onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Port Vale

Fosse69

9 minutes ago, Bald Eagle said:

Interesting the views on Montano on here, where their Manager viewed stopping his threat as the key battle of the match.

Yes, Montano is a Jeckyll and Hyde character. There are times he looks very dangerous going forward and then he can look ridiculous when passing the ball or getting himself into knots. Yesterday he almost scored a fantastic curling right foot shot in the 1st half but after that got done regularly by their winger.

2nd half Vale were dire. No passion, flow or drive at all. Can't take it away from Scunny though, they were by far the better team and frankly I came away from the game relieved we hadn't conceded 4 or 5.

Vale, when they have on off day seem to have 7 or 8 players who don't perform all at once. That was the case yesterday. It consolidated my thoughts that this season we are OK, but by no means promotion candidates. This is a division where anyone on the day can beat anyone but our inconsistences are there for all to see and we have to be realistic in accepting that we are  100% better than the last few years but we still have a mighty lot to do to achieve what our excellent owners hope for.

In closing I have read the comments about Amoo and I have to add that his performance yesterday was sadly atrocious. We all know what he is capable of but he actually "shirked" out of many challenges and certainly gave the travelling fans the impression that he was not up for the game.It was not surprising therefore to witness loads of fans having a go at him for his apparent couldn't care less attitude. I accept it's probably easy for fans to verbally abuse players if they give out vibes that they are not worthy of the shirt and it may knock certain players confidence but those fans pay their hard earned money to follow their heroes and it's in the heat of the moment that passions overflow common sense and although I'm not condoning booing players , it is understandable that some can want to vent their spleens at players who are not just having an off day, but seemingly do not want to be there.

Without Worrall and Joyce it's going to be a very interesting next game! 

Advert

I’ve read on the thread that we were dire 2nd half, which has been the case for the last month or so. My only conclusion is that because we start games at a fast pace we quickly start to tire into the 2nd half because, let’s face it, we’re talking about League 2 players here. This is evidenced by the number of times we’ve scored first in away games and dropped points. Yesterday, Colchester, Salford, Orient, Macc etc.

To be fair, Askey made his changes pretty quickly yesterday albeit to no great effect so I don’t know what the answer is to be honest, other than missing an Anthony Grant type midfielder (don’t think we can count on Manny unfortunately) as he was excellent at winning free kicks and breaking the game up. 

12 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Who knows?  Agard's red card covered the FA Cup so Worrall will miss that.  Whether or not the Leasing game will count is up for debate because the rules are completely indecipherable! 

The break might do Worrall good - he is clearly not 100% fit and a compulsory rest might be what he needs.

Ref was nuts today.  That decision to when he reckoned tripping Taylor when he was away down the left wasn't a foul was laughable and a couple of assaults on Bennett which he waved away were equally ridiculous.  Amoo had his shirt pulled in the box in the first half but that wasn't a foul either. 

I thought the ref yesterday was related to their number 3. They were both cheating barstewards. The ref again missed so many challenges that were awful. The number 3 should be awarded an Oscar for his tactics in feigning fouls, falling over and generally being a tool. 

We lost to a better team yesterday who were physically stronger than us albeit we held our own in the first half. Our two fullbacks were taken to the cleaners by their wide men especially their left winger who was superb. I’d swap Amoo for him any day. Our man of the match was Brown even though he made the mistake for their second goal. Scunny’s corner kicks were top notch as well as opposed to our little floaters. Wozza was clearly not fit and the forced break will do him and Vale good in the long term. We missed Pope yesterday for his physicality as Bennett is powder puff. His lame header near the end summed up his performance. However he does try and gives a 100%. Not convinced the same can be said for Amoo who looks completely disinterested. Having said that Browne is a weaker alternative which is worrying bearing in mind how poor Amoo has been. We ought to consider playing Cullen and Pope in the team at the same time. The ref was appalling but Scunthorpe deserved their win in the second half performance.  Up the Vale. 

9 hours ago, philpvfc said:

Trouble is he is better than anyone else in that position. Why we have not signed a decent left back since Dickinson is beyond me.

Scary that we view Dicko as decent when he was pretty much useless. Really hope we sign one in Jan

With the suspension/rest Worrall needs, and Amoo out of form, is it time to give 352 a bash?

Gibbons and Montano excel getting forward (Montano basically created the goal and had our best effort on goal yesterday), and it could somehow solve the 'how can we play two strikers without ceding control of the midfield' conundrum. Could give Pope and Cullen a go, or Archer when he recovers from his injury (was doing some fitness drills pre-game yesterday so should be close).

Two snagging points; one, Askey has rarely deviated from 433 in his recent managerial career, and two we only have 3 centre halves available with Kennedy out on loan and Crooks still injured.

Unlikely to happen, but Browne isn't impressing in the chances he's getting and beyond that we have no widemen. I would wager we have two of the better attacking fullbacks in this division so it would be great if we could really utilise that.

A quick note from me; Montano has been excellent and his spell at left back coincided with our best run this season. A terrible game yesterday (against a really good winger) should not yield people declaring 'he's not a full back'. Give him a chance to put it right; he's got enough goodwill in the bank after his recent good performances there.

I think we’ve got out of jail a couple of times with Pope coming on as a second half substitute and changing the tide. Obviously this couldn’t happen yesterday and the inevitable happened and we still await our first league victory at that ground. If we are to trouble the top 7 we need a leftback and different option up front as well as holding onto Taylor.

