onevalefan.co.uk Present Past Specials About Forum
onevalefan.co.uk forum

Advert

Advert

What are people’s thoughts on JA.

Playa Amodores

Advert

It’s frustrating being a Vale fan, what with the impatience of some fans. 

Where do these fans expect us to be? There’s no given in this league. Everyone’s fighting for something & every point is hard to get.

Last year we lost 13 games at home! We’re unbeaten in 8 so far. That for me is big progress. If we give Askey more than 5 minutes, he might actually be able to build something.

We are certainly better off in many ways now than the past couple pf seasons, but, there always remains a but...……

So far we have done OK under his leadership but , sorry, fellow Valiants the long term future remains a question mark for me.

Askey shows no emotion or umph, either in his interviews or his standing on the line watching the games. Maybe that's just his way, manner or demeanour, who knows? I would like to see more urgency from him or animation or attempts to show us fans that we want more than just "adequate"

I hope to see him succeed here, I really do but for the moment I'm sitting on the fence.

1 hour ago, Woakesy said:

It’s frustrating being a Vale fan, what with the impatience of some fans. 

Where do these fans expect us to be? There’s no given in this league. Everyone’s fighting for something & every point is hard to get.

Last year we lost 13 games at home! We’re unbeaten in 8 so far. That for me is big progress. If we give Askey more than 5 minutes, he might actually be able to build something.

Agree, we are in a position now, that to do worse at home than last season, we would have to lose ALL our remaining home games.

Granted we won’t win them all, but no way will we lose them all.

That to me is progress.

I’m happy enough, he’s made a few mistakes but also seems more tactically astute than recent managers, his Bradford plan worked and the tactical review of how we beat Plymouth was excellent.

Fans wanted steady progress but are now moaning we aren’t flying at the top so it’s a thankless task really.

He’s trying to set up a certain way of playing and bringing a type of player and put a team together, so far he’s had one window to do that.

At the moment I look at the games and think “if we’d just turned some of the draws into wins” we are that far away from challenging now which is miles closer than we were six months ago!

He is pretty much where Adams was in his first season, loads of draws and few defeats as he tries to turn the tide of 20 plus defeats a season.

He's doing fine. Not pulling up any trees but we are undoubtedly in a better position than last season.

As people have mentioned, we currently sit 11th. In Adams' first full season (I concede Askey has had longer due to his spell last season but that was largely spent fire-fighting in an effort to keep us up rather than long-term planning), we finished 10th, with him being commended on the Wiki page for that season as "He took a squad of players that had previously been near the bottom of the division and made them difficult to beat, taking them to a tenth-place finish, just outside the play-offs." I see a similar trend this year; harder to beat, much more competitive. Adams also inherited Marc Richards, who bagged 23 that season (not for one minute suggesting Askey is as good as Adams, just that even with great managers it can take a season to arrest a long-term decline and re-energise a club).

That's what I'm seeing here. We've drawn the most in the division but we aren't losing many. We're beating some big teams; Bradford and Plymouth spring to mind, as well as 4th place Forest Green, who we outplayed. These ar largely due to good tactical decision making.

There are undoubted flaws; he struggles away from home, he is cautious in his subs, his desire to protect the middle of the park leaves us with one up top which inevitably leads to struggles up front, we can't seem to break down poor teams, especially at home. He's by no means a perfect manager, and in fact I'd say he's no more than a steady manager.

Signings; some massive balls up - Lloyd, Crooks, Kennedy seem to be obvious mistakes but wouldn't have cost much. Cullen has been hampered by injuries but thats been the story of his career for the last few seasons, so due dilligence maybe wasn't done there. On the other hand, Taylor, Amoo, Burgess, Bennett, and Archer all seem to have added something to the squad. The scouting and recruitment at the club simply has to get more efficient and effective this coming summer; we can't rely on Askey signing players he knows. We need to be more intelligent if we're going to compete with the top 7 in the next season.

People calling for him to be sacked, however, after 8 games unbeaten at home, no goals conceded from open play in 3 games, and within touching distance of the playoffs as the season really gets going, are being silly. We are missing our first choice midfielders, and currently have a lad with about 15 games in professional football and a lad playing his first senior football ever on loan replacing them, and we're not losing games.

Reading this back there are positives and negatives to every aspect of his management; tactics, signings, team selection. He's a League 2 manager managing a League 2 squad, after two years of being managed by non-league managers managing non-league squads + Tom Pope, with ownership from a Sunday League chairman.

He's fine. Let him continue. Re-evaluate post season. Anything lower than 14th, questions need to be asked. Anything higher than 10th, hats off. Anything in between, its as expected, and IMHO that's exactly where we're going to end up. A cup run, either FA or Leasing, is crucial; that extra £100,000 could be the difference in getting a good striker in and having to make do as we are.

This run up to Christmas will define him.

