Fosse69

Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Just got home after the game, possibly a tad lucky to be honest, thought there number 7 was a cracking player and would be top of my signing list, Amoo faded badly in the second half, he certainly frustrates at times...overall I enjoyed the game, certainly end to end and credit to Carlisle, they didn’t come to sneak a point, which was probably there undoing in the end.

onwards and upwards, not getting too excited yet, but pleased with the steady progress that the whole club is making

• Like 2

Apart from the goal after 20 seconds, they did nothing first half.

second half they forced Browny into 1 decent save.

we hit the post, had 2 cleared off the line, I knew we wouldn’t lose.

Cullen as the in form striker has to start, top scorer now after playing hardly any games, that’s not a dig at Bennett, just Cullen atm, is on form.

• Like 1

Superb performance today m. It was a shock to go behind so quickly but I thought that that we’d score a goal. Last season we’d have Kay down and died. Felt with a definite penalty in the first half that we weren’t given for handball and the ball bobbed around in their area but didn’t fall to our players. IMO the performance was as good as the Crewe performance. I didn’t know who’d be given the man of the match because there was some really decent performances. Well do to Dave Worrall. I wonder how long it will be before the 🇨🇴 FA send a representative to checkout our left back.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Another shropshire valiant said:

Just got home after the game, possibly a tad lucky to be honest, thought there number 7 was a cracking player and would be top of my signing list, Amoo faded badly in the second half, he certainly frustrates at times...overall I enjoyed the game, certainly end to end and credit to Carlisle, they didn’t come to sneak a point, which was probably there undoing in the end.

onwards and upwards, not getting too excited yet, but pleased with the steady progress that the whole club is making

A tad lucky? I don't know what pop you've been on but I wouldn't have any more! 

• Like 1

Bennett is a handful but I think he needs someone like a Cullen alongside him. As a lone striker he simply won't score enough goals. For me Cullen has to be starting games now. But how nice is it to have the likes of Pope, Bennett, Browne and Conlon to come off the bench instead of absolute dross as we've been used to over the years. 

And we must get Taylor signed up for the season at the very least asap! Brilliant player that will only get better. 

Edited by TylerB
  • Like 4

1 minute ago, TylerB said:

Bennett is a handful but I think he needs someone like a Cullen alongside him. As a lone striker he simply won't score enough goals. For me Cullen has to be starting games now. But how nice is it to have the likes of Pope, Bennett, Browne and Conlon to come off the bench instead of absolute dross as we've been used to over the years. 

And we must get Taylor signed up for the season at the very least asap! Brilliant player that will only get better. 

The options we have this year vs last are light years ahead... it’s nice to have an actual squad this year rather than a team! 

Bennett brings a lot to the team, the goals have dried up a little but he will be back in the goals eventually. Nice to have options up front to rotate through. 

• Like 6

49 minutes ago, robf said:

I posted this in another thread but to cut and paste...

Sure absolutely terrible decision to pick a fit player over two players recovering from injury. After all, we've not just had recent experience of rushing people with injures back too soon (*coughs "Manny Oyeleke"). 

What an appalling decision by John Askey to pick a squad so poor they can only pick up three points against Carlisle and their fourth win in a row. He's clearly lost the plot..

Just hope and pray we can keep it going until the end of the season.

Both Conlon and Atkinson played most of Tuesdays match.

Must be gutted that Ryan Lloyd is preferred before them.

30 minutes ago, TylerB said:

Jake Taylor has improved considerably since the start of the season and showed today that he can mix it with the players who try to rough him up.

Burgess also is improving and with Joyce pulling the strings the midfield is stronger than last year.

Nice touch of Carol to find him a car when his was broken into.

Would Mr Blobby have done the same.

Obviously he enjoys playing regularly each week at the Vale and would have to start again from scratch at another club.

Edited by Erniemossrules
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

Just hope and pray we can keep it going until the end of the season.

Both Conlon and Atkinson played most of Tuesdays match.

Must be gutted that Ryan Lloyd is preferred before them.

Conlon and Atkinson played an hour.  Lloyd played the full 90 and provided the pass for the winning goal. 

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Conlon and Atkinson played an hour.  Lloyd played the full 90 and provided the pass for the winning goal. 

Ive got dippy on my ignore list and thats where the idiot is staying however due to the fact you can see what he's spewing when posters reply to him,and unfortunately Ive picked up on his recent attention seeking comments, remember his attacks on Askey calling him Arthur,not from a friendly point of view but because he thought it was funny to lampoon him,who needs supporters like him,if indeed he is a supporter.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Erniemossrules said:

Askeys love child.