With out doubt we are still a couple of good quality player short. If the selected eleven all give 100% then we can challenge at the top unfortunately that very rarely happens with league two players. We are defiantly carrying one or two at the moment. Just hope we can get a result at Cheltenham if only to boost the coffers , Then Man utd at home or away . We are doing better than I expected just lacking a bit of mental strength and toughness    

Here's one for the stats nerds out there.

A great lower league stat analysis guy called Ben Mayhew (@experimental361 on Twitter) does a regular update on an xG table for the 4 divisions.

Simply put to those who don't rate or like analytics, every shot taken in a game is measured in terms of probability of success for a number of factors (distance from goal, position, header/shot, position of defenders) to work out which team had the better chances in any given game. Each shot is given a value of between 0 and 1, a tap in being closer to one (as its scored more time than not out of 100), and a 40 yard piledriver a value closer to zero.

Once you add these values up, you get an idea as to which team had better chances. Even if a team is on a losing run, teams which have good xG numbers usually revert to the mean and start winning games. Stoke under Nathan Jones were an interesting anomaly; posting consistent top 6 xG numbers whilst losing every week.

This is the table for League 2 so far this season. It puts us in 7th, as we should have won 8 games, drawn 5, and lost 6 based on the quality of chances we created and conceded in both games (if we converted and conceded at the average rate). I could go into the fact that scoring goals is more about creating good chances than having good finishers but that's another debate.EKFYKZZXUAYTuBy.thumb.png.24dc606a33e11b1473b1b3b24ae49438.png

There must be an element of accuracy to the models as if you add up the value of every shot we've taken, it yields 25.2 (we've scored 25), and if you add up the value of every shot we've conceded, it yields 25.3 (we've conceded 25). It's pretty much spot on.

Now, these models are full of flaws, and should not be taken as gospel, but it gives a nice bit of reassurance that we're about where we deserve to be. Salford have been very lucky and Cambridge very unlucky (or Salford are extremely clinical and Cambridge extremely wasteful).

Either way, we're not getting lucky. We largely deserve to be on the edge of the playoffs.

For reference, this is the xG graph from the game yesterday. We conceded shots that, when each assigned a value between 0 and 1, add up to 2.2 (we conceded 2), and had shots that, when each assigned a value between 0 and 1, add up to 0.7 (we scored 1). Our particularly woeful second half is exposed here, and also how dangerous Van Veen and Eisa were all afternoonL

2019-11-23-scunthorpe-port-vale.thumb.png.d317d1eca693f6d0b874a739a1e9028f.png

Watch the game they were just much better at passing to their own player, rather than 10 metres behind or in front. You could see in the passing why most of their players have played a lot at a higher level than ours. Hard to fault our players' effort but technically they had better players.

6 hours ago, Bald Eagle said:

Main footage kicks in after the initial melee.  Linesman was very close to the incident, and was talking to the ref with his mouth obscured just before the cards were issued.  Unless there is another camera angle showing the start of the confrontation this will not be overturned sadly.

On I follow you could see Worrall running over to their player at the final whistle. It pans away briefly then goes back When players are trying to drag Worrall away. Whatever happened Worrall was stupid to go charging over after the whistle.

13 minutes ago, JRC said:

On I follow you could see Worrall running over to their player at the final whistle. It pans away briefly then goes back When players are trying to drag Worrall away. Whatever happened Worrall was stupid to go charging over after the whistle.

The camera doesn't catch it but there was some excessive punching and what I think looked like punches thrown by both, before the camera pans.

What you see on camera is the aftermath, of players trying to break it up.

Fans who weren't there looking at the back end of it and lamenting the ref; from my perspective it was a justified red and without knowing he'd been sent off I remarked that Woz would face a retrospective ban.

The camera doesn't catch it but there was some excessive punching and what I think looked like punches thrown by both, before the camera pans.
What you see on camera is the aftermath, of players trying to break it up.
Fans who weren't there looking at the back end of it and lamenting the ref; from my perspective it was a justified red and without knowing he'd been sent off I remarked that Woz would face a retrospective ban.

To me it looked like they just grabbed each other. Personally didn’t see any punches or anything like that.

I didn’t see the game but with the majority saying the better team won then that will do for me. I do like it when ppl are honest and take off their black&white spectacles. I’ve expressed my opinion more than once about my thoughts on Bennett but just get slated. Ie he’s our to scorer, the last stat was from BBC top goal scorers where he was one in just under three games. He isn’t even in the top goal scorers list anymore so I can’t provide you with goal to minutes ration but I bet it’s about one in four games.

Amoo is a massive enigma to me. The blokes said to have an abundance of speed, so I don’t understand when he’s near the half way line and the defender is pressing him, why he tries to beat him. All he needs to do is what Gareth Ainsworth used to do, just push the ball past him and then leave the defender standing. 

With the suspensions forced upon us it will force JA to make changes and allow him to assess the depth of his squad. Remember what happened when we played Plymouth Argyle, forced to make three substitutions in the first half. Let’s keep our heads up, so we’ve lost a game, no big deal, I’m sure we’ll bounce back.

Anyway, a pleasant distraction from the league with the FA Cup.

COYW.

Archived