onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

Match Thread: Crewe Alex v Port Vale

Fosse69

I think the fact that at last we have a manager who knows there is more to the side than playing just Pope ball is a big big factor. Mix it appropriate to the games as some have said on here.

Keep this momentum up and the play offs places will be contested after Vale have been promoted via the top three

Advert

Brilliant stuff today made all the more pleasing by the intellectually challenged Shunter sitting near us in the big stand. His star performance was when he kept calling Popey a paedophile (he was clearly an expert on the subject). I’d very much like to introduce him to Popey so he can say that to his face. I’ll even call the ambulance for him!!

Everything spot on.

Tactics, performance, subs, support, result.

We've beaten two teams who were top of the table when we played them, away from home; and arguably deserved both results. We're 2 points off the playoffs, 5 points behind Crewe (who you'd think were peak Barcelona by the way people go on about them), and 6 points off the top. We've beaten 3 of the top 4 in FGR, Crewe, and Bradford. We've lost 1 in 9, missing our first choice central midfielders. We haven't conceded a goal in open play in 4 games.

This is a very decent Vale side, full of likeable, hardworking players. Every single player put a shift in today. We outworked, outbattled, and were far more clinical when it came to creating high quality chances. Their keeper made a worldie from Pope's header; Worrall put one just wide; Amoo should have buried a free header late on. Brown had one save to make, and whilst it was decent, it was basically straight at him from close range. Crewe played some lovely football but didn't cause Brown any issues all day.

Superb from Legge. He is an absolutely brilliant centre half. Proper captain's performance. Should be the permanent captain; not a knock on Pope (who I'll come to) but Legge just has that confidence and aura, and the communication, that make him a brilliant captain. MOTM by a long way today. Imperious, and lovely to see him at the end. Proper in love with him.

Luke Joyce was again spot on. Great distribution and keeping a hold of the midfield where he was partnered by two young lads. Credit to Burgess and Taylor; did their jobs and covered the ground. Joycey is fundamental to us.

Final mention for Tom Pope. This was the Tom Pope of old, of 12/13 season. Best performance I've seen from him in a long, long time. His hold up play was superb, his willigness to chase balls and lay it off left their defenders in disarray. He had their centre halves panicking every time he touched the ball, and we looked genuinely dangerous with him on the pitch. Turned the game on its head and had Crewe on toast. Great save from their keeper aside, he's scored. Excellent stuff, and delightful to see.

We'll have some rough patches this season. I hope that when they occur, we have the common sense as a fanbase to see how far we've come. 6 months ago we had genuine fears of non-league at best, and administration/liquidation at worst. The fanbase was disengaged, the players weren't happy, and the club felt rotten.

What a difference 6 months makes. Cheers Askey, the boys, and especially Kevin and Carol. Genuinely grateful to have a club I can go and support and enjoy days like today with my old man. Apologies to the folk in my immediate vicinity when the goal went in.

Superb following as always lads and ladies. Well-behaved and the loudest in the lower leagues. Love the Vale, me.

Absolutely awesome today. The effort was fantastic and I’d have taken 0-0, as the effort was like something I have t witnessed for a long time. However the 0-1 victory makes things even better. Glad to see Pope getting a decent amount of time on the pitch. I felt his presence lifted the team. So thank you and a brilliant team performance, well done

18 minutes ago, PVFC764 said:

Well said, we are a team and club as a whole that is now transitioning from a club that has been run down to starting to function as a properly run football club.

If we can make the play offs at the end of the season, then that is a massive bonus for fans, players and owners.

Exactly... unfortunately there are a bunch of idiots (sorry, but that what I think they are) who:

- love to moan

- don’t appreciate the hard work it’s taken to turn this club around

- understand that a long term view is a better indication of improvement than a short term view

- hang on for a defeat so they can have a go

- single out individual players for vitriolic hatred

- think they know football better than JA,

- Want immediate success and love to talk the club down.

The annoying thing is that it’s a lazy, basic view of what’s going on and they get to shrug and enjoy the successes like today without people pouring out how f*****g daft they look!

Enjoy the win lads... But don’t worry, a result won’t go our way soon enough and you can start to question the manager again and moan your sacks off!

