onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Port Vale v Carlisle United

Fosse69

8 hours ago, Joe B said:

Bennett is a reasonable League 2 player. Good at some things and bad at others. Good for double figures.

I do think Cullen deserves a chance; 4 in 4 starts and proven at this level. Issue is, is that Bennett is excellent at pressing which is obviously the cornerstone of Askey's tactics. Even when Bennett is poor in front of goal (as he has been for 5ish games), he has been excellent at harrying defenders and leading the press from the front. Can Cullen provide the same as a lone striker? Maybe get Amoo to drift inside and almost play centrally, as he has for Cambridge? There's no question of deviating from 433 as that system has made our team look a lot better than its constituent parts in recent weeks.

Big decisions. We've got nothing on how Carlisle will set up on Saturday and the cliched new manager bounce will be out for us. Take a scrappy win. 1-0 Vale.

When you look at teams who do well with a pressing game it starts from the front. The whole point is you try to win the ball back higher up the field. Not sure Pope is the right player to do that for 90 minutes. He does it pretty well when he comes on for the last 30 but at that point defenders are starting to tire. 

Amoo isn't playing well at the moment. A possible option  might be to put Cullen in as an inside right. He's played a few games as a winger in his career. He hasn't quite got the same pace as Amoo but his second goal on Tuesday showed he isn't slow. A fresh Amoo's pace for the last 30 would certainly be a real threat. My guess is Askey will start with the same team that's got him the run of 1 defeat in 10, that's probably what I'd do.

Advert

No chance will we be messing about with formation and personnel too much, why put a player out of position who’s coming back from injury too? For me it’ll either be the same team or Pope for a Bennet.

Pressing may start from the front but it’s about that lone striker holding the ball for us to allow us to get out as well. IMO Bennet is no good at holding it up and buying us that time. His performance in the last 2 away games highlighted that yet again. 

What's the weather been like up there?  Absolutely bucket-loads of rain down here during the last 36 hours , leading to flooded roads and my golf course being closed.  I'm planning a trip up tomorrow, is there any question mark over the pich being playable tomorrow? Any guidance gratefully received.

I think the argument over the strikers is going to be there all season, & don't think it's worth thinking that much about at the moment. Until one of them sets the world alight (unlikely), there's always going to be this debate. Who cares when we've lost 1 out of 11 & are up against one of the bottom clubs, any should do (should!). Can always switch it up later on like usual, & Cullen could be worth a half I reckon too.

We tend to know 10 of the lineup for definite now anyway, let's just hope for a performance from them reflecting the last few away games, rather than some of those at home.

18 hours ago, old sage said:

Very easy decision for me if is one up front then it is Tom Popw by a country mile!

You'll still be saying that when he is 45 lol. Can't really fault Askey's team selections really, with only 1 defeat in 11 games. I would say though he must be pondering either Tom or Cullen to start this week . Good choice to have though.

1 hour ago, Tomo said:

I think the argument over the strikers is going to be there all season, & don't think it's worth thinking that much about at the moment. Until one of them sets the world alight (unlikely), there's always going to be this debate. Who cares when we've lost 1 out of 11 & are up against one of the bottom clubs, any should do (should!). Can always switch it up later on like usual, & Cullen could be worth a half I reckon too.

Isn’t it amazing how many people moaned about the squad In the summer and yet here we are having only lost 1 in 11 discussing which of our 4 strikers we want to play! Brilliant!

The Carlisle fans really don’t like Ritchie Bennett... Their forum is full of people sl*gging him off saying he is useless.
First name of the team sheet if I was JA.... go and show them son!!
Interesting our forum is full of similar people saying similar things!!
Agree though, he will probably have a blinder against them.

Archived