onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What are people’s thoughts on JA.

Playa Amodores

I think as with the majority, there is an improvement this season and he was probably the best manager we could get at the time. I said to my Bradford supporting friend Tuesday night if we can have a couple of seasons mid-table I think we'll be in a better position to find a new manager that could push for promotion from this division.

Advert

On 27/10/2019 at 09:39, valefan16 said:

He is pretty much where Adams was in his first season, loads of draws and few defeats as he tries to turn the tide of 20 plus defeats a season.

This is the key point for me. People who hail Adams as a demi god forget that much of the first half of his first season was pretty grim, worse than the start to this season. We had good results at Shrewsbury and Crewe which masked a lot of poor performances. We then signed Craig Davies in January who got a few goals and we pushed on towards the play offs. 

Askey is doing fine with the resources he has at his disposal. I'm not overly keen on how long it takes him to change things that aren't working, but we should balance that off against the fact we are going to watch the team and there is a possibility we might venture into the opposition half more than once a month. 

I find it surprising seeing people bemoaning the lack of two strikers up front at home. Are these the same people that moan their heads off when we get carved open in midfield by teams who pack the middle taking advantage of us playing 4-4-2? It's happened so many times over the years, that it's about time one of our managers stopped it from happening. We play 4-3-3 (Mostly) at home and we're unbeaten in the league at VP. I'm sure the two are well-linked.

Askey wise, I think he's doing fine. I did the maths on Sunday and worked out we're on for 63 points if we carry on. I would be very happy for this season to play out like that and continue the rebuild next summer. When we play well, we look good. When we have an off day, we look bad. I think Iron Curtain mentioned short-termist attitudes to our performance. That's the way football is now, with social media etc. People want instant results, every win is a step towards glory and every defeat leaves people on the brink of despair. In the 2012-13 season we lost 10 games in the league and still got promoted. You can have a bad run and still do well. We play 46 games across the season, so every win/draw/defeat doesn't require some kind of peak/trough of attitude towards the team.

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 16:55, onestepatatime said:

So sorry that you can't read my posts in proper context.

Before ramming your feelings down my throat, try and see the whole of my text.

I was passing MY opinion and actually went on to state I hope he is long term successful, but oh my God I've rattled your cage , haven't I?

Don’t worry IC is a ******** who argues with himself because he has blocked all the users on here who disagree with him
Your posts are in context but he attacks anyone who hasn’t got the same opinion as him.

We all have different opinions on the Manager and players and should be free to express ourselves.

Put him on block and you won’t have to read his drivel and whining.

While I don't wish to call for his head I must say that I'm more than a little disappointed in Askey's team selection and tactics. I did think that any manager who could get a team like Macc into league 2 with a very small budget  must have both nous and ability. Sadly his use of Subs has been very poor up to press and a couple of his signings simply beggar belief and have proved to be a waste of money. 

Last season he said that we were lacking fire power up front with only Tom Pope being a credible, proven striker, Thought that was an accurate comment with a second striker on the field would help Popey especially with the signing of Amoo playing on the wing.

Up to now though he has been let us all down up with his tactic of still only playing with one frontman in most games this season. On this point if we only operate with one striker then it must be Tom Pope playing as though he lacks pace and always has, he is head and shoulders above the other options as a lone striker because of his superior heading ability and close ball control.

That said against the likes of Macc and Stevenage we should have gone for them with two men up front because if we fear these types of teams then goodness me we are in a poor state.

So come on John become more positive in your team selection and against Crewe give them something to think about by using a two pronged attack and if you do use one frontman then please use Popey because his record against them says it all!

On 27/10/2019 at 03:56, Jacob_123 said:

What on earth does Stoke have to do with it?

With them second bottom of there league it deflects the results we have as a lot of folk on the sites I go on are it seems more joyful over there results than our own .

Like I say I’ve only attended two games my third is sat Crewe away and in both games I enjoyed the application and performance level of the players involved in those games .

So I cannot really comment on recent home draws v Mansfield Stevenage and Oldham but I can say it beats losing all three like we have done in previous seasons badly to the said sides.

