onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Kieran Kennedy

Walka003

I think Rawlinson is at Notts County isn't he?
In terms of the Kennedy move I think it shows Askey's feelings about the Jan window. He said  (https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2019/11/dont-want-too-big-a-squad-port-vale-manager-explains-january-transfer-window-tactics/ ) that players would need to move out on loan to create space for others and lo and behold...
I wonder if this means a move for a dedicated left-back? After all, Crookes can play LB or CB so even after Kennedy's departure we'll still have four players Smith, Legge, Brisley and Crookes who can play in the centre but if Crookes is moved to the centre then there's a vacancy for a LB.
I wish Kennedy all the best - hope he gets some regular football there.
I think with it being such a sort term deal that it could be with a view to a permanent deal in January. I think he was at Wrexham when we picked him up.

Advert

3 minutes ago, Walka003 said:
12 hours ago, robf said:
I think Rawlinson is at Notts County isn't he?
In terms of the Kennedy move I think it shows Askey's feelings about the Jan window. He said  (https://www.onevalefan.co.uk/2019/11/dont-want-too-big-a-squad-port-vale-manager-explains-january-transfer-window-tactics/ ) that players would need to move out on loan to create space for others and lo and behold...
I wonder if this means a move for a dedicated left-back? After all, Crookes can play LB or CB so even after Kennedy's departure we'll still have four players Smith, Legge, Brisley and Crookes who can play in the centre but if Crookes is moved to the centre then there's a vacancy for a LB.
I wish Kennedy all the best - hope he gets some regular football there.

I think with it being such a sort term deal that it could be with a view to a permanent deal in January. I think he was at Wrexham when we picked him up.

He was on loan at Wrexham for the second half of last season, and turned down a contract offer in the summer from them to sign for Vale. So yeah, reckon you're right and he'll (finally) sign permanently with them in January.

Ahhhh  JJ Hooper and Rob Lainton ! - that explains why they are where they are.   If you get the Goalkeeper AND the centre forward wrong then you will drop like a stone. 
Just had a look and they also have Mark Harris who was on loan with us last year.

It does explain a lot!

Good to see Askey being ruthless and willing to make the decisions needed.

No one can name a manager that gets every single signing right, and a good manager adapts and tweeks things quickly if they haven’t worked out.

In Kennedy’s case, the arrival of Brisley has clearly pushed him down the pecking order.

JA mentioned he would like to create some space before bringing anyone else in and that looks to be happening.

4 hours ago, pensioner said:

Ahhhh  JJ Hooper and Rob Lainton ! - that explains why they are where they are.   If you get the Goalkeeper AND the centre forward wrong then you will drop like a stone. 

Lainton was Wrexham's player of the year when they finished fourth last season

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

Good to see Askey being ruthless and willing to make the decisions needed.

No one can name a manager that gets every single signing right, and a good manager adapts and tweeks things quickly if they haven’t worked out.

In Kennedy’s case, the arrival of Brisley has clearly pushed him down the pecking order.

JA mentioned he would like to create some space before bringing anyone else in and that looks to be happening.

Could well be 2 plus 2 equals 4. There's some logic to getting your 4th choice game time when there isn't an immediate opening, provided it's possible to recall. I don't see us signing another centre half this window as we have 3 pretty good ones. Someone isnt going to come in to be behind Brisley, Smith and Legge and an upgrade would be very expensive. It's a position where teams like to have 4 in the squad. I'd have thought either a left winger or left back (depending what he thinks is Montano's position) and someone to replace Taylor if he doesn't stay will be the only likely additions. Other than that I'd think it would only be a Christmas tree signing where a gift falls into his lap, player desperate to move local or a really hot loan player. You end up paying over the odds in January and there isn't really an obvious deficiency in the squad.

I tend to agree.

Perhaps a left sided defender, especially if Crookes is out for a while, and I'm still of the opinion that a really good midfielder would also strengthen the team, but it's shaping up to be a lot better than I imagined last July.

It's fair on players who are not playing regularly to let them out on loan. As I've remarked previously, in years gone by we used to play our reserves once or twice a week, in the Cheshire or Midland leagues and all reserve players would play as many games as first teamers and be fully fit when called on. Maybe that's too expensive, too many games and too risky in 2019 but it can't do any player any good sitting in the stands and only getting a kick about in front of 200 people and a dog every three weeks.

I hope Kennedy does well.

Archived