long may he be here!
I think this hits the nail on the head for me. He seems like such a humble down to earth bloke, who has turned us around in half a season.

Some of this praise must go to the Shanahans, the majority of the lads that have got us here are the same that have been mistreated for the last few years under the previous regime. I can't help but think that having a boss who genuinely cares and goes out of there way has helped to inspire the lads so far.

20 hours ago, Diko1876 said:

As key is a great manager. Not so sure about the SHANAHANS..... bit sickly for me..... All fur coat no boxer shorts...

Ah well... never mind eh.

You can never get 100% of people to like you.

Can’t imagine they will lose any sleep given they are loved and respected by all but the pimple on the arse of the minority.

What we're now seeing under JA is the culmination of three managers work (Brown/Apso/JA) in rebuilding the playing fabric of PVFC after it's destruction by Bruno/Smurthwaite in 2016.

Michael Brown re-signed Tom Pope arguably the club's most influential player since Bruno, David Worrall and Monty as well as Antony Kay who played a valuable role while he was at Vale.

Aspo and JA have also signed good players and at the moment I have the sense that JA has that something special/different about his managerial skills/style, only time will tell.

What Bruno/Smurthwaite did to PVFC in the summer of 2016 doesn't bear thinking about,  the sheer pig headedness and absolute stupidity of their actions were unfathomable, Vale really dodged one there and it's a relief Vale fans are having conversations like this on OVF in 2019.

At the time Aspin tried to freeze players out I said it was a high risk strategy. I'm not sure it saved much money, as I'm sure we had to fund pay outs and I'm sure it created unrest in the squad. Aspin's best signings were good, his second tier signings didn't work. When he got his best 11 out we were a solid mid table outfit team last year. Looking at Theo Vassell's form for Macclesfield this season why he didn't try 3 at the back (the formation he openly favoured) remains a bit of a mystery. With hindsight Askey dropped a bit of a changer letting him go to bring in Kennedy unless there were issues behind the scenes. The Miller gamble probably cost Aspin his job as he was the player he wanted and would have taken a big chunk of the budget. I suspect the Pope/ Miller wages were on a par with the best in the league.

Askey has recruited pretty well in terms of depth and value for money. He's got a stronger squad with a lower budget, although the Atkinson signing may well mean the budgets are now comparable. The big difference is we haven't really missed any player when they've been injured (be interesting to see what happens if Worrall is out). He's also got the timing of the introduction of younger players right; maybe by luck, maybe skill. Part of the skill of managing is working out what is good and changing what needs to change. McCombe, Pope, Taylor, Yates, Dodds, Morsy were all signed by different managers to Adams yet played a big part in Adams's promotion team.

On 19/11/2019 at 19:31, Diko1876 said:

95% sure I know who this is.

Drop us a DM mate. Been a while.

If this is who I think it is, you need help. Geninely feel pity.

15 hours ago, dantheman said:

Not many of that 11 were signed by aspin either though. Aspins recruitment was not great. Only 4 are aspin signings with 3 Askey and 4 already here. You could even argue that it’s 5 for Askey as he plays Worral and gibbo where aspin didn’t. Then the bench is pretty much Askey. 

Are you for real?  4 is a third of the team.  I’d also suggest Manny & Conlon would regularly be either in the team or on the bench, and will be once fit.  So potentially we could have half a team which has been signed by Aspo, this despite Askey signing something like 14 players in pre-season. 

This isn’t the point though, Aspins team selection and style of play was frustrating to say the least.  Askey has turned things around in a manner few would have predicted.  Off the field he’s had the benefit of the change of ownership but still deserves full credit for the tangible changes on the field.

Archived