I will go on about his substitutions though as it seems he is more concerned about losing than trying to win games .

Archer showed in game v a higher league side that he can add something different to our final third so why hasn’t he being given the nod v Stevenage and Oldham second half at least and by the time he makes the subs it’s too late .

The every game supporters would be a better judge than me so i will leave it at that .

UTV 

Played two up front at Mac and was the worst performance of the season.

Were also on track to double the amount of goals scored in a season. JA stated he wanted more goals this season and he's got them. Job done.

I'll take the 433 / 451 anyday of the week. If we could only start getting clean sheets we will fly up this league. 

On ‎26‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 19:26, Wrex said:

Better than Jones and a much more decent man than Artell. I'd say he's an above average, steady manager and that given time he'll keep us progressing up through the leagues at a slow and steady pace.

Certainly isn't a tactical genius and his substitutions and inspirational speeches leave a lot to be desired but he knows what he's doing and I'm happy with him so far.

Not sure that he isn't a tactical genius, he has to work with the players he has been able to acquire, which may not be his first choice. Can't help that he is still saddled with our previous owners poor choice of players such as Trickett-Smith.

We’re not in a bad place. Askey is doing a good job with the means available to him.  I think he’s a good fit for the club where we are right now.  Is he perfect? No, but who is?  Any appointment in football, especially managerial, is a bit of a lottery.  You only have to look down the road to see that.  When you think about it, it’s a strange profession as  virtually all football managers are doomed to fail.

42 minutes ago, Emile said:

Played two up front at Mac and was the worst performance of the season.

Were also on track to double the amount of goals scored in a season. JA stated he wanted more goals this season and he's got them. Job done.

I'll take the 433 / 451 anyday of the week. If we could only start getting clean sheets we will fly up this league. 

The good news is that we apppear to be steadying the ship at the back; we haven't conceded from open play in our last 3 (2 penalties). Admittedly 2 of these games were Stevenage and Oldham but its a sign that we're beginning to tighten up. Npw its finding that balance where we create as many chances as we did earlier in the season too.

People calling for his head, please remember Rome wasn't built in a day. Askey hasn't even completed a full year yet as the Vale boss. For me it's clear to see the improvements he's made in short tenure. He's made us more attacking, more enjoyable to watch and has bought in more options all over the pitch.

He is taking us in the right direction. We are now looking up rather than constantly looking down. I can remember in the summer when Carol and Kevin purchased the club, people were saying that they would be pleased if we finished mid-table and that for me is very much going to happen. I think finishing anywhere between 10th to 14th would be a great success. Then we can go into the close season and get rid of some of the dead wood, but also keeping the core of the squad and then adding more quality to the squad. There is three or four that I would be happy to see leave but the rest I would be happy to see stay. Adding quality instead of quantity in the attack, midfield and defence would be brilliant. Then next season we could push for the play-offs.

I think people need to be careful what they wish for. Say we get rid of Askey like some people want, it's then a case of once again rebuilding. Letting a new manager bring in all of his own players and back room staff. That is something I don't want to see, it's happened way too often over the past five years.

My only real frustration with Askey is the fact that he leaves substitutions until the last 10 or 15 minutes, even though the majority of the fans are crying out for a change to get the three points instead of the one. The Stevenage and Oldham games spring to mind. At the end of the day though he is the manager and he can do whatever he wants.

Askey has got a three year deal, for me I would like to see him fulfil at least two years of them. Then if nothing is improving and we aren't pushing for at least the play-offs, then us as fans are then surely allowed to start to questioning Askey and the team. 

Vale fans remember we are state of transition. Carol and Kevin are still settling in and finding their feet. The club is still in a way damaged after the tenure of Norman, this whole process needs time. I believe it's very much on the way up.

Keep the faith Valiants! UTV!

Catch 22 situation with the subs I think. Most of them are coming back from injury or have had little match time. Evans coming on a s sub has showed what can happen if you bring players on too soon. The lack of reserve fixtures means that it is difficult to bring players back steadily, it is straight to the fast lane. 

Archived