Fosse69

Match Thread: Crewe Alex v Port Vale

Smaller ground, drier pitch should be more  favourable to a high tempo pressing game. Will the return of Worrall make all the difference? We may only be an average team but have to look upwards rather than  below as in previous seasons. Crewe are on a high so we need to show the  standard that we can achieve, in front of the largest Vale following this season, perhaps settle for a 2-2 draw. UTV. 

Brown

Gibbons Legge Smith Montano

Taylor Joyce Atkinson

Amoo Pope Worrall

Importance on that middle 3 battling and restricting space for Crewe's good footballers. Taylor to break forward and carry if he gets the chance. Got to get Amoo involved and confident early doors to give us something to work with going forward.

If we create little, bring Archer on and get him in behind. I'd almost be tempted to start him and go full counter attack; sit back, let Crewe pass it around as they like to do, then hit them with the pace of Gibbons, Montano, Amoo, Worrall, and Archer.

Big decisions for Askey. If he gets this wrong we could be in for a hammering.

Big decisions for Askey. If he gets this wrong we could be in for a hammering.

This argument was levelled against us before the Bradford game.

15 minutes ago, Mario said:

As far as the fans are concerned certainly a Bradford type performance is essential . Just hope the players realise that and dont deliver a Mac/Stevenage/Oldham  performance. Pressing, high tempo game essential from us .

1 hour ago, Mario said:

For the record, I think he'll get it right. As I've stated elsewhere on this forum, I quite like him.

I also think Crewe are a better and more dangerous side than Bradford. Smith nullified Vaughan and Monty held down Ismail and Bradford had no other options. Crewe have creativity everywhere on the pitch, there isn't one individual we can mark out of the game. Its going to need to be a proper solid team performance to get anything.

From a Crewe perspective, it’s difficult to call. It’s a local derby. It’s League Two. Anyone can beat anyone else. We will try to control possession but that doesn’t always mean anything in a derby match. We have some very good players, we’re building a good team, but come 3pm, who knows? I wouldn’t be surprised if it is a draw. 

9 minutes ago, Phil1965 said:

From a Crewe perspective, it’s difficult to call. It’s a local derby. It’s League Two. Anyone can beat anyone else. We will try to control possession but that doesn’t always mean anything in a derby match. We have some very good players, we’re building a good team, but come 3pm, who knows? I wouldn’t be surprised if it is a draw. 

Phil do you think you will be able to hang on to your better players until the end of the season ? and if you manage that  have you the back up in reserve to cover for injuries and suspensions ?

7 hours ago, Joe B said:

Brown

Gibbons Legge Smith Montano

Taylor Joyce Atkinson

Amoo Pope Worrall

That would probably be my team as well. A good shout.

1 hour ago, Mario said:

Phil do you think you will be able to hang on to your better players until the end of the season ? and if you manage that  have you the back up in reserve to cover for injuries and suspensions ?

It’s difficult to say what will happen in January. We have some excellent young players, Wintle, Pickering, Ng, Lowery, Kirk, Dale. If we can keep them, we have a chance of a memorable season. We also have some very good old heads, Nolan, Green and Porter who can let the youngsters play. Next Saturday will be interesting, just wish I could be there, but due to commitments my next game will be Northampton away on 16 Nov which is only a 45 min drive for me.

• Like 1

I was quite impressed with your run down on the Crewe team until you admitted that you’re not even going the game . ! #armchairfacts. No thanks 🙏 

Edited by DistantVale

19 minutes ago, DistantVale said:

I was quite impressed with your run down on the Crewe team until you admitted that you’re not even going the game . ! #armchairfacts. No thanks 🙏 

He might not be going but his assessment is pretty accurate,the fact he wont be there is neither here or there. 

1 hour ago, DistantVale said:

Ignore this waste of oxygen Phil, it's a wind up account. 

• Like 1

I did explain why I can’t get to many games due to my coaching commitments! I can only get to games within an hour’s drive most Saturdays, and Crewe is a 3 hour drive for me.

10 hours ago, DistantVale said:

What does that have to do with anything?? 

You do realise that every fan can’t make every game? 

#numpty 

Toughest game yet for us and I do fear a bit going into this one. We were very good against Bradford but still very lucky in that second half not to concede a couple. However it’s a derby so will hopefully be close. 

Brown 

gibbons smith legge montano

taylor Joyce Atkinson 

amoo bennett Worrall 

-----------------Brown----------------

--Gibbo--Legge--Smith--Monty--

-----Taylor--Joyce--Atkinson-----

-Worrall-------Pope--------Amoo-

Subs: Maddison, Bennett, Archer, Browne, Burgess, Evans, Brisley

Would only start with Pope up front as I think we need him in the side giving everyone else an idea of what is needed in terms of attitude for this game. If things aren't working after a while though, switch to Bennett/Archer. We also have more of a holding midfield this way, with the option of Burgess & Browne if needed later on.

Wasn't it mentioned that Conlon would be out for 5 weeks too, around 5 weeks ago? Swear when injury periods were stated by Askey, I counted it & he should be back for this Saturday (roughly). If fit, maybe have him on the bench instead of Evans. Could be useful.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A very tough game this one... They are on a roll and had had a break.

I would be delighted with a draw.

Unfortunately, if that doesnt happen, the short termist moaners will be out in force again!

Will be interested to see what Artell does tactically. His tactics and team selections arguably cost them in the last couple of meetings. WIll he resist the temptation to “whack it”?

• Haha 1