onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

General Erection - 12th December 2019

mr.hobblesworth

Sturgeon wants another referendum for Scottish independence,why dont the SNP fund a referendum themselves and find out whether there is the appetite for such a ballot ?

Personally I would give them full independence as soon as possible, they don't seem happy, they want to go alone let them them have a crack with say no coming back for 50 years.

Advert

23 minutes ago, Mario said:

Sturgeon wants another referendum for Scottish independence,why dont the SNP fund a referendum themselves and find out whether there is the appetite for such a ballot ?

Personally I would give them full independence as soon as possible, they don't seem happy, they want to go alone let them them have a crack with say no coming back for 50 years.

The SNP only got 45% of the Scottish vote so would they win a referendum?

It would be a Neverendum.. Otherwise known as that 'once in a lifetime thing' ...as long as it goes the SNP way, that is.  Interstingly, for me anyway, was the fact that their last vote was the first time a country had been offered a chance to vote for independence and had voted it down. Besides, I think the SNP have been deliberately conflating two different things from two very different referenda. 

The fact is there are too many MP's representing Scotland. Per head of the vote they end up over-represented by quite a way. One and a half million voters end up with 40-odd MP's which is well over the odds. As such, majorities in their constituencies turn on very small margins of a few hundred people. Of course, the media will do what it can to put focus on this problem of Indyref2 ....most of them looked as if they had acute indigestion last night from having to swallow the Tory victory so they find this distracts them. 

Coming up soon is the Salmond trial. It won't do a lot for the image of the party. Especially if, as suspected, the SNP did a 'Vatican' and actively hushed it up.  A lot of dirty linen will be washed in public. 

As for Indy itself.....I can't see the EU welcoming them with open arms. They may have postured about it when it looked like Brexit may not happen. Now that it certainly will then Scotland becomes more of a problem than an asset. (Ditto Ireland) I can't see Spain and other EU countries with a similar issue (e.g. Catalonia) wanting to have that kind of example. It would cause a lot of trouble. (I think the Scots get a bit centric about their own importance where the EU is concerned) 

they voted to stay in the UK. Then the UK voted to leave the EU. If they want another vote on staying with the UK that is Ok...as long as they also accept that the rest of the UK can have a vote on whether we want them to stay.

I stated early in the brexit thread that I would prefer to remain and a big concern for me was the political fallout of not honouring the referendum result....... and so it begins.

A lot was made of Labour's increased membership numbers, perhaps part of Labour's problem was assuming members would automatically vote for them, another part of the problem is assuming their loss is all about brexit and not openly identifying the wider problems.

A big problem they have now is their inability to hold the Tories back, even if all the other parties joined they don't have enough votes to hold the Tories accountable, there is no effective opposition. They have to rely on Tory dissenters,  which after a big confidence boosting win is extremely unlikely.

9 minutes ago, TheSage said:

It's probably time to close this thread now, accept the result and move on.

The proof of the pudding will be in the eating in the next few years to come and at least we now have an administration that can get things done.

You should have done that in 2016 and avoided this embarrassment for Labour.

When the post mortem takes place they need to learn a few things of why they lost so heavily and not blame everything on the media,the nasty tories and the weather.

I believe it was their worst performance since 1935 and they need to stop listening to the Momentum mob and move quickly to the centre ground.

It worked for Blair.

I wonder if all the good folk on here having a go at momentum have ever met any of there people? My niece's daughter is in Momentum and she's not a communist. She and her friends took holidays and unpayed leave (she has to work over the Christmas holidays now) so she could go and knock on people's doors in towns all over the north west. My sister tells me that she'd often get home soaked through and freezing cold and she was doing this not for herself but because she truely believes in making the country a better place for those who need it. You may disagree with her ideaology but it fills my heart with pride. 

It was blair and those who wanted to ignore the leavers who got labour where they are today.

If the Labour Party leadership persists in saying they lost because of Brexit nothing will change. I agree their policy on Brexit was waffley and too much on the fence but it is undoubtedly true that Corbyn’s leadership - or lack of it - had a huge effect. The post election polls show that clearly. 

With regard to this being Labour’s worst performance since 1935, that’s only true in terms of seats. Michael Foot got a much smaller percentage of the vote in 1983 and only 6 seats more, despite the lack of a strong SNP in Scotland at the time. 

Blair wiped the floor with the Tories three times. In 2005 the Tories won less seats than Corbyn’s Labour yet they were in government five years later because they learnt from their mistakes. 

You can have the best policies in the world in your view but if you can’t win elections no one cares. 

2 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

If the Labour Party leadership persists in saying they lost because of Brexit nothing will change. I agree their policy on Brexit was waffley and too much on the fence but it is undoubtedly true that Corbyn’s leadership - or lack of it - had a huge effect. The post election polls show that clearly. 

With regard to this being Labour’s worst performance since 1935, that’s only true in terms of seats. Michael Foot got a much smaller percentage of the vote in 1983 and only 6 seats more, despite the lack of a strong SNP in Scotland at the time. 

Blair wiped the floor with the Tories three times. In 2005 the Tories won less seats than Corbyn’s Labour yet they were in government five years later because they learnt from their mistakes. 

You can have the best policies in the world in your view but if you can’t win elections no one cares. 

Well said,is four successive election defeats a record?

1 minute ago, For Us All said:

Well said,is four successive election defeats a record?

No. Labour lost in ‘79, ‘83, ‘87 and ‘92. The Liberals lost every one after WW1 despite winning a huge majority in 1906.   The Tories lost four out of five between 1964 and 1974. 

Archived