onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Have we played every club in the 4 leagues?

mr.hobblesworth

1 hour ago, sandyford_valiant said:

I remember that. They had a winger that day called Ashley Sestanovich and he absolutely destroyed us down the left. 

just looked and it was 2003. We beat Ford utd in the first round. 

I went to Ford Utd for the replay. Didn't think our car was going to be there when we got back. We sneaked the win with an own goal I recall off a Birchall cross in extra time.

Agree with Railway Rowdy that we were poor under Horton. I never really warmed to him as a manager and I wasn't around when he was a player for us. The tactics were woeful, I remember players often being played out of position (Marcus Bent for instance, how stupid was that). I know some of our fans think we would have got us in to the playoffs that season he left (The same season as the Scarborough game I think), but I don't agree. Foyle was the better choice, until the V2001 money ran dry and screwed him over.

Advert

I went to Ford Utd for the replay. Didn't think our car was going to be there when we got back. We sneaked the win with an own goal I recall off a Birchall cross in extra time.

Agree with Railway Rowdy that we were poor under Horton. I never really warmed to him as a manager and I wasn't around when he was a player for us. The tactics were woeful, I remember players often being played out of position (Marcus Bent for instance, how stupid was that). I know some of our fans think we would have got us in to the playoffs that season he left (The same season as the Scarborough game I think), but I don't agree. Foyle was the better choice, until the V2001 money ran dry and screwed him over.

Horton was a fantastic player for the Vale. He was always a poor manager in my opinion.

8 hours ago, eh up nah said:

and we won a trophy with that side too.

Despite my criticism of Horton, I have consistently given him credit for the LDV success.

Not particularly for his management skills, but because he consistently picked what he considered to be his best team throughout the competition. This decision alone contributed heavily to our success.

Only a few years earlier Ferguson, quickly followed by Wenger, started playing reserve sides in cup competitions. Not wanting to feel left out, 3rd & 4th tier teams started doing a similar thing in the Football League Trophy. To his credit Horton didn’t. 

Why any manager would play a weakened side in the FL Trophy, a competition that any of the 48 participants can win, has always been a complete mystery to me.

Now the same happens in the FA Cup. On Saturday we are playing away to a higher division side and Askey is talking about changing the team ! 

This is why cup competition in this country is now dead, because no one wants to watch reserve sides.

And it’s a shame. 

Its was odd that Scarborough game as our home record was outstanding that season... although conceded 5 in the two games we did lose in the league, and was a good Vale side, closest we've come to returning to the second tier.

I didn't mind Horton, we had a great side in 00/01, just a shame Brooker came in a few weeks to late for us to claw enough points to get in the PO's... Klopp moans about fixture congestion he should of tried to negotiate our last week of the season! Thursday/Saturday/Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday so had only played 40 games with 9 days of the season left! Won the LDV but sadly that team was dismantled, Smith, Briscoe, Naylor all left.

Rebuilt us though for that 03/04 season. He wasn't the best manager but far from the worst and would love those days back in a heartbeat over the last few years.

18 hours ago, Jacko51 said:

Just checked and I reckon I’ve seen us play all bar one of the current league clubs. I did see the Youth Cup game against Chelsea though - does that count?!!  I’ve seen most of them in League games but 8 only in Cups. 

I’m 2 missing Jean (Chelsea and Salford) but hoping to catch you up in 2020. Can only find 7 just in cups (Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, Southampton and Man Utd). Suspect your other one may be Villa who I saw in 2 league games at Vale Park in 1970 and 1971. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

5 minutes ago, pjg1876 said:

I’m 2 missing Jean (Chelsea and Salford) but hoping to catch you up in 2020. Can only find 7 just in cups (Liverpool, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs, Everton, Southampton and Man Utd). Suspect your other one may be Villa who I saw in 2 league games at Vale Park in 1970 and 1971. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

You're right about Villa, Phil, although my better half has seen them in the League at Vale Park.  He thinks he might have seen Southampton at Vale in 57-58 but can't remember for certain.

50 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

You're right about Villa, Phil, although my better half has seen them in the League at Vale Park.  He thinks he might have seen Southampton at Vale in 57-58 but can't remember for certain.

The Southampton double was quite famous at the time, early season mid -week games were back to back, Vale won away 3-0  and 4-0 at home the week after. A swift return to the 2nd Div was on our minds, but we finished 13th and ended up in the 4th Div.

4 hours ago, pjg1876 said:

Villa who I saw in 2 league games at Vale Park in 1970 and 1971.

I also was at both those games. The 2-0 to us was I think on a very rainy Monday night.

The 4-4 was on a Saturday. In those days I would sell programmes and in that match I got “jumped” by Villa fans near to the bandstand who stole all the programmes I had !

Good days ! 

2 hours ago, RailwayRowdy said:

I also was at both those games. The 2-0 to us was I think on a very rainy Monday night.

Good days ! 

Certainly was on 19th October 1970. I stood in the Railway Paddock (because of the heavy rain) with some Villa fans who berated Brian Tiler for the whole match. Our goals were scored by the wonderful John James and Bobby Gough. 

At the time I remember most fans being critical of Horton. He took us down to what was then the 3rd division and believe it or not, we were a big club for that division back then and many were disappointed we were not challenging for the Championship. It did happen briefly in the McPhee season but generally nobody celebrated our era then as a massive period of success. It felt like the era of success in the 90s was rapidly fading. 

Archived