onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What are people’s thoughts on JA.

Playa Amodores

12 hours ago, onestepatatime said:

Askey shows no emotion or umph, either in his interviews or his standing on the line watching the games. Maybe that's just his way, manner or demeanour, who knows? I would like to see more urgency from him or animation or attempts to show us fans that we want more than just "adequate"

Jesus Christ... that’s what you are judging him on?! Seriously? How animated he is? Really?

Nathan Jones is as animated as they come... that working well!

Wow... just wow!

Advert

I'm trying to Look at it from the new owners point of view :

We are new to this and need a steady manager who isn't going to rock the boat or try and spend money we simply don't have.

He knows the lower leagues, he's a local man who knows the club and what the fans expexctations are.

He kept us up and has only had limited time and money to bring in the sort of player he wants.....add to that the way the club was possibly percieved in football circles and the fact we were pretty much nailed on for another relegation dogfight and you can see why players are not queing up at the doors.

Slow and steady on and off the field, that's the way to progress and that's whats happening.

From my point of view he's doing a good job, the eleven on the pitch look like a 'team', opposition teams are coming here with a plan to not lose and that's testament to how we are now being viewed. Askey needs to find a way to unlock stubborn teams but 8 games at home undefeated is excellent in my opinion.

No need to get on his back, give him and the team time.       

1 hour ago, Iron Curtain said:

Jesus Christ... that’s what you are judging him on?! Seriously? How animated he is? Really?

Wow... just wow!

How wrong can you be, Leicester fan on hearing the team news on Friday night "Can't believe chilly is getting picked again. Guys been so poor lately hope he has a good game tonight but if it's another poor game I'd drop him the next league game! " So Chilwell a full back goes on to score the first of 9 goals." 

keep moaning chaps it sometimes works.

I’d say it’s been a real mixed bag. We have looked better under the last 2/3 games at home under askey and more attacking. But far worse away from home imo. I think he’s a tactacially decent manager who sets us up quite well and organised again for the most part. But it seems there is no plan B. When we try something else it seems to fail miserably. My biggest issue and I’ve mentioned it basically every single match is his use of the subs. It’s far too negative. Saturday was another example of this. You have pope, archer and Cullen on the bench, nothing is happening in the game so change it. Change the system and try to take the three points instead of being happy with one or waiting until they score and then change it. 

Signings have been ok, archer for me looks looks the pick of the bunch but isn’t getting a look in. Again the other criticism for me was askey signing too many non league players that simply are not good enough and we have seen that particular with Lloyd and Kennedy. 

Happy with where we are in the league table but so so frustrated, it feels that in the macc, Stevenage and Oldham game if we had just taken it to them and made some offensive subs we could and should be sitting higher than we are. League looks extremely average, still think I’ve only seen Plymouth down the vale who looked half decent! 

Finish where we are at the end of the season we’ve done well and imo progressed not what some would call progression where we finish 16th... 

if we are 5 points off the play offs come January I’d like to think askey is given a bit of money to have a go at it this season. We’re only 1/2 players off. Overall a mixed bag on askey. Decent manager and the best since Adams imo (not saying a lot) but needs to improve on his subs! 

11 hours ago, Iron Curtain said:

Wow... just wow!

So sorry that you can't read my posts in proper context.

Before ramming your feelings down my throat, try and see the whole of my text.

I was passing MY opinion and actually went on to state I hope he is long term successful, but oh my God I've rattled your cage , haven't I?

1 hour ago, CAVALIER said:

What knowledge does he have of the lower leagues? He’s been non league most of the time 

I want him to do well but I’m sure he’d be the first to admit he’s still learning. 

He had more managerial knowledge of the lower leagues than our previous four managers!

1 hour ago, onestepatatime said:

So sorry that you can't read my posts in proper context.

Before ramming your feelings down my throat, try and see the whole of my text.

I was passing MY opinion and actually went on to state I hope he is long term successful, but oh my God I've rattled your cage , haven't I?

As stated many times... there is a difference between hoping someone succeeds and supporting them.

It was a pretty stupid comment you made / opinion you had, so yeah that made me a little animated.

I thought you liked that and reacted well to people thumping their chest and getting animated Nathan Jones style?

When John was appointed I did think here we go, another cheap option. But he's had a solid start and I am happy with where we are in the table. Our squad isn't the strongest due to a smaller budget but we've got something to build off. Baring in mind where we could have been had Carol and Kevin not bought the club. I don't know what more people want! We have some stability for once. Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

On 27/10/2019 at 08:56, onestepatatime said:

We are certainly better off in many ways now than the past couple pf seasons, but, there always remains a but...……

So far we have done OK under his leadership but , sorry, fellow Valiants the long term future remains a question mark for me.

Askey shows no emotion or umph, either in his interviews or his standing on the line watching the games. Maybe that's just his way, manner or demeanour, who knows? I would like to see more urgency from him or animation or attempts to show us fans that we want more than just "adequate"

I hope to see him succeed here, I really do but for the moment I'm sitting on the fence.

Good managers do their work before the game. All the animation on the touch line is just for show.

I think he's taking us in the right direction, but some of his in game decision making is baffling. He leaves making changes until far to late, and some of the changes he does make are bewildering (swapping Atkinson for Gibbons vs Stevenage when we had Archer and Browne on the bench for example). I also think there still has to be questions about his transfers in the summer, given that some just don't seem up to the required standard. 

Still, we are getting close to half way through the season and we are 11th. If we finish there it will be a season of progress and hopefully a platform to push on from.

6 hours ago, CAVALIER said:

What knowledge does he have of the lower leagues? He’s been non league most of the time 

I want him to do well but I’m sure he’d be the first to admit he’s still learning. 

Exactly.  Bit like the Chuckle Brothers.  What do they know, jumped up PE Teachers from Concord Rangers!   They’ll never achieve anything in the pro game.

Likewise those lower league players Dyche, Howe and Smith will never crack it in the Premier League.

Before you know it you will have non league players like Mourinho, Benitez and Klopp having the audacity to think they can win the Champions League! 

Archived