onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What are people’s thoughts on JA.

Playa Amodores

8 hours ago, Vale fan in Alsager said:

He is doing ok .

Substitutions too slow .

The only reason why folk think he is the business is because Stoke are doing so poorly .

The last 3 home games the performance levels have generally being quite poor .

So I’d say he is 4/10 manager MA was a 8 Rudge a 9 Sinnott a minus 15 Brown a minus 14 .

He is managing a club though where the chairfolk are supportive there is lots to do as  we can not continue to play poorly and pick up points as eventually karma will deliver defeats eventually so we need him to be 45 per cent than what he is doing up to  yet UTV 

Playing poorly? Were you there on Tuesday? We were ok yesterday and probably the better of the 2 teams. Their wage budget massively above ours.Had we put that early chance away, they'd have had to open up and it may have been much better.

Ifs, buts and maybes. We're a lot better than we were last year. We won't be worrying about relegation this year.

Advert

1 hour ago, Joe B said:

I was making the point that certain elements of our fanbase will undoubtedly turn on him should Novemeber and December not go to plan - we have people in this thread calling for him to be sacked immediately after 4 points from 2 games, unbeaten at home in 8, no goals from open play conceded in 3, and sitting 11th and a favourable turn of results away from being right in the playoff picture, on a lower budget than last season and our most talented player for all but 3 games.

The "certain elements" will be disappointed then,Askey should and will be given the time,there is far too much knee jerk reactions to football managers,anyone appointed in his place will have failed somewhere else or will be a gamble.

Fortunately our club is run by people who will keep a steady hand on the tiller and anyone suggesting he should go after December needs to give their head a wobble. 

8 hours ago, onestepatatime said:

Askey shows no emotion or umph, either in his interviews or his standing on the line watching the games. Maybe that's just his way, manner or demeanour, who knows? I would like to see more urgency from him or animation or attempts to show us fans that we want more than just "adequate"

This one always comes up and it makes no difference whatsoever to the performance levels. 

Brown used to rant and rave/show passion/argue with officials.  Rudgey often used to sit in the little Lorne Street stand until well into the 2nd half.  

who’s style to you think was most effective? Every individual is different - there is no right and wrong.

Re: Askey, I am generally happy With the progress we have made.  Last year if we had lost Manny so early in the season we would have been down by Christmas.  This year we are steadily picking up points, have a game plan, create more chances and more players who can score.  Squad overall is better and he has only had 1 transfer window.  Given time I am sure we will prosper - it was never an overnight fix.

John Askey kept us in the Football League and has bought in some decent players this close season who have improved the squad but it's still a work in progress  and going in the right direction. Vale are playing much more attractive football, are better organized and are much more of an attacking threat but the downside is we are more inconsistent. If Vale could find a more consistent formation we could push for or even make the play-offs.

On the downside I cannot understand why JA doesn't make substitutions earlier in a game, the Oldham game being a prime example, Pope and Cullen only given 10-15 mins to make an impact, just not enough time.

Overall I'm pleased with what JA has done and pleased what the Shanahan's have done, people close to the club say the whole club is in a better state and place than this time last year.

When I started this discussion, I wanted to hear ppl’s opinions so thank you for your contributions. It wasn’t a matter of if should JA be sacked, that is not up for discussion IMO. I question his inability to break down poor teams, with games offering very little entertainment. I struggle to understand why Archer isn’t getting on the pitch and notice that the attendance yesterday was 4,300, with 500 of those being Oldham fans. You could say that the weather could have accounted for some spectators but that leaves a home attendance of 3,800, which is a far cry from the 5,000, that we were hoping for at the start of the season. To go forward and improve our team for next year we need to be bringing in more revenue. Some who didn’t attend could be season ticket holders so it doesn’t matter, as the club has their money. I wanted to finish a comfortable 14th, however I’m beginning to think that we could be putting ourselves under pressure come the end of the season and I don’t want to go through all that again.

The problem is that Askey doesn’t learn from his mistakes.

Still playing one up front against teams like Stevenage and Oldham.

Whoever formulated the corner tactics needs sacking they were wasted opportunities where we could have scored.

We need to take our chances when available.

The pressing game seems to have been abandoned and we sit back inviting them to come forward and put us under pressure.

Just hope the players turn up at Crewe and don’t stand off them and allow them to play.

