onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

J Askey Again

Iron Curtain

Advert

7 hours ago, toyahw said:

I find myself in a weird position on this. Aspin's recruitment was good. He kept us up. Arthur is doing a good job. Respect to both for me. Aspo was working under he who shall not be named. But all good at the moment.

And Askey is doing a good job. And we have at last a club we can enjoy again.

Personally don't think Neil Aspin kept us up last season.  In fact in my head he'd taken us down in February before we turned results around.

JA has kept a good few of the players but he's changed the team and style drastically.  We've got a real energy in midfield which is something i cant remember us for a long time now.  Front thee is balanced and there's a selection headache up top.

33 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

Legge tweeted last night that the “character within this squad is frightening” which is amazing to see. 

last year conceding in the first min would have been game over... yesterday I Always thought we could turn it around!

UTV!

Keep in mind Legge is vastly experienced, has played in a lot of successful sides, and will know exactly what 'character' is needed.

Slightly baffled by the labelling of this as a 'purple patch', with some very interesting caveats put in to this current run. Despite us 'digging deep' and the like, Bradford were still top when we played them, Crewe were top and are now 4th. Very strange excuses.

We've lost 1 in 12 and that was against Macc; only one team has lost less games than us this year; we've beaten 3 of the top 4; we haven't lost a single game at home; we've actually progressed in cup competitions.

Casually dismissing this as a purple patch and making excuses as to why we've beaten good teams is very disingenuous to the work Askey has done.

7 hours ago, toyahw said:

I find myself in a weird position on this. Aspin's recruitment was good. He kept us up. Arthur is doing a good job. Respect to both for me. Aspo was working under he who shall not be named. But all good at the moment.

And Askey is doing a good job. And we have at last a club we can enjoy again.

I liked Aspin's recruitment. For whatever reason he was never able to get the best out of the players he signed.

Askey has built on Aspin's recruitment by improving the squad as a whole and it's onwards and upwards for me.

32 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Keep in mind Legge is vastly experienced, has played in a lot of successful sides, and will know exactly what 'character' is needed.

Slightly baffled by the labelling of this as a 'purple patch', with some very interesting caveats put in to this current run. Despite us 'digging deep' and the like, Bradford were still top when we played them, Crewe were top and are now 4th. Very strange excuses.

We've lost 1 in 12 and that was against Macc; only one team has lost less games than us this year; we've beaten 3 of the top 4; we haven't lost a single game at home; we've actually progressed in cup competitions.

Casually dismissing this as a purple patch and making excuses as to why we've beaten good teams is very disingenuous to the work Askey has done.

I think Mansfield would argue the toss that we haven't lost at home but other than that i think you're spot on there bud.

24 minutes ago, sunny boslem said:

Askey will end up a legend at the club 

Take us as far as his father did in the Cup would definitely put him in the running, the legend bar for a manager at the Vale is quite high, I would be delighted if he makes it. Early days though.

Personally I think Askey is doing a great job. To compare him to Aspin though is a little unfair as Aspin was effectively working under the worst owner our football club has ever had.

I think Aspin would have done better under C&K but not as well as Askey is.

Our flirting with relegation wasn’t due to our manager. It was all to do with our previous owner.

2 minutes ago, eh up nah said:

I'll correct myself there

I had it firmly in my head that we'd lost that one!!!

Very nearly did, and have had a few close shaves, but we're still the only League 2 side unbeaten at home.

Our performance levels are largely pretty consistent regardless of the personnel on the pitch, which is a good sign that the players are all on the same page in terms of tactics and are well drilled.

To have Scott Burgess seamlessly slot into the side, and for the team to then go on an excellent run, is testament to Askey and his staff's ability to improve players.

The goal now is to be as close to the Top 7 as we can come January, and hopefully boost the club's coffers with some more cup progression and some decent home gates over the festive period. If we can somehow cobble a bionic hamstring together for Manny, and have 50-100k to spend on a top loan signing/free transfer, then there's no reason we can't have a good go. This league has no outstanding teams and is as close as I've seen in a while.

JA has stopped us from losing many games. We hardly ever lose now. We're on a cracking run of form. Like he always says post match, try not to get too carried away when we win and try not to get too despondent when we lose. 

We're doing a fair bit better than most of us expected to be doing at this point. Enjoy it, support the lads and hopefully it will continue. 

E I E I E I O! 

@Iron Curtain

Askey is doing a very good job and is meeting MY expectations. I maintain that we have a squad that SHOULD be pushing for the play-offs in what is a very even league.

He gets a lot of credit for assembling the squad. Yes, you might say he inherited a lot of the players but he is certainly moulding them into an effective unit and increased our attacking options on what I understand is a reduced budget. 

We are also playing quite more entertaining football although that’s not difficult given some of the dross of the last 3 years.

Yesterday was weird because it was obvious it wasn’t working up top and he should have changed it at half time, instead wasting 10 mins of the 2nd half for a change we all knew was coming. Equally I didn’t see him taking off a midfielder for a striker as we were under the cosh at the time but the gamble ultimately paid off.

31 minutes ago, Biddulph_PV said:

@Iron Curtain

Yesterday was weird because it was obvious it wasn’t working up top and he should have changed it at half time, instead wasting 10 mins of the 2nd half for a change we all knew was coming. Equally I didn’t see him taking off a midfielder for a striker as we were under the cosh at the time but the gamble ultimately paid off.

None of us know if a change at half time would have worked better.  I am one of many on here who felt we played better first half than second, but didn’t take our chances. To me entirely logical to make no changes and see if we picked up where we left off.

Bennett seems to be becoming the new whipping boy for being selected in a team that keeps winning games!  He gives energy, is getting chances, suits the 433 system and sooner or later the goals will go in as they were a few weeks ago.

Fact is the changes Askey made did work.  Gamble/tactical change call what you want, but the reality is it worked.

For the last few years the moan has been ‘doesn’t know his best 11 / we have no system’.  Now we have a manager who has both of these clear in his mind, is winning games, and yet is criticised for that!  He has however Improved the squad so we have different options off the bench / plan B and C as required

Archived