onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Crewe Alex v Port Vale

Fosse69

Advert

Everything spot on.
Tactics, performance, subs, support, result.
We've beaten two teams who were top of the table when we played them, away from home; and arguably deserved both results. We're 2 points off the playoffs, 5 points behind Crewe (who you'd think were peak Barcelona by the way people go on about them), and 6 points off the top. We've beaten 3 of the top 4 in FGR, Crewe, and Bradford. We've lost 1 in 9, missing our first choice central midfielders. We haven't conceded a goal in open play in 4 games.
This is a very decent Vale side, full of likeable, hardworking players. Every single player put a shift in today. We outworked, outbattled, and were far more clinical when it came to creating high quality chances. Their keeper made a worldie from Pope's header; Worrall put one just wide; Amoo should have buried a free header late on. Brown had one save to make, and whilst it was decent, it was basically straight at him from close range. Crewe played some lovely football but didn't cause Brown any issues all day.
Superb from Legge. He is an absolutely brilliant centre half. Proper captain's performance. Should be the permanent captain; not a knock on Pope (who I'll come to) but Legge just has that confidence and aura, and the communication, that make him a brilliant captain. MOTM by a long way today. Imperious, and lovely to see him at the end. Proper in love with him.
Luke Joyce was again spot on. Great distribution and keeping a hold of the midfield where he was partnered by two young lads. Credit to Burgess and Taylor; did their jobs and covered the ground. Joycey is fundamental to us.
Final mention for Tom Pope. This was the Tom Pope of old, of 12/13 season. Best performance I've seen from him in a long, long time. His hold up play was superb, his willigness to chase balls and lay it off left their defenders in disarray. He had their centre halves panicking every time he touched the ball, and we looked genuinely dangerous with him on the pitch. Turned the game on its head and had Crewe on toast. Great save from their keeper aside, he's scored. Excellent stuff, and delightful to see.
We'll have some rough patches this season. I hope that when they occur, we have the common sense as a fanbase to see how far we've come. 6 months ago we had genuine fears of non-league at best, and administration/liquidation at worst. The fanbase was disengaged, the players weren't happy, and the club felt rotten.
What a difference 6 months makes. Cheers Askey, the boys, and especially Kevin and Carol. Genuinely grateful to have a club I can go and support and enjoy days like today with my old man. Apologies to the folk in my immediate vicinity when the goal went in.
Superb following as always lads and ladies. Well-behaved and the loudest in the lower leagues. Love the Vale, me.

Brilliant post..............

1 hour ago, Jacko51 said:

Brilliant stuff today made all the more pleasing by the intellectually challenged Shunter sitting near us in the big stand. His star performance was when he kept calling Popey a paedophile (he was clearly an expert on the subject). I’d very much like to introduce him to Popey so he can say that to his face. I’ll even call the ambulance for him!!

Hope you took a photo of him and sent it to Tom - I'm sure some of the folk could identify him for Tom - Later it would help the coroner ID the deceased . 

Absolutely spot on

Today Tom Pope underlined exactly why he should be starting games. He is over all a far better frontman than Bennett. Askey should take note all Tom needs is to be 'loved' by the manager and a small section of the fans,
  Without our Tom we would be in the wilderness of non league. Ungrateful fans would do well to remember this fact. 

2 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

What a sirry plick bet you are creaming your pants tonight.Enjoy.and keep taking the happy pills.

Best of it is you can’t see this post because I am one of the many millions on your blocked list.

Glad Askey took my advice and didn’t leave it until the last 10 mins to bring Popey on like last week.

Thought it changed the game and proved that Pope is still the best strikers we have and should have scored but only denied by a worldie save by their keeper.

Who would have expected us to beat Bradford and then Crwho.

It actually showed what a poor side Crwho are and I don’t expect them to be in the mix at the end of the season.

If we can now get the best out of Cullen we could actually reach the play offs ourselves
Joyce was exceptional and helped the young lads to perform well.

Legge and Smith had Porter in their pocket and he never got a sniff at goal.

Artells tactics to get his players to fall down at the slightest touch failed and even he admitted Vale were the better team.

Not sure Askey brought Popey on earlier on your recommendation.

Really enjoyed that. We did well to contain them and we made them look like an u23 side with their pointless sideways passing with no real end product.

The turning point of the game was undoubtedly pope coming on. For the uneducated amongst us, we continued to play the same way as we had all game, the difference being that Pope was holding the ball, bringing players in, winning free kicks and also he was running the channels too. Something we’d been lacking all game. 

The Midfield put a real shift in, as did Worrall and Amoo, however a couple of times late on Amoo lost his concentration and let players run off him. That side of his game isn’t his best attribute. I thought Monty struggled a bit first half, Not so much second, but with him going off injured it could leave us with even more of a problem at left back. But certainly in the first half they were looking to get at us down our left all the time. I thought the rest of defence had good games too, Legge and Smith especially, Legge was winning everything, what a defender he is. Gibbo made one slip second half that let them in but other that it seemed a mature performance without being too gung-ho. They all put their bodies on the line when they needed and did Crewe have any decent chances bar the one header straight at Brown near the end? Joyce kept us ticking over and Taylor and Burgess were everywhere but I can’t tell them apart!

Amoo and Pope arguably should have scored their headers, but it looked to be a great save by their keeper from Pope. 

Overall we were good value for the win, our game plan worked, the main substitution worked, everyone looked disciplined and we arguably made the best couple of chances of the game too. We limited them to very little, you can have the ball all you want but if all you’re going to do is keep it for the sake of keeping it then what’s the point?

Archived