onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: EFLT Port Vale v Newcastle Utd U21

Fosse69

Already through to the KO stage, but top spot would give us a home game in the first round. Worth going for to  continue  the  winning mentality throughout the club, and  the £10K win bonus will be very useful too. There should be scope to rest some of the key players` weary legs from Saturday`s magnificent result at MK, only 4 of the outfield players need to turn out, a chance for the rest of the squad to show what they can do. 3-0 to the Vale.

Advert

3 hours ago, Fosse69 said:

Already through to the KO stage, but top spot would give us a home game in the first round. Worth going for to  continue  the  winning mentality throughout the club, and  the £10K win bonus will be very useful too. There should be scope to rest some of the key players` weary legs from Saturday`s magnificent result at MK, only 4 of the outfield players need to turn out, a chance for the rest of the squad to show what they can do. 3-0 to the Vale.

Probably doesn't need to play anyone from Saturday due to the 40 first team starts clause. Browne, Cullen and Brisley will all start. Be a surprise if one of Conlon and Atkinson aren't include, if not both. So really has a free hand after that. Be interesting to see who play leftback as we are short of cover there until Crookes is fit. Lloyd and Evans have both played there in league games. He could also go with one of Hurst and Campbell-Gordon. Be a major surprise if he risks Montano. Would imagine Evans, Archer and Kennedy will also play.

3 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

Can we make so many changes, as teams in the past have been fined for making wholesale changes, from the last game played?

The rules about the 4 outfield qualifying players seem quite tough until you reach the get out of jail free clause:

7.4.4 has made forty or more starting appearances in First Team Fixtures or international equivalents (and not limited to the same Club or Season)

Pick pretty much any permutation of 10 outfield players from our squad and there will be 4 who have started 40 games in the league or any of the 3 cup competitions we enter.

JRC, thank you for the explanation. It’s the financial reward that would influence my team selection ands home draw in the next round. I know it’s not a popular competition with the fans due to the introduction of U21 teams. Unfortunately we’re probably not in a position where we can afford to miss out on cash available to us. I’d say 5/6 players who normally start and all those who sit on the bench, to give JA a chance to look at them. The subs bench can then be made up of youth or players out on loan, if they’re available  

4 hours ago, Playa Amodores said:

JRC, thank you for the explanation. It’s the financial reward that would influence my team selection ands home draw in the next round. I know it’s not a popular competition with the fans due to the introduction of U21 teams. Unfortunately we’re probably not in a position where we can afford to miss out on cash available to us. I’d say 5/6 players who normally start and all those who sit on the bench, to give JA a chance to look at them. The subs bench can then be made up of youth or players out on loan, if they’re available  

I agree we want a win. I see a team including Conlon, Cullen, Archer, Browne, Atkinson, Kennedy, Evans and Brisley, plus a strong bench, as being more than good enough to get a result. Most of those players would have been regulars last season. Really a chance for players to put down a marker for the inevitable injuries over a busy Christmas.  EFL trophy was a springboard for Burgess (Macclesfield) and Taylor (Shrewsbury) and there are one or two who could easily do the same on Tuesday. Evans has looked decent off the bench, Archer has done well in spells, Cullen, Conlon, Browne, Atkinson and Brisley have all been first choice at the level or in the league above. You'd hope they all want first opportunity to get a call to the first 11. Probably big games for Kennedy and Lloyd as they've dropped well down the pecking order, particularly with Montano's form at leftback limiting Lloyds chances there and potentially freeing Crookes to play more centrally. Might be a dead rubber in terms of qualification but a lot rests on it for individuals.

Reading the comment's on OVF's home page about the Newcastle children hoping to 'play us off the park' as we are 'experienced and very physical'; why do I keep reading this lazy cliche? Every time I read a preview of our game from fans/managers/players, we're described as 'physical'.

Is it because we happen to inhabit the same city that Tony Pulis' Stoke City did?

We definitely have experience but for a lower league side I wouldn't say we were massively over-physical; our best player is a small winger, we have a short right back, a winger at left back, play a 433 system with good technical players in the middle and fast wingers. We're hard working but one of our centre halves is 5"11 ffs. Joyce, Taylor, Burgess, Gibbons, Worrall are far from physical. Even Amoo and Monty, who are big, are hardly 'physical' footballers. I'd agree Legge and Bennett fit the mould, but its 2 out of 11.

Every week I see opposition managers saying "we know what to expect; Vale will be a tough side, physical and experienced" which just underlines to me that they have no idea how we play. Lo and behold, we're 1 loss in 10.

I'm not arguing we're prime Barcelona but every single week I read this lazy accusation of us being Pulisball 2.0 because we're an unfashionable club in an unfashionable area. We play reasonable football and have some very tidy technical players.

I’d describe our “short right back” as pretty physical tbh!

That said the little get from NUFC does come over as a bit overconfident in their quality of passing. We can play a passing game no problem.

I think we deserve a reputation for pressing when we don’t have the ball but I wouldn’t say dirty if that’s the implication. 
I still can’t be @ršëd with this competition until the latter stages. It’s beneath us playing against these children and I don’t much care if we let them win the little dears.

Archived