onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What would you do with Burslem?

mr.hobblesworth

Even the slummier bits have a certain charm in that nothing seems to have been updated for about a century. If you look at places like Ancoats in Manchester (and to a lesser extent Levenshulme) or even somewhere like Halifax or Hebden Bridge in West Yorkshire, they've all done well by keeping the grungier aspects but making them habitable and even desirable. Burslem has bags of character; I can imagine a decent antiques centre/ reclamation type of thing doing really well. Emile was right about attracting the artier types although not sure what the locals would make of it all.

Advert

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Wedgwood_institute.JPG

I remember in the late 80's walking down Queen Street around Christmas time when there was the bustling market with various retail shops long the way...including a toy shop you may recall...don't know if anyone on this site can recall how busy Queen Street was and other shops that have since closed?

Burslem needs to be a destination town,the council need to offer massive rate reductions, in other words huge incentives for food based premises,turn it into a go to place for a curry,Turkish,Chinese etc.

It would need to be cleaned up, the premises that are boarded up need to have local street artists to come and show case their craft,I agree about attracting the artier types, Burslem has so much to offer,someof the architecture is stunning,something the rest of Stoke on Trent doesn't have.

I was actually surprised when I read the article. It was more nuanced than I expected given that Unherd is very right wing and was founded by the awful Tim Montgomerie (from The Times and the Legatum think tank).

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/legatum-who-are-brexiteers-favourite-think-tank-and-who-is-behind-them/

I sometimes think that what is happening is similar to what Geoffrey Howe envisaged when he talked about putting cities like Liverpool into 'managed decline' during the 80s.

Are there any quick fixes? Probably not. The Potteries is a city that was geared towards manufacturing industries that now no longer exist, and don't look like they are coming back any time soon. It's a chicken and egg situation regarding skills, educational attainment  and employers who would be willing to locate in the area.

20 minutes ago, Santa said:

I was actually surprised when I read the article. It was more nuanced than I expected given that Unherd is very right wing and was founded by the awful Tim Montgomerie (from The Times and the Legatum think tank).

https://www.opendemocracy.net/en/dark-money-investigations/legatum-who-are-brexiteers-favourite-think-tank-and-who-is-behind-them/

I sometimes think that what is happening is similar to what Geoffrey Howe envisaged when he talked about putting cities like Liverpool into 'managed decline' during the 80s.

Are there any quick fixes? Probably not. The Potteries is a city that was geared towards manufacturing industries that now no longer exist, and don't look like they are coming back any time soon. It's a chicken and egg situation regarding skills, educational attainment  and employers who would be willing to locate in the area.

Was it not the EU funding in Liverpool that pulled it up by the boot straps ?  For SOT small firms growing larger over time maybe the only answer, commuting opportunities in Manchester, I don't know I haven't lived there for a long time..

36 minutes ago, Fosse69 said:

Was it not the EU funding in Liverpool that pulled it up by the boot straps ?  For SOT small firms growing larger over time maybe the only answer, commuting opportunities in Manchester, I don't know I haven't lived there for a long time..

I thought it was the City of Culture programme that kick started Liverpool and pulled it up by it's boot straps.

19 minutes ago, whotobeakiller said:

Do you want to count the number of Chinese, turkish, Indian, Balti etc takeaways we already have in the whole of Stoke on Trent? No more

The 200yds of food establishments in Rusholme has now turned into a whole mile,commonly known as the Curry Mile,and it brings people in from all over the North West.

Archived