onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Fosse69

After our equaliser I thought we were poor. If Carlisle had got their chances on target in the last 20 they would have won. I expected us to go on and win comfortably after our first but it didn't pan out that way. We had a spell of about 30 minutes in the first half when we were very good. Their left winger got a lot of good balls into the box over the last 20.

Advert

7 hours ago, Warren said:

The thing I most took from the game is that Gibbons has improved significantly. He makes crucial tackles and is now very reliable on the ball. Some of that comes from the team being drilled and coached well. He does not have to force difficult passes because they are running to and standing in the right places. Watching Liverpool play, the few times I go per season, there are a couple of things that always absolutely stand out. The first is shape and drill even when out of possession. The second is first touch - unbelievable ball fired in to each other. That makes them able to play at speed. I think Vale have improved at that as well and it enables the ball to be moved quicker before the opposing defenders can mark or get back into shape. 

I’d agree that he’s improved his use of the ball massively, from when he first broke into the side to now is a a big difference in that regard. But then again how many players break in to a team and are the finished article..... none. It certainly helps that we now play a style of football that also encourages more movement too. That wasn’t the case under the last couple of managers. I said in my earlier post that either him or Worrall were my MOTM. 2 assists in a game is unbelievable from a full back. But more than that there was a Ten minute spell in the second half where the winger got the better of him, then he’d win a battle, then the winger and it went back and forth for that period in the game. A really good old fashioned battle
with a full back and winger. In the end he came out on top I think, typified by getting forward and finding space away from the winger for that cross near the end. Once he gets the measure of players it’s good to see. I can’t believe that they allowed him so much space throughout the game to get forward. Teams should be working to stop that. 

I thought Smith and Legge were good too, their big lad up front was a real handful and after that nightmare start he hardly had a sniff. 

6 hours ago, darren1810 said:

Why Ernie ? 

Who would you of liked instead . Can you enlighten me on our budget a player who can play Right back, midfield or Emergency left back who you would of signed instead ? 

Or maybe because Vassell was okay against us you'd of preferred him to stay and also Shalaj on the left instead of Lloyd ? 

He wont name any players as I asked him all through the summer.... I said with him obviously knowing what these players are on and what HIS potential targets would want wage wise then it should be easy for him to name who he would like

7 hours ago, Emile said:

Bad results will probably still come but I'm hopeful we can grab a playoff place. What an achievement that would be.

I'd like it on record were finishing above Crewe this year. 

I'd like to think so,Crwho have already gone ahead of us for home attendances, which hasn't occurred for a good while

45 minutes ago, werstayinup said:

On the subject of Gibbons teams are watching him and I believe one in particular are taking a keen interest

Any idea who? Hopefully we can keep hold of players like Smith and Gibbons. We need those young players to build a foundation on.

5 hours ago, Mario said:

Abject ? Really? Carlisle never really troubled Brown and in any game the opposition will have the upper hand for a period, where were Carlisle in the first half ? it's how you deal with it and I thought we dealt with it well,going on to win the game.

Great team spirit and the crowd was right behind them,more of the same boys and ignore the knockers.

Brown made a block when their player was close to goal first half and stopped us going to 2-0 down. He also turned over an angled drive from in the box second half. So in total he didn't have a lot to do but both of those were really good saves. 

Right now Gibbo is hitting the best form of his career,  having come through a few dodgy moments,  which any league 2 defender can have. Thing for me is that when he does commit a ric, he is well supported by the likes of Legg and just gets on with it. He's also developing in to a bit of a hard man type defender who relishes the battle and is becoming quite comfortable on the ball. Providing that he continues his progress and keeps his concentration amid the inevitable speculation of other teams interest,  he will become not only a player capable of playing at a higher level,  but a high value asset to Port Vale. A must to keep for as long as we can. 

Right now Gibbo is hitting the best form of his career,  having come through a few dodgy moments,  which any league 2 defender can have. Thing for me is that when he does commit a ric, he is well supported by the likes of Legg and just gets on with it. He's also developing in to a bit of a hard man type defender who relishes the battle and is becoming quite comfortable on the ball. Providing that he continues his progress and keeps his concentration amid the inevitable speculation of other teams interest,  he will become not only a player capable of playing at a higher level,  but a high value asset to Port Vale. A must to keep for as long as we can. 
Excellent summary

Archived