How does he get in the squad when Conlon and Atkinson can’t.

Askey trying to prove he was worth signing.and not wasting the budget.

We win AGAIN..not lost at home..3 points off second place..yet you wont give askey any praise..you just bleat on about wasting the budget etc....well I hope he keeps wasting the budget like he has.....you are starting to really sound bitter and pathetic now,you just hate being proved wrong don't you 

• Like 7

Even after a good win it’s disappointing to still see the same people come on here to just try and rub others noses in it and try to wind them up. So we just get into that bickering back and forth cycle again. We’ve lost 1 in 12 and still the negativity comes. What else can the team or manager do? I’m on other forums where constant repetitive trolling like that gets a ban. 

I said during the game that the first goal was a shocker. Montys got pulled out of position and allowed the runner in behind him. I think that’s who Askey is alluding to in his post match interview. After that it was pretty much all us, again the majority of our threat was coming down our right. Amoo has the beating of their full back and with their left winger giving Gibbo a lot of room we were just playing around and through them down there. On the subject of their left winger, what a weapon he is, when you make yourself stand out with little shorts, gloves and socks down low you need something to back it up. But he plays the game in completely the wrong way, diving all over the place, feigning injury and moaning at the officials. Disgraceful. 

Of the chances we created in the first half, Bennett looked to have 3 good ones, but other than that I thought he was anonymous. 

Second half was more of the same, without us probably creating as much as we did first half. Until the goals that is. Again both came from good work down the right and for a full back to get 2 assists is good going. All you can do is put the ball into the right areas and hope someone makes the right run and Worrall and Cullen did just that. Good goals from our point of view. Amoo started to get some stick in the second half and I think that as games progress his work rate starts to dip, moreso in helping out going backwards when we needed to dig in. But you can’t deny he was a threat throughout and had a hand in the first goal too.  On the subject of wingers Gibbo had a really good battle with their no7, who is actually on loan from Sheffield Utd, so hes come from a lot higher level. I think he came through a good test like that and again he showed what he can do when wingers don’t switch on to his threat going forward as well. On the other side Monty managed to get himself into a few scuffles after a couple of their players went diving around and when he got thrown to the floor. He was lucky as he raised his hands a couple of times today. 

Askey got the subs spot on today, they worked when we needed them to. I think we played some good stuff at times and the run keeps going. MOM for me was either Worrall or Gibbons. 

Edited by PV1973
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

On the subject of their left winger, what a weapon he is, when you make yourself stand out with little shorts, gloves and socks down low you need something to back it up. But he plays the game in completely the wrong way, diving all over the place, feigning injury and moaning at the officials. Disgraceful. 

Thats McKirdy ex Stoke and Villa hails from Trent Vale and is a first class pr**k.

He's the one who nearly started a riot playing for Crewe a few seasons back when he threw a Vale player think it was Hannant over the wall of the Ice Cream stand.

Loves the attention, needed kicking over the Railway to give him something to really moan about.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, osprey said:

Seems Carlisle fans weren't impressed with McKirdy either :

chedderbob247 wrote: I don’t want to see McKirdy wearing a Carlisle United shirt ever again.

Totally sick of his antics - he was an embarrassment today and acted like a spoilt kid throughout the whole game.

Bomb him out of the team and club immediately is the only action that needs to be taken.[/quote

I have to ask...... Are you on drugs?

Not at all. He was a total and utter disgrace today and it’s not something I want associated with Carlisle United. What was interesting is that you can start to see his team mates are also sick of it as well.

Gut feeling is he is a divisive figure in the dressing room.

He certainly won’t remain a professional footballer with the current attitude that he has. If he carries on like this he will be non league next season and a couple of seasons after that he will be looking for a job outside of football.

As a Vale fan exiled to Cumbria, I’m not surprised. Generally Cumbrian people are very straight up and won’t stand for any shenanigans like that.

Interesting to listen to the game on BBC Cumbria. Get different perspective on game. 

They couldn’t believe they didn’t have a man sent off in first half and generally thought they got away with a lot.

Obviously great spirit in the Vale squad. How many times this season have we said we’d have lost a game like that last season. Brilliant from everyone at the club. Thank you for giving us a team to be proud of.

• Like 4

I thought it was going to be one of those games we would do everything but score, Amoo was unlucky when his cross hit his opponent`s arm, which was away from his body, whether the ref considered it unavoidable , or didn't see it, or was just incompetent is anyone`s guess.