Same as last year in their faces and bully them off the park.

Suppose Artell will do his usual crying to the ref to protect his players before the match.

The problem is that Askey doesn’t learn from his mistakes.

Still playing one up front against teams like Stevenage and Oldham.

Whoever formulated the corner tactics needs sacking they were wasted opportunities where we could have scored.

We need to take our chances when available.

The pressing game seems to have been abandoned and we sit back inviting them to come forward and put us under pressure.

Just hope the players turn up at Crewe and don’t stand off them and allow them to play.

Same as last year in their faces and bully them off the park.

Suppose Artell will do his usual crying to the ref to protect his players before the match.

Sick of seeing people say the pressing game has been abandoned... its hard to do every game at the best of times. It was evident in spells at Bradford but was never going to be used yesterday due to not having our fittest player available and playing on a heavy pitch. People who bang on about us not using it all 90 every game don’t understand football.

31 minutes ago, Jacob_123 said:

Sick of seeing people say the pressing game has been abandoned... its hard to do every game at the best of times. It was evident in spells at Bradford but was never going to be used yesterday due to not having our fittest player available and playing on a heavy pitch. People who bang on about us not using it all 90 every game don’t understand football.

So we lose one player to suspension and cannot beat poor teams like Oldham.

It was poor tactics from set pieces and lack of effort that nearly cost us the game.

I don’t expect our team to press at all times but just more effort to push forward and support our forward(s).

It is two steps forward one step back after a good win at Bradford.

In my view it’s lazy and unintelligent to sit back and demand good results at all times.

Its childish and divisive to only comment when your club loses, only having a dig when you don’t get the result you want without considering things like the opposition trying to close down a game, or the squad dealing with injuries or missing players.

Its lazy to moan without trying to understand the context of the challenges faced in turning around a football club that has been a laughing stock for years.

It’s easy to moan and criticise and, if things turn out better, to just sit back and take the joy with a shrug of the shoulders and not appreciate that you were wrong and sounded like a short sighted fool who demanded success without understanding the challenges to achieve it.

Just my opinion of course, but some of you don’t half sound like you know **** all! 

21 minutes ago, Erniemossrules said:

So we lose one player to suspension and cannot beat poor teams like Oldham.

It was poor tactics from set pieces and lack of effort that nearly cost us the game.

I don’t expect our team to press at all times but just more effort to push forward and support our forward(s).

It is two steps forward one step back after a good win at Bradford.

I agree, its a case of mixing it up and the frustrating thing is these players are capable and this should be the next step in addressing...with regards to askey he is doing ok nothing to get high about nor down in the dumps, but we have players who can come in to cover injuries not as others have said first time pro's or chancers- think he has done good work with much room for improvement and hopefully he will grow and mature with the team by keeping whats good changing whats not where possible..think we will/have become a more stable attractive environment to attract players under C & K  (inc JA)so expect the stock again to rise next year.

This year expected mid to lower table but don't see anyone to be afraid of , on our day we can beat anyone,,just gotta believe in ourselves more .

Slow and steady seems to be Askey's way. Sometimes it can seem a bit too slow, too steady. There isn't just one way. It's necessary to change gear sometimes.

I was critical of the changed formation at the time, but now think he was trying different ways to get the best out of his players.

The squad is coping well considering we lost two first choice midfielders.

We seem to be becoming a team that is difficult to beat and more able to defend effectively.

He seems to be developing a good team spirit.

Would like to see earlier substitutions.

All in all, I'd say doing pretty well.

22 points from 16 is decent given the start we were given and the disruptive injuries.

12 hours ago, onestepatatime said:

Askey shows no emotion or umph, either in his interviews or his standing on the line watching the games. 

Neither did Arsene Wenger. I don’t judge a manager by how much he jumps about and screams on the touchline otherwise Barry Fry would have won the World Cup!!

Askey is doing OK. Give the bloke a chance. 

10 minutes ago, Jacko51 said:

Neither did Arsene Wenger. I don’t judge a manager by how much he jumps about and screams on the touchline otherwise Barry Fry would have won the World Cup!!

Askey is doing OK. Give the bloke a chance. 

Or runs to the home support after a rare victory punching his chest and waving his arms around like a maniac,I agree leave Askey alone.

Archived