Scenario 1; we win the two cup games coming and make a healthy profit, boosting the budget moving forward. After a good performance in a tough Crewe game, we take 10 points out of the 4 games against Carlisle, Scunthorpe, Crawley, and Walsall (currently 20th, 22nd, 17th, and 21st), leaving us on the edge of the playoffs as we come into a very tough Christmas schedule against 3 good sides (Cheltenham, Swindon, Mansfield). We go into these full of optimism and bumper crowds, leaving a money pot to work with in January to maybe get us in contention for the top 7.

Scenario 2; a disaster and defeat at Gresty Road, knocked out of the FA Cup, we struggle to break down poor sides at the bottom end of the table and enter the Christmas period somewhere around 14th-16th. Likely defeats to good sides leaves us in little better position than we were at a similar time under Aspin. January then becomes very important/panic buy session and the fans grow impatient.

Its those 4 games against relegation threatened clubs that are going to dictate things. Big few weeks coming up.

12 hours ago, toyahw said:

We weren't 3rd bottom when he took over.... get your facts right. Our record under him was worse than under Aspo last season. Pts per game, goals per game. Don't get me wrong I'm not yearning for Aspo. But ideas of some kind of transformation, other than slight, are wide of the mark.

Like most sensible discussions on the manager I was taking a wider, longer term  view than the VERY DAY he took over... we were a poor poor side for years.

He has taken us to within 5 points of the playoffs, unbeaten at home, scoring more goals (something the moaners moaned about last year) with a better equipped squad to deal with a horrid run of injuries.

That’s off a base of players being unmotivated and working in an environment that would crush the most positive of mentalities under Smurthwaite.

its a slow rebuild... Askey is doing a good job.

Anyone morning and comparing specific points in specific dates is a short termist fool... short termism is the curse of football.

Grow up, think about it a little bit and realise that to turn the titanic isn’t easy.

If you want instant success then league two, sustainably gained improvement isn’t for you.

However, I know the majority of moaners are like that because they are massively passionate about the club... which is great, but you HAVE to stop digging in whenever a result goes against us.

We will finish in a better position than last year, I hope by some distance. That’s great.

Next year Askeys job will be to build on that, and then again the year after.

If he doesn’t, THEN start moaning... but Jesus wept, to moan you sack off because the man who took us to writhin touching distance of the playoffs didn’t get a result is, in my opinion, unintelligent and shows a major lack of understanding.

This pattern of people keeping quiet after a win and then coming out guns blazing after a disappointing result is a bit daft.

23 minutes ago, Joe B said:

Scenario 1; we win the two cup games coming and make a healthy profit, boosting the budget moving forward. After a good performance in a tough Crewe game, we take 10 points out of the 4 games against Carlisle, Scunthorpe, Crawley, and Walsall (currently 20th, 22nd, 17th, and 21st), leaving us on the edge of the playoffs as we come into a very tough Christmas schedule against 3 good sides (Cheltenham, Swindon, Mansfield). We go into these full of optimism and bumper crowds, leaving a money pot to work with in January to maybe get us in contention for the top 7.

Scenario 2; a disaster and defeat at Gresty Road, knocked out of the FA Cup, we struggle to break down poor sides at the bottom end of the table and enter the Christmas period somewhere around 14th-16th. Likely defeats to good sides leaves us in little better position than we were at a similar time under Aspin. January then becomes very important/panic buy session and the fans grow impatient.

Its those 4 games against relegation threatened clubs that are going to dictate things. Big few weeks coming up.

I note that your worst case scenario has us around 15th... which before the season people were saying was expected.

27 minutes ago, Joe B said:

What’s the underlying message of this post then? If things don’t well in the period you mention that  he should be gone?

8 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

What’s the underlying message of this post then? If things don’t well in the period you mention that  he should be gone?

No... the message of that post was that if thinks don’t go well over that period, we will be exactly where people thought we would be this a year. 

If we perform ok, we will be better than expected... until people start changing their expectations that is.

21 minutes ago, Iron Curtain said:

I note that your worst case scenario has us around 15th... which before the season people were saying was expected.

Well, worst case is being 15th going into Cheltenham, Mansfield, and Swindon. That could leave us in a bit of a precarious position going into New Year.

20 minutes ago, PV1973 said:

Nope. As stated in the post prior I think he's doing decently.

Just 6 of the next 7 games (Crewe, MK Dons in the Cup, and then the 4 sides below 17th) will most likely dictate how this season is viewed. I probably wouldn't move to sack Askey at all until the season is over. I would like a manage to last a full season for the first time in 3-4 years.

I was making the point that certain elements of our fanbase will undoubtedly turn on him should Novemeber and December not go to plan - we have people in this thread calling for him to be sacked immediately after 4 points from 2 games, unbeaten at home in 8, no goals from open play conceded in 3, and sitting 11th and a favourable turn of results away from being right in the playoff picture, on a lower budget than last season and our most talented player for all but 3 games.

Archived