onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What are people’s thoughts on JA.

Playa Amodores

On 02/11/2019 at 20:44, Joe B said:

In response to Ernie Moss (I ballsed up the quote feature):

1 loss in 9, missing our two first choice midfielders.

No goals conceded from open play in our last 4.

Won our last away two games against teams who were top at kick off.

Unbeaten at home.

2 points off 7th, 6 off 1st.

Fantastic performance and memories today.

All on a reduced budget from last season and signings deemed 'not good enough'.

Vast improvement in Smith, Gibbons, Worrall, Joyce since he arrived.

Taylor, Burgess doing good jobs on a relative pittance.

Much better brand of football.

Askey isn't perfect but he's doing a good job. I know you're looking for attention but just thought I'd leave the above stats with you before I go and celebrate another good day for the Vale under John Askey. We have finished at the lower reaches of this table twice in succession, and when he took over there were some genuine concerns about non-league football this year.

Try and lighten up mate. You seem so negative at a time when the club's on a upwards trajectory for the first time in 4 years, and for the first time with solid foundations in about 20.

Just not getting carried away.

Check the statistics.

Neil Aspin P 78 W 24 D 31 L 31 - 31 per cent

John Askey P 36 W12 D 11 L13 - 33 per cent

Advert

4 hours ago, PV1973 said:

Ask the question after a game where we expect to get a result and don’t, (when this thread was Initially  started), then ask it after a win like the Crewe game and you’ll get different answers from some. 

Not from me you won't. If were not pushing for a playoff place next season then maybe JA is underchachieving so a new manager for 21/22 - until then unless we end up in a dog fight no change of manager for me.

23 minutes ago, The man in the pub said:

Maths wasn't my greatest strength but I did check the statistics and  24+31+31 = 86, if Aspin had 78 games what happened in the other 8 games ?

You can make stats suit any agenda (even one where you fake the stats to say what you want them to)

Ja took over a squad looking destined to go down last season and kept them up. It took him some time to get them playing the way he wanted and so I think it's unfair to judge him on a W% last season. Objective - keep us up. Objective achieved.

This season it's important to look at goals scored and win rate. Both stats look good to me! 

1 hour ago, Erniemossrules said:

Just not getting carried away.

Check the statistics.

Neil Aspin P 78 W 24 D 31 L 31 - 31 per cent

John Askey P 36 W12 D 11 L13 - 33 per cent

Take out the first 4 when he was still working on the team and wasn't his team for last season as a whole and the picture is very different.

41% win record this season (45% if include the cup games)

23.5% loss record (25% if including Cup)

Pretty decent with his own built side.

First time since Page that I've gone to games expecting us to at least challenge for a win. Admittedly sometimes we don't show up but giving fans that belief is an absolute godsend. I used to wonder why I was even listening on the radio, let alone travelling down for matches, and would never have wanted to put my little boy through a lifetime of supporting such a moribund club but it really feels like we're on an upwards trajectory now. We have a club worth supporting, at last.

17 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

Check Wickiepedia.

Much more reliable using Transfrmarkt or Soccerbase for stats rather than that. Wikipedia is nearly always completely out of date at the worst, or slightly incorrect at best. Until recently it showed Amoo as having played 0 games last season for Cambridge.

Aspin correct stats P78 W24 D23 L31 as per Soccerbase, your 31% was correct. Those games figures (draws?) must have been messed up in your previous post if copied from WP maybe. However, stats only show half the story IMO.

Surely it's clear for anyone who has been to the majority of games these season that we're a lot better than last season. Few garbage performances/results aside (Stevenage/Macc/Oldham/Grimsby), we look a decent side. Wobbles are to be expected, & given the last few years under NS, people would have to be insane to expect everything to go all smooth straight away & automatic promotion.

We are all entitled to our opinion but i can't believe resorting to comparison of stats is being used.

Anyone who can't see the difference is deluded, we are completely the opposite to what we were 12 months ago.

We have a bench now of first team possibles, we are playing way better football. There is a general positivity from ( most ) of our fan base. 

Yes we all get frustrated at the Oldham and Stevenage games. Is it a coincidence that four of our best wins are FGR, Plymouth, Bradford and Crewe ? All teams who wanted to play the game.

I'm sure JA himself knows we have to find a way against the spoilers and as of yet we haven't found the key. But this season is a breathe of fresh air to the last couple of years.

Knowing Vale we will struggle against a Carlisle team who are in the bottom few and then the haters will be out in force again.

If you can't accept that this team and squad is light years ahead of what has gone before then i give up. 

4 hours ago, The man in the pub said:

Maths wasn't my greatest strength but I did check the statistics and  24+31+31 = 86, if Aspin had 78 games what happened in the other 8 games ?

Ernie added 8 extra draws in for some reason, but the 31% win percentage s still correct

2 hours ago, Tomo said:

Much more reliable using Transfrmarkt or Soccerbase for stats rather than that. Wikipedia is nearly always completely out of date at the worst, or slightly incorrect at best. Until recently it showed Amoo as having played 0 games last season for Cambridge.

Aspin correct stats P78 W24 D23 L31 as per Soccerbase, your 31% was correct. Those games figures (draws?) must have been messed up in your previous post if copied from WP maybe. However, stats only show half the story IMO.

Nah, Wikipedia was correct, Ernie messed them up on his own

I love stats and all, but take a look at the Super Vale Away video from Saturday and tell me Askey hasn't done a good job with his squad in terms of creating a bit of unity and spirit in the club for the first time in nearly a decade.

Remember where this club was around February, then go to the back end of this vid.

We are a far better side and Askey is doing a cracking job of setting the foundations for the team to continue to improve.

Its both evident and obvious from our performances, the league table, strength of the squad and feeling of the vast vast vast majority of the fans.

Are we perfect... no.

Are we heading in the right direction after years of being made a laughing stock out of... yes.

Do the new owners, manager, backroom staff and Players deserve lots of credit, patience and support for that... absolutely!

Some people love a moan and that’s what makes them happy... picking up on any small blip in the slow and steady improvement of Port Vale, focusing on the shortest possible term view, having a dig and singling out individual players for vitriolic relentless abuse. It’s boring, basic and shows a lack of understanding in the turnaround that was both desperately needed and the effort it will take to complete the job.

As the old saying goes, there is nowt as queer as folk! 

Good article on Askey from ‘The sack race’

Before the moaners get accepted by their title, they are praising him and saying what a good job he is doing.

https://www.thesackrace.com/news/4th-november-2019/three-ways-port-vale-have-found-an-identity-under-john-askey

The three things they point out are:

1. Clear tactical style playing 433

2. Excellent depth and balance in the squad

3. Fan backing

Archived