UTV

9 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Everything spot on.

Tactics, performance, subs, support, result.

We've beaten two teams who were top of the table when we played them, away from home; and arguably deserved both results. We're 2 points off the playoffs, 5 points behind Crewe (who you'd think were peak Barcelona by the way people go on about them), and 6 points off the top. We've beaten 3 of the top 4 in FGR, Crewe, and Bradford. We've lost 1 in 9, missing our first choice central midfielders. We haven't conceded a goal in open play in 4 games.

This is a very decent Vale side, full of likeable, hardworking players. Every single player put a shift in today. We outworked, outbattled, and were far more clinical when it came to creating high quality chances. Their keeper made a worldie from Pope's header; Worrall put one just wide; Amoo should have buried a free header late on. Brown had one save to make, and whilst it was decent, it was basically straight at him from close range. Crewe played some lovely football but didn't cause Brown any issues all day.

Superb from Legge. He is an absolutely brilliant centre half. Proper captain's performance. Should be the permanent captain; not a knock on Pope (who I'll come to) but Legge just has that confidence and aura, and the communication, that make him a brilliant captain. MOTM by a long way today. Imperious, and lovely to see him at the end. Proper in love with him.

Luke Joyce was again spot on. Great distribution and keeping a hold of the midfield where he was partnered by two young lads. Credit to Burgess and Taylor; did their jobs and covered the ground. Joycey is fundamental to us.

Final mention for Tom Pope. This was the Tom Pope of old, of 12/13 season. Best performance I've seen from him in a long, long time. His hold up play was superb, his willigness to chase balls and lay it off left their defenders in disarray. He had their centre halves panicking every time he touched the ball, and we looked genuinely dangerous with him on the pitch. Turned the game on its head and had Crewe on toast. Great save from their keeper aside, he's scored. Excellent stuff, and delightful to see.

We'll have some rough patches this season. I hope that when they occur, we have the common sense as a fanbase to see how far we've come. 6 months ago we had genuine fears of non-league at best, and administration/liquidation at worst. The fanbase was disengaged, the players weren't happy, and the club felt rotten.

What a difference 6 months makes. Cheers Askey, the boys, and especially Kevin and Carol. Genuinely grateful to have a club I can go and support and enjoy days like today with my old man. Apologies to the folk in my immediate vicinity when the goal went in.

Superb following as always lads and ladies. Well-behaved and the loudest in the lower leagues. Love the Vale, me.

Brilliant post! 

That, in short, was absolutely unreal.

Tactically we contained anything they tried to do, forced them into more long ball and Legge gobbled up everything they threw at them.

The subs were spot on, Pope really freshened things up. Evans performed gallantly in a role he can't have much experience, I really hope monty isnt too seriously hurt as he is beginning to grow into that role again and looks as good as when Aspin had him at LB at the end of his first year.

Standout players were Legge, Smith, Taylor, Burgess and Worrall. So difficult to pick a man of the match!

1 minute ago, Walka003 said:

Standout players were Legge, Smith, Taylor, Burgess and Worrall. So difficult to pick a man of the match!

Quite a choice. Worrall has been so consistently good this season I've started taking it for granted. Burgess bounced back from a shaky second half performance last week. Legge was immense. But he made one mistake, Smith was faultless as far as I could see, plus the assist for the goal. So Smith. Just.

Today Tom Pope underlined exactly why he should be starting games. He is over all a far better frontman than Bennett. Askey should take note all Tom needs is to be 'loved' by the manager and a small section of the fans,

Without our Tom we would be in the wilderness of non league. Ungrateful fans would do well to remember this fact. 

Well done today. Pope was exactly was needed at time. Bennett doesn't have those hold up skills but is mobile. I want to see Cullen in team - of type he is a Championship level player and will show that when fit.

Today Tom Pope underlined exactly why he should be starting games. He is over all a far better frontman than Bennett. Askey should take note all Tom needs is to be 'loved' by the manager and a small section of the fans,
  Without our Tom we would be in the wilderness of non league. Ungrateful fans would do well to remember this fact. 

Archived