onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Port Vale

Fosse69

Maintain Momentum on the road, so building  a firm attempt to finish as high as possible. Will Worrall have enough time to shake off his injury? It would be a shame to change a winning team, although we have a stronger bench/squad than previously. Give super sub Cullen a start? If it is not broke don’t fix it, he will have his chance in the future. Essential to keep the team motivated, Askey`s job is to keep them all happy especially the ones that do not start. Our form will not go unnoticed, so games could become tighter, but I expect us to maintain progress with a 2-0 win

Advert

These have picked up after a woeful start, so as always will be a battle to get the three points. Novak is always a player I've fancied at Vale.

However, with the way we've been playing, anything less than a draw would be a disappointment. The Bennett/Pope/Cullen conundrum has no obvious solution; for all his recent profligacy, Bennett is excellent at pressing and harrying which is crucial to Askey's system, especially away from home. Pope has shown, against Crewe, that on his day he is the best target man in League 2. Cullen scores every time he is given a game. All bring something different, and despite 442 winning us the game yesterday, it was late on in an end to end home game. The only other times we've tried 442 away have been Grimbsy and Macc, and look how they turned out.

I'd still, and my Dad would vehemently disagree, start Bennett; he is getting good chances and leads the press. Goals will come. Cullen on if we're not taking chances. I really, really like Cullen, and think he'll fly past double figures this year BUT he doesn't seem to bring much else apart from being a hard working poacher (which is great to have in the squad). As a lone striker, you need someone with a bit of pace, a bit of height, and who will run the channels and press the centre halves, which Bennett is the best at doing.

For the stats nerds, Bennett had by far the highest xG of any player yesterday. He keeps getting himself into good positions and is getting unlucky. By simple laws of averages and regression to the mean, a goal will come.

Obviously Atkinson and Conlon might be available but you can't drop Burgess or Taylor. Genuinely lovely to have options with players we trust to come in and do well. Back 4 picks itself as per, but Brisley seems more than capabale and Evans came in at fullback at Crewe and Dons and didn't look out of place.

Yesterday was the start of a run against 4 teams in the bottom 8, sandwiching the cup games. 8/9 points from those 4, and progression in one of the cups, would be a very decent run up to Christmas. Anything more, I'll be ecstatic.

I reckon the Pope, Bennett, Cullen debate will run all season.
At the moment, it's working well.
The danger is that all three will be frustrated because their roles are limited.
B employed as a front runner, P with a hold up/ occupy the centre halves role and C as the poacher.
From a team perspective, it works well and puts me in mind of international rugby union, where they have a starting team and a finishing team.
I think it could be one of Askey's greatest tests.
For me, I would keep it as it is while it's working.

Strange coincidences, 50 years ago  on the  22nd  November 1969, Vale travelled to Scunthorpe unbeaten in the Fourth Division after 18 games. There it ended in a 2-1 defeat with a freak own goal by Roy Sproson.. Keegan played for Scunny, and  Gordon Lee was our manager and they both ended up at Newcastle in the top tier,  who we played last week but not their top tier team.  A slight hope for lightening not striking twice is Scunny have moved grounds. We scraped promotion that year, good omens?

2 hours ago, Joe B said:

These have picked up after a woeful start, so as always will be a battle to get the three points. Novak is always a player I've fancied at Vale.

However, with the way we've been playing, anything less than a draw would be a disappointment. The Bennett/Pope/Cullen conundrum has no obvious solution; for all his recent profligacy, Bennett is excellent at pressing and harrying which is crucial to Askey's system, especially away from home. Pope has shown, against Crewe, that on his day he is the best target man in League 2. Cullen scores every time he is given a game. All bring something different, and despite 442 winning us the game yesterday, it was late on in an end to end home game. The only other times we've tried 442 away have been Grimbsy and Macc, and look how they turned out.

I'd still, and my Dad would vehemently disagree, start Bennett; he is getting good chances and leads the press. Goals will come. Cullen on if we're not taking chances. I really, really like Cullen, and think he'll fly past double figures this year BUT he doesn't seem to bring much else apart from being a hard working poacher (which is great to have in the squad). As a lone striker, you need someone with a bit of pace, a bit of height, and who will run the channels and press the centre halves, which Bennett is the best at doing.

For the stats nerds, Bennett had by far the highest xG of any player yesterday. He keeps getting himself into good positions and is getting unlucky. By simple laws of averages and regression to the mean, a goal will come.

Obviously Atkinson and Conlon might be available but you can't drop Burgess or Taylor. Genuinely lovely to have options with players we trust to come in and do well. Back 4 picks itself as per, but Brisley seems more than capabale and Evans came in at fullback at Crewe and Dons and didn't look out of place.

Yesterday was the start of a run against 4 teams in the bottom 8, sandwiching the cup games. 8/9 points from those 4, and progression in one of the cups, would be a very decent run up to Christmas. Anything more, I'll be ecstatic.

Great post... Scunny are one of the form teams in our league (along with ourselves) and are very very good at home.

I would be very happy with a draw.

I can imagine some of our more ‘interesting’ forum members rubbing their hands together at the chance to have a dig if things don’t go well.... Forget the form... they are a team In the bottom 6 they will cry!

Fingers crossed they get silenced once again!

3 minutes ago, Shropshire_Valiant said:

Anyone know the craic with tickets, whether you can pay on the day? Thinking of going, I've seen the prices online but unlikely to be able to get to VP beforehand.

How many are we likely to take 750 odd? 

I reckon 500-600ish. I imagine you'll be able to buy a ticket on the day, though I'm not 100%

43 minutes ago, Valiant62 said:

I think the only change I’d consider from the starting 11 would be Cullen for Worrall if we can keep the shape. It’s a long season and resting that hip might maximise Worrall’s availability at peak fitness.

Agreed, there are factors in team selection that we do not have access to like fitness, sickness, stamina, etc, luckily it appears that personal disputes are no longer a factor if teamwork on the field is anything to go by. Momentum and confidence in a system allow changes to be made when forced upon us.

In view of Scunny's recent form, particularly at home, I think most of us would not say no to a draw. However we are building a decent "together squad" so I'm looking for a narrow win for us. Might be squeaky bum time last minutes or so to hold on but here's hoping. Be nice if we could take 700 plus there to roar the lads on.

Archived