onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Scunthorpe United v Port Vale

Fosse69

14 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Final note; would love a bit of Van Veen at the club.

That proper baller type whose a bit clever and technical, does nowt for 30 minutes and then pops up and nails you before you realise he's on the pitch still.

Would probably frustrate the hell out of our fanbase but he was pulling strings going forward in a manner no player bar a fit Manny can do for us.

Sounds like a modern day Louis Dodds!!!! 🤭

Advert

37 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Avoiding social media/other posts on here so I don't have to read the reactionary takes, in both ways.

Today was very disappointing, as too many players were off their game. Worrall, Burgess, Joyce, Gibbons were below their standards, and Montano, Amoo, and Bennett were fairly disastrous.

We started brightly and knocked it around well, looking full of confidence. A well worked goal finished by Taylor. Bang. Another away win.

A recurring problem is throwing away points from winning positions. 19 dropped now, most in the League.

We allowed the excellent trio of Eisa, Van Veen, and Gillead to dictate the game, both fullbacks in disarray against direct opponents and Van Veen picking up space vacated by the hard-working Novak's occupancy of the centre halves (who were the only two to come out of today with any semblance of credit). A great cross from Gillead is driven home by the classy Van Veen and we go in deservedly drawing, with them perhaps having shaded it.

Second half was an unmitigated shambles. Brown spilt a cross into the path of their fairly theatrical left back and we're behind. Far from having a go, we proceeded to collapse and bar Brown making up for his error with a string of good saves, should have been 4 or 5-1 down.

McArdle being the experienced centre half he is had Bennett on toast all day. I've backed Bennett but its time for a change. His first touch isn't good enough and he didn't have a single decent sight of goal today. Cullen is lobbed on to zero effect, and Rhys Browne might as well have not bothered. Nice to see Conlon back and he did inject a degree of urgency to us, which will be useful.

Despite us being lucky to still be in the game, we didn't do enough to threaten them late on. I thought maybe luck was on our side and it would be a smash and grab point, but their keeper had literally nothing to do second half.

Two major disappointments away from the performance; Worrall's poor discipline at the end. He got in a needless, time-wasting scuffle with their lad with a minute left, and then was heavily involved in the propagation of this scrap at the end. I didn't know he'd been sent off till I was back in the car, but commented to those I was with that he'd face a retrospective ban as both players literally swung punches at eachother.

Second disappointment; fans turning on certain players. Amoo isn't playing great and is, at times, lazy. However, the abuse I heard him get today, the "you lazy f******** git Amoo" screamed from a distance about 20 feet, the cheering as he was substitued was absolutely ridiculous. Once fans had decided he was being lazy, every single thing he did wrong was attributed to his lack of desire. Cross blocked - lazy. Tackled - lazy. There was one instance when he didn't challenge for a ball going out for a goal kick as he (and I) assumed Cullen was going to do so. He got more stick than Stoke players got under Jones. It was absolutely exaggeratively ludicrous. Every single time he touched the ball you could hear some gents waiting for him to lose possession so they could lambast him from close quarters. It almost became a sport; who could give Amoo the most stick. Baffling. Each to their own, but it achieves absolutely nothing to what is clearly a confidence player with talent on his day.

A day to forget. We're still 9th, with 2 defeats in 13. We were inevitably going to come unstuck and a poor combination of our lads not being on top of their form, and their attacking midfielders playing very well (as well as Scunny starting to click; undoubtedly won't be 18th come May) has yielded a defeat.

Let's retain perspective; we're still performing above expectations. Just as we don't want to get carried away with the wins, let's not get carried away at a defeat against a team who played pretty well today.

Cheltenham is going to be very difficult so focus for me is the FL Trophy to boost the January coffers for a forward and probably a left back, and then putting things right at home to Walsall in 2 weeks.

Good following; nice to hear new chants for Worrall and Amoo.

Just listening to the stick reserved for Amoo today made me recall the stick Geoghan (Tall midfielder) had under Gannon when Vale played Accrington away...chants of 'if Geoggan (Can't spell his name) can play for Vale so can I!!'

Funny and always makes me laugh when I re watch the video on you tube. That match happened when Adams was the Sheffield Utd manager

3 hours ago, The Kalamazoo Kid said:

3 match ban for Worrall?

Not back until Boxing Day? (assuming the ban covers league games only)

Who knows?  Agard's red card covered the FA Cup so Worrall will miss that.  Whether or not the Leasing game will count is up for debate because the rules are completely indecipherable! 

The break might do Worrall good - he is clearly not 100% fit and a compulsory rest might be what he needs.

Ref was nuts today.  That decision to when he reckoned tripping Taylor when he was away down the left wasn't a foul was laughable and a couple of assaults on Bennett which he waved away were equally ridiculous.  Amoo had his shirt pulled in the box in the first half but that wasn't a foul either. 

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Scunthorpe are in the top six on current form.  Their position in the table is due to getting one point from their first six games.  We were poor but don't assume Scunny were a bottom side on current form.

Regardless...Vale need to defend one goal leads. Playing a midfielder in a leftback position isn't helping

Think part of the problem was both Gibbons and Monty were booked first half so had to be careful where to stick a foot in which didn’t help second half.

Disappointing and as bad as any performance this season in the second period after a really promising first half.

That said 5 defeats going into December is far better than most expected and a couple of winnable looking games to follow against Walsall near the bottom and Crawley who have won once in 13.

Worrall hasn’t helped our cause though and let’s hope there is video evidence to clear him. Unless he’s smacked him one or pushed him above the neck a red is harsh.

Sometimes you just have to put your hand up and say the better team won. That was the case today. We weren't great, but we weren't terrible. Askey tried to change it at the right times. Didn't help as it turned out, but didn't do any harm either. And you have to try something when the game is running against you . 

Which it was, from the point where we scored.

You just have to  take  that on the chin and move on. 

3 hours ago, whotobeakiller said:

Regardless...Vale need to defend one goal leads. Playing a midfielder in a leftback position isn't helping

Trouble is he is better than anyone else in that position. Why we have not signed a decent left back since Dickinson is beyond me.

I can't comment on the game itself as I fell asleep just before kick off. You can't grumble at the run we have had. It was banker that we would lose after such good performances. It is typical of Vale.

One thing I have read that irritates me, it doesn't matter how bad a player is you cannot get on their backs, it will help and certainly wont make them play better. I used to do it myself with Lee Mills, lazy donkey, I would do alomost anything to have a player of his caliber back.

Onto Cheltenham, gonna be tough, would be amazing to get a result and progress.

8 hours ago, valefan16 said:

Worrall hasn’t helped our cause though and let’s hope there is video evidence to clear him. Unless he’s smacked him one or pushed him above the neck a red is harsh.

Main footage kicks in after the initial melee.  Linesman was very close to the incident, and was talking to the ref with his mouth obscured just before the cards were issued.  Unless there is another camera angle showing the start of the confrontation this will not be overturned sadly